What do you do for work ? Is it hit or shit.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The best advice I could give at this point is to work on an escape plan whenever you aren't happy, its the most therapeutic thing that you can ever do.

My theory is that you always want to leave a job with them wanting more, you don't want people to be saying
"thank goodness that miserable prick is gone, WTF did he do every day anyway?!?!?" Be valuable and leave with your head held high, on your terms.
Agreed and agreed. Though the 2nd is harder to do, esp if you've been in a sh1t spot for a while.

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
Would you know Mark Kemmis? He came down to Tassie to run a training program at CAT. Caught up with him just the other day as he is on holiday down in Tassie.
Yeah, Mark is a great guy. He was very smart too, he saw an opportunity and launched at it.:clap2:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, because privatising things has always worked sooooo well.... :eek:hwell:
From a Tradesman's point of view, big difference knowing you are going to get paid regardless when the job is complete to getting paid after the job is complete. It used to take the local council days to mow the foot path in my street, private contractors do it in less than one day.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'd have to agree. When I was doing Web stuff for govt we were all public servants except 1 guy. He had been a contractor for over 10 years and was raking in so much $$$ that we had became his only client. His service could easily have been provided in house at a moderate wage cost. The only loss would've been his excessive yes man gratifications.

Sounds like he was excellent at customers service!

We used to try and dirupt each other's phone calls to clients during audits - my favourite was a bird man impression with flapping wings and occasional squawk, pretty much guaranteed to result in uncontrollable speech and convulsions by the other poor b@stard on the phone.
It was excellent customer service, in a way...treating recalcitrant clients with the harshness good clients would expect.

I love the office games. I used to have a Nerf rocket.

From a Tradesman's point of view, big difference knowing you are going to get paid regardless when the job is complete to getting paid after the job is complete. It used to take the local council days to mow the foot path in my street, private contractors do it in less than one day.
A simple management issue...and you can bet that contractor bills your council hard.

Flow-Rider

Burner
A simple management issue...and you can bet that contractor bills your council hard.
Haha! Bean counters know they can't do it for the price or on the limit, a lot of the fools that take the contract on go belly up. Queensland rails is another, they actually increased the fare by a large margin to make it viable. Our dumb arse tunnels that were put out to tender.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Commuter rail doesn't make $, it needs to be an accepted expense by communities etc. Sadly as a whole Australians have swallowed the economic rationalist mindset hook line and sinker. Plus we are selfish narrow minded folk, look at the wider perception of cyclists by car owners. We don't pay rego, so shouldn't be on their roads...

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
After 11 years of being a chef, working mostly in upper tier restaurants, I have given up. The passion I once had has all but left and working day in day out, with high stress for many hrs a day has finally taken its toll on me.

I can see how people get comfortable and stick to a job even tho you feel like it isn't where you would like to be. This happened to me, but I enrolled in uni last year, and only working here and there in restaurants now has really given me a second wind. I like cooking again but I am also glad to be on the ass end of further working in hospitality. After dealing with, poor paying and working conditions I just hope my next career is a little more gentle on me.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
LOL! There is a good reason why they privatised a lot services in QLD. Might have something to do with wasting a lot of cash.
The problem should nto be framed public delivery vs private delivery. Private delivery of social services for example is ridiculously inefficient done privately. Anything that requires government oversight or control and is delivered privately runs at a premium and is inefficient by nature due to the fact that there is a government layer in between and the private operators are forced to operate to that tune.

Previously government delivered services and projects were spot on and within budget and well managed. This was when government had in house expertise, engineers working on civil projects, health professionals in health etc. Now the approach of governemnt is to have generalists with no skill in particular. Look at who is in charge of some of the biggest projects and then ask them would they ever be in charge if this was a private operation? Without expertise in government, projects will either fail, or the contractors will fleece you - it's that simple.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The problem should nto be framed public delivery vs private delivery. Private delivery of social services for example is ridiculously inefficient done privately. Anything that requires government oversight or control and is delivered privately runs at a premium and is inefficient by nature due to the fact that there is a government layer in between and the private operators are forced to operate to that tune.

