The "I will ride _____km in 2024" thread - commit and conquer here!!

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've found the use of a spreadsheet is really helping me towards my target (6038km) - It's got a req'd rate of 16.5km / day, I enter in the previous day's riding, and it spits out exactly how far I'm ahead / behind the required at that date. Only 50km behind now after a lazy start to the year!

Winter is going to be the tough bit - really want to get well ahead of the req'd kms before those colds months kick in, don't want to be 500km behind after winter and go "oh well" and give up on the goal.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Up to 879km after a 100km ride today, Bobbin Head, down to Brooklyn and back. And just cracked 10,000m elevation as well. Commuting to work definitely helps with the km's, plus I always feel better getting to ride to and from work each day. Makes for great wake-up and unwind time, respectively.
Nothing better than riding to/from work. I did a 65 hour week in 5 days last week but still managed to ride all days. No matter how worn out I was I still loved the 'me time' the bike gave me. Having your fav trails between home and work doesn't hurt either!!

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
. I did a 65 hour week in 5 days last week but still managed to ride all days. No matter how worn out I was I still loved the 'me time' the bike gave me.
fuck yeah...nice dedication. :whoo:

ive always had a lot of respect for day in/day out commuters...i can imagine some days weather, fatigue, load luggin can be a pain in the ass.
great thing is when you ride daily ive found strength & endurance gains are much greater (as long as you dont overdo it)

On the weekend I undertook a ride that was the equivalent of what would be my one way commute both in terms of total distance and vm.

No way I'm commuting !!!

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I've found the use of a spreadsheet is really helping me towards my target (6038km) - It's got a req'd rate of 16.5km / day, I enter in the previous day's riding, and it spits out exactly how far I'm ahead / behind the required at that date. Only 50km behind now after a lazy start to the year!
I do the same. I have a spreadsheet with a page for each month linked to graphs on the final page.

Those graphs also have the K's from the last few years in as a comparison

should hit 3000km on Friday.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Nothing better than riding to/from work. I did a 65 hour week in 5 days last week but still managed to ride all days. No matter how worn out I was I still loved the 'me time' the bike gave me. Having your fav trails between home and work doesn't hurt either!!
I usually opt for the roadie for commuting, as there's no trails between home and work, but that would be great to hit some singles on the way to and from work! Yesterday, Epping Road was backed up from Wicks Road to Centennial Avenue, I couldn't count all the cars I passed, but in a short stretch up from the Lane Cove River I lost count at around 50 cars… on a 4 lane road, that's 200 cars! Why anyone insists on driving single-occupant cars in Sydney in beyond me.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
fuck yeah...nice dedication. :whoo:

ive always had a lot of respect for day in/day out commuters...i can imagine some days weather, fatigue, load luggin can be a pain in the ass.
great thing is when you ride daily ive found strength & endurance gains are much greater (as long as you dont overdo it)
I'm not day-in/day-out, but usually manage 4 out of 5 days. Definitely get home feeling a lot more worn out, but I'm also not wasting 6hrs of my life every week sitting in a car. I'll vouch for your claim of strength and endurance gains, never felt better than this last year that I've been commuting most days. Highly recommend it, does wonders for your mental state too I feel.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm not day-in/day-out, but usually manage 4 out of 5 days. Definitely get home feeling a lot more worn out, but I'm also not wasting 6hrs of my life every week sitting in a car. I'll vouch for your claim of strength and endurance gains, never felt better than this last year that I've been commuting most days. Highly recommend it, does wonders for your mental state too I feel.
Not to mention the waste line! It justifies my cake habit.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
As I only ride off road the tally has had a setback with that last lot of rain . Way too wet to ride the trails so I`m now about 180 km behind . If this warm weather stays I should make it up no worries .

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
As I only ride off road the tally has had a setback with that last lot of rain . Way too wet to ride the trails so I`m now about 180 km behind .
180km behind.tackle the otway 300 300km/5000 elevation... if you dont like getting wet otways isn't the place to ride though

MarioM

Likes Dirt
180km behind.tackle the otway 300 300km/5000 elevation... if you dont like getting wet otways isn't the place to ride though
Its not that I don`t like riding in the wet , and I do when its not too heavy , but the rain we had this way was torrentialand bogged the trails badly , plus I`m not a fan of destroying a trail for the sake of a ride .

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
122km ahead, been doing quite a lot of MTB rides, that slows the K's down a little bit. Could call it quality rather than quantity.

Attachments

Last edited:

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
What qualifies as a worthwhile commute distance? The most I have to ride is 8km there and back to take my daughter to daycare (three times A week)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Just noticed something shit, second time occurring. I'm riding along and my bike computer (Garmin Edge 500) says I'm sitting still. Last time I knew it was about 500/1000m off the correct distance. Today, I rode about 25km and noted at the 17km mark that the computer had stopped at 5km. Pretty pissed that I missed the Ks that I put out today and some of my fast sections were on the money for a PB.

Now I'm wondering how many Ks I've lost altogether. Anyone else ever experienced this problem?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Weird, device told me I only did ~5km but when I upload it to Strava it can see the whole ride with proper times and all. A bit of a search shows some have also experienced this issue but no clear answer to what's going on.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Weird, device told me I only did ~5km but when I upload it to Strava it can see the whole ride with proper times and all. A bit of a search shows some have also experienced this issue but no clear answer to what's going on.
Suggest pairing it with a speed sensor.
Raced Wembo in Rotorua about a week ago and the laps were coming up 3k short due to tree cover except for those that were running stand alone sensors....just a suggestion

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Biggest week ever for me. 471.8km / 6503m climbing, 18hrs42min in the saddle.

Currently at 3185km and 29736m climbing for the year now. That's over 63 rides, and 118hours44mins

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Suggest pairing it with a speed sensor.
Raced Wembo in Rotorua about a week ago and the laps were coming up 3k short due to tree cover except for those that were running stand alone sensors....just a suggestion
Great suggestion, except that I've actually got both speed and cadence sensors, which makes it even more strange!

The best bit of info I've found is that the battery on the speed/cadence sensors might need replacing.