The "I will ride _____km in 2024" thread - commit and conquer here!!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
f&^% 430am -thats still the night before

as for lights i use the magic shine 872, plenty of light [1500lm]& a nice wide beam -almost never need full power [incl racing at you yangs fri nights]

as one i recommend is the fyxo king bright v5 -its 800 lumen, not as bright as magic shine but still handy -bit lighter

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
They're solid distances for some one only new to riding.
If you meant me, only new to the road. I'm looking to pull my mtb rides up from 30 odd to around 60km and really can't fit the time in during the week. I'm also planning to use the roadie to finally hit some of my long term goals ie 100km races and 24hrs.

And I'm sick of running.

And n+1 ( even if it is a road bike)

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
My brain has turned to mush as in days gone by I could have done this in my head - instead I had to get my son to work it out. I am factoring in that my new bike will only take three weeks to put together, so with commuting (28km round trip) and lazy days plus trips that should be about 3500km for the year. If I 'commit' to 3200 is that cheating (I can see lazy days happening a bit...)

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Up to 879km after a 100km ride today, Bobbin Head, down to Brooklyn and back. And just cracked 10,000m elevation as well. Commuting to work definitely helps with the km's, plus I always feel better getting to ride to and from work each day. Makes for great wake-up and unwind time, respectively.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
Up to 879km after a 100km ride today, Bobbin Head, down to Brooklyn and back. And just cracked 10,000m elevation as well. Commuting to work definitely helps with the km's, plus I always feel better getting to ride to and from work each day. Makes for great wake-up and unwind time, respectively.
nice ride...! 100km always takes work...theyre never 'easy' ;)

Elbo

nice ride...! 100km always takes work...theyre never 'easy' ;)
Thanks! Did a bit better on the nutrition front too. Left the gels at home, took 2 muesli bars and plenty of water, and stopped for an iced coffee in the last 10km. Chicken Pad Thai for an early dinner.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
Thanks! Did a bit better on the nutrition front too. Left the gels at home, took 2 muesli bars and plenty of water, and stopped for an iced coffee in the last 10km. Chicken Pad Thai for an early dinner.
thats pretty much the way i'd approach a 100km day ....couple bars to get you home if needed & i often do an arvo coffee for a boost. more for the caffeine rather than sugar...
chicken pad thai sounds like an ideal post big ride dinner...again im just a hack but i know what works for me and that sounds like a really better way than going the gels & sportsdrinks & subway & coke (<???)

pretty happy with my diet @ the moment ...heaps of veg & brown rice, salads, some fruit & lean meat has pretty much got me back on track. lost a couple kilo, feeling lighter/nimble on the bike, riding everyday...feels good when diet/riding/rest all come together

Last edited:

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
got in a ride everyday last week...265.8km of dirt & gravel inc. 2x near death snake encounters :Banane39:

current dist/dur:
Distance 1,334.4 km
Time 66h 9m
Avg Distance / Week 274 km
Avg Time / Week 13h 27m

Last edited:

Elbo

Cracked the 1000km mark this weekend. Currently sitting on 1068km, 12300m vertical, average on 157km/week for the last 4 weeks. Target is just over 170km/week to reach my goal of 9000km.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
Cracked the 1000km mark this weekend. Currently sitting on 1068km, 12300m vertical, average on 157km/week for the last 4 weeks. Target is just over 170km/week to reach my goal of 9000km.
good work man. weekly/monthly targets are the best way to do it... ;)

had a pretty quiet week bike wise with only 2 x rides then made up for it a bit with a 100km gravel grind yesterday...
Distance 1,500.2 km
Avg Rides / Week 5
Avg Distance / Week 253 km
Avg Time / Week 12h 24m

Daniel Hale

progressing ok, steady week-80km with 1600m

yearly ticked over 900km, 11K elevation, just on 52hrs. 4000km MTB km's still looking good, not so sure about 5 now. do plan on a big week this week

I know that for some Strava is a dirty word, but don't you believe what you seen or you heard

I joined a couple of challenges this month, and they have been really effective for motivating me to get oot on the bike.

It looks like I will meet the climbing challenge of 4,500 VM this month and next weekend I'm aiming for a 100km ride which will be my longest ever ride (though I will admit this ride will have to be on the roadie and thus probably counts for one lap of OMV).

My only riding partners are my kids so Strava is a good way for me to keep on keeping on. My wife gets upset at me for admonishing my ten year old for not wanting to do a second lap of Awaba.

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
Well I finally got my roadie yesterday and had my first ride this morning. Nothing too spectacular, but 17km in 40 min. Im happy with that as a start.

I really like this thread. It has geed me up to not use the no time to ride excuse.

Still no distance commitment though.

Daniel Hale

It looks like I will meet the climbing challenge of 4,500 VM this month and next weekend I'm aiming for a 100km ride which will be my longest ever ride (though I will admit this ride will have to be on the roadie and thus probably counts for one lap of OMV).
QUOTE]

i should meet this one also -i might sign on the last day knowing i have qualified :first:, dont want to sign up for something i won't do -