Previously government delivered services and projects were spot on and within budget and well managed. This was when government had in house expertise, engineers working on civil projects, health professionals in health etc. Now the approach of governemnt is to have generalists with no skill in particular. Look at who is in charge of some of the biggest projects and then ask them would they ever be in charge if this was a private operation? Without expertise in government, projects will either fail, or the contractors will fleece you - it's that simple.
Thats about the extent of it.

Public transport does not and will not work when run for profit - at best you get is less service for the same dollars because there is legal skimming. I'd rather lose some money to a bit of beauracracy than pay for some corporate executive's holiday house.

But of course government departments tend to be a poor source of donations to political parties.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt

Sydney Ferries are supposedly better now than when run by the Gov, NSW Government has also found it a lot more economical to keep private bus companies going and helping keep their average fleet age at it's target rather than expanding the Gov network. A friend worked for what was the RTA and he would always give projects to private companies because they cost just over 50% the cost of the Council workers and jobs got done in around half the time. He quit after getting bored, frustrated and making a calendar of workers sleeping at various places whilst on the job.

I will admit there are Government agencies that are under staffed and those workers seem to have some serious drive, nurses, Centrelink staff and some teachers but they all seem to have their share of idiots like any workplace.

My brother got a job at the Board of Studies because he was the first person to show up not wearing a suit, he ended up being the bloke that put the HSC online in the early 2000's. Pretty sure he left out of frustration coz as soon as you'd get something right another department would change their site and it was dud link city like all the Gov websites.

Another thing that really shit me when I was a neck down tard was that the place I was at would hold off paying any private company until they absolutely had to pay. I felt like such a prick going to pick things up and often ended up talking to an angry small business owner chasing money because it made some moron in the Gov office look better as they kept the cash in their hands just that bit longer.

I must admit I'm not a massive fan of the Government selling off infrastructure but I like to see them tender(contract?) out work to private companies.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm on a train heading home from work. I'm covered in dirt, sweat, and paper bark scraps...and realised I hadn't made an entry in here about what I do to pay the bills. It's a tricky job to explain, but the simple version is that I run a youth centre. Most of that time is spent taking kids mountain biking for what is called adventure therapy (lame name I know. I didn't invent it) and repairing bikes. I also do art therapy, meal preparation, homework club, mediation, advocacy...etc.

Well I did until today. Funding for this sort of thing is a tricky thing, and my 8 year (most of that as a volunteer) run of luck has ran out. Our closing down party was fun. A trip to the pump track we built in a swamp (paper bark scraps are from tree parachuting), chicken burgers, and a big pink cake! With unicorns on it.

Now I am a barista again. A good one at least. Well I hope...

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
I'm on a train heading home from work. I'm covered in dirt, sweat, and paper bark scraps...and realised I hadn't made an entry in here about what I do to pay the bills. It's a tricky job to explain, but the simple version is that I run a youth centre. Most of that time is spent taking kids mountain biking for what is called adventure therapy (lame name I know. I didn't invent it) and repairing bikes. I also do art therapy, meal preparation, homework club, mediation, advocacy...etc.

Well I did until today. Funding for this sort of thing is a tricky thing, and my 8 year (most of that as a volunteer) run of luck has ran out. Our closing down party was fun. A trip to the pump track we built in a swamp (paper bark scraps are from tree parachuting), chicken burgers, and a big pink cake! With unicorns on it.

Now I am a barista again. A good one at least. Well I hope...
Hey Poodle.

I'm in the same line of work and understand the stresses of "Will we get funding next year or won't we?" Sounds like we run similar programs (mountain biking etc...) with similar philosophies. Our program almost died out a couple of years ago but we managed to form a collaboration between the state government and The Salvation Army. It's had its challenges (I'm not a church-going religious man) but we are still running.
Your post struck a chord with me because it's another example of governments saying one thing and doing another. It's easy to find government documents spruiking the need to support alternate programs / help disengaged youth / etc... but when it comes to providing funding for groups doing exactly that... they're all talk. Cheers mate. At least the last day sounded like a good one.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hey Poodle.

I'm in the same line of work and understand the stresses of "Will we get funding next year or won't we?" Sounds like we run similar programs (mountain biking etc...) with similar philosophies. Our program almost died out a couple of years ago but we managed to form a collaboration between the state government and The Salvation Army. It's had its challenges (I'm not a church-going religious man) but we are still running.
Your post struck a chord with me because it's another example of governments saying one thing and doing another. It's easy to find government documents spruiking the need to support alternate programs / help disengaged youth / etc... but when it comes to providing funding for groups doing exactly that... they're all talk. Cheers mate. At least the last day sounded like a good one.
Cheers Muz, and good luck holding it together. I've never had much luck with Government funding (except the many years I was a commonwealth employee and ran this program from work as a volunteer...shhhhh!). In this instance the funding was from another not for profit. We will return to our old set up and the world will continue. I'm not going to lie, there are a few teenagers and volunteers I'll be happy to see less of!

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm an electrician in a coal mine in the Hunter. I generally like my job, rotating shift work sucks arse but the remuneration for that is worth it. Variety of work is good and keeps me interested. Some of the people this industry attracts are downright fuckwits, but you get used to that..

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
Today is my last day at this call centre. I have eye of the tiger cued up and I will be strutting out of here at 4:15. It has been the worst job I have ever had. I have worked in clothing, marketing, international distribution and in high pressure kitchens. I have never experienced as much stress while performing the most simple task in my life. I have seen so much back stabbing I wear back protection where ever I go now. People limp around from carpet burn on their knees one day, promoted the next. People who have been here 3 months and go into a training role straight away. Its a joke.

I will be starting a role in a pretty big and reputable bike store. I am so excited to combine sales and bikes. I know there will be knob heads asking for stupid things but, I still get to play with bikes.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Today is my last day at this call centre. I have eye of the tiger cued up and I will be strutting out of here at 4:15. It has been the worst job I have ever had. I have worked in clothing, marketing, international distribution and in high pressure kitchens. I have never experienced as much stress while performing the most simple task in my life. I have seen so much back stabbing I wear back protection where ever I go now. People limp around from carpet burn on their knees one day, promoted the next. People who have been here 3 months and go into a training role straight away. Its a joke.

I will be starting a role in a pretty big and reputable bike store. I am so excited to combine sales and bikes. I know there will be knob heads asking for stupid things but, I still get to play with bikes.
:Banane16::Banane16::Banane16::Banane16::Banane16::Banane16:

That sounds like a fairly shit location. The future is bright! Leaving a stressful role feels so good.

stirk

Burner
Does this mountain bike come with pannier mounting points?

Flow-Rider

Burner

:Banane16::Banane16::Banane16::Banane16::Banane16::Banane16:

That sounds like a fairly shit location. The future is bright! Leaving a stressful role feels so good.
Sounds like 8 years of Déjà vu to me, all the people with knowledge end up leaving and the dick lickers remain fighting the few good people left to cover their existence in their job role. Best leave them jobs before you get a tarnished work reputation from all the shit slung around. You can sit down with bosses or owners all day long and talk about the problems till you are blue in the face but they always side with the cocksuckers, I now just give them some other excuse and move on. The rot normally starts at the top and works its way down. Good luck with the fresh start.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Sounds like 8 years of Déjà vu to me, all the people with knowledge end up leaving and the dick lickers remain fighting the few good people left to cover their existence in their job role. Best leave them jobs before you get a tarnished work reputation from all the shit slung around. You can sit down with bosses or owners all day long and talk about the problems till you are blue in the face but they always side with the cocksuckers, I now just give them some other excuse and move on. The rot normally starts at the top and works its way down. Good luck with the fresh start.
So true. The best revenge is quit, walk with 60% of the customers and compete. ASX listed Corporations have gotten fat, lazy and stupid in this country.

The people writing emails at 10pm and all weekend, these are the true workplace destroyers.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Today is my last day at this call centre. I have eye of the tiger cued up ...

...I will be starting a role in a pretty big and reputable bike store. I am so excited to combine sales and bikes. I know there will be knob heads asking for stupid things but, I still get to play with bikes.
All the best man, make sure that music is pumping. I'd also consider pranking a few people on the way out, zipties on phone cords, posties under mousies, balloons filled with water carefully squashed into desk drawers etc.