All mountain/ Enduro riding around Melbourne

D.HILL817

Likes Dirt
I am moving to Melbourne in the next few weeks for uni and would like to get some advice on places to ride. Preferably riding for a 160mm travel bike.

Only place I know of is You Yangs, raced DH there a few times, never rode a enduro bike there, any good? Any clubs in the Melbourne area do shuttle days or group rides?

Any guidance on places to ride would be awesome to know! Not really looking to travel more then two hours to ride (from bundoora area)

Thanks.

teK--

Eats Squid
You Yangs is good.

Also check out Red Hill there are heaps of unofficial DH trails on the private quarry land (the land owner reportedly doesn't care). Very natural, technical trails built by volunteers. There are a bazillion ways to link up different trails to get to the bottom.

160 bike perfect for both.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I live in Bundoora too, weee!

Surrounding options for riding within 2 hours away... Including XC and DH (all fine on a 160 bike I guess).

You Yangs (55 mins)
Lysterfield (55 mins)
Buxton (90 mins)
Warburton (85 mins)
Narbethong (80 mins)
KingLake (50 mins)
Red Hill (80 mins)
Plenty Gorge (15 mins)

That's all I can think of at the moment...
Shuttles run often at KingLake and once a month at You Yangs.

There's also Apollo Bay or Mt. Buller if you're up for a 2hr 45min drive.

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt

Surrounding options for riding within 2 hours away... Including XC and DH (all fine on a 160 bike I guess).

You Yangs (55 mins)
Lysterfield (55 mins)
Buxton (90 mins)
Warburton (85 mins)
Narbethong (80 mins)
KingLake (50 mins)
Red Hill (80 mins)
Plenty Gorge (15 mins)

As above, Yangs if you join the club shuttle days are 30 instead of 50 (40 for MTBA associates), Great club and friendly folk, its where i met all these gits :D

D.HILL817

Likes Dirt

You Yangs (55 mins)
Lysterfield (55 mins)
Buxton (90 mins)
Warburton (85 mins)
Narbethong (80 mins)
KingLake (50 mins)
Red Hill (80 mins)
Plenty Gorge (15 mins)

Ohh wow there a heap of places to go check out, thanks heaps!

Nautonier

Eats Squid

You Yangs (55 mins)
Lysterfield (55 mins)
Buxton (90 mins)
Warburton (85 mins)
Narbethong (80 mins)
KingLake (50 mins)
Red Hill (80 mins)
Plenty Gorge (15 mins)

Warburton isn't a great option as all but one of the trails has been closed due to [insert very long and boring story]. ................ is also an excellent option within an hour of Melbourne and there is also Lake Mountain, which is perhaps 1.5 hours. And Granton, which is out that way. There are also some trails out at .........., which might be your closest bet. ........... track is awesome fun on a trail bike and there is also a fun track with lots of drops on Inverness Rd.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

You Yangs (55 mins)
Lysterfield (55 mins)
Buxton (90 mins)
Warburton (85 mins)
Narbethong (80 mins)
KingLake (50 mins)
Red Hill (80 mins)
Plenty Gorge (15 mins)

You forgot Maldon....

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Warburton isn't a great option as all but one of the trails has been closed due to [insert very long and boring story].
Yeah I know, but that remaining trail is still worth doing loops of... I love it.
Was gonna go scope out the DH trails the other day, just do a walk up them and see if anyone's been riding them or if work has been done to repair it... but I got lazy.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
The C10 track is awesome fun on a trail bike and there is also a fun track with lots of drops on Inverness Rd.
Is that still an illegal track? that initially pissed the rangers of immensely and lead to pretty much a informal ban of any possibility of any formal MTB trails at all around Mt Dandy? Unless things have changed dramatically, a few people ruined it for everyone.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
A 160 isn't going to be much fun at wombat. My old 750 bars hit at both ends through some tree gaps!
Oh man I rode Wombat once on 760 bars and I was snaking through the tree gaps and lifting the front wheel and giving it a turn just to get through some spots.

At least all the tight trees are marked from being hit plenty of times by bar ends, haha! A nice warning.

D.HILL817

Likes Dirt

You Yangs (55 mins)
Lysterfield (55 mins)
Buxton (90 mins)
Warburton (85 mins)
Narbethong (80 mins)
KingLake (50 mins)
Red Hill (80 mins)
Plenty Gorge (15 mins)

Out of all these places you have listed, what would you say is the best for technical riding and steep? Don't mind a few rocks and roots on the trail and braking hard haha

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Out of all these places you have listed, what would you say is the best for technical riding and steep? Don't mind a few rocks and roots on the trail and braking hard haha
Youies has some decent technical steep trails, i cannot compare it to the others listed though as I have not been to the other trails yet.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Is that still an illegal track? that initially pissed the rangers of immensely and lead to pretty much a informal ban of any possibility of any formal MTB trails at all around Mt Dandy? Unless things have changed dramatically, a few people ruined it for everyone.
As far as I know heaps of people ride it regularly and I've seen trail maintenance done there recently. I think there was contention with the old bottom section, where kids were building jumps and getting offside with the local pony club...

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Yeah I know, but that remaining trail is still worth doing loops of... I love it.
Was gonna go scope out the DH trails the other day, just do a walk up them and see if anyone's been riding them or if work has been done to repair it... but I got lazy.
I had a look just before Christmas and it was all just depressingly overgrown, not ridden for months, neglected and basically dead. RIP awesome Warby trails :(

By the way, what are the politics of riding on walking tracks if there are no signs stating "no bikes"? There's a certain track that I've ridden and have seen on Strava that others have as well, but I made sure I rode it late in the day and on a weekday to avoid running into/annoying walkers.

I know that in NZ these days almost all walking tracks are shared with bikes, what's the policy in Australia? I know that for some tracks, like the Mt Macedon walking track, there is definite signage discouraging MTBs, but in a situation where there is no signage, is it a case of proceed with common sense?

Last edited: