Home Brew

will2

Likes Dirt
Doh missed that when i put in my order for Centennial and Columbus.
I just bought Amarillo and moteuka. Lovely time to be alive.

I have orders from friends and family after we drank 100 tallies of some brews over my birthday weekend. Loving it. Time to invest in some capital I think.

Can someone please try the ashes ale on the coopers site. I want to know if it's worth my time. It's coming up to Anzac day and 100 years since great grandfather was in the trenches so wouldn't mind making something for everyone to enjoy and have it in the theme of it.

will2

Likes Dirt
Threw down a quick one late last night in the haze of a few Guinness pints.
Completely off the cuff so hopefully goes well.
I'm not sure if Amarillo and Galaxy go together but that's what happened. I wrote it all down so got back up.

Did the glad wrap and gasket lid, I really like it; you can see whats going on. Can see bubbling from the brew.
It's now sitting pretty in my bedroom in front of a fan in a cardboard case that I made to keep the light of it. I can longer depend on my adhesive thermometer either so just winging this one. It's so crudely wrong it isn't funny.

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
It's now sitting pretty in my bedroom in front of a fan in a cardboard case that I made to keep the light of it. I can longer depend on my adhesive thermometer either so just winging this one. It's so crudely wrong it isn't funny.[/QUOTE]

If you're worried about the brew getting too hot, wrap a very damp towel around it and the resulting evaporation will keep it cool. Budget yet effective.

will2

Likes Dirt
It's now sitting pretty in my bedroom in front of a fan in a cardboard case that I made to keep the light of it. I can longer depend on my adhesive thermometer either so just winging this one. It's so crudely wrong it isn't funny.
Yeah have done it. But I prefer the fan method. Doesnt get so stinky and because I am not using a lid (just glad wrap and big rubber band) it's probably not too hygenic. Probably not warranted this week either low 20's all week.

Last edited:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there some sort of engine that allows me to input what grains/hops/yeasts I have, and spits out variable recipes that conform with typical beer profiles?

I'm brewing this weekend for the first time in months, and I'm struggling to come up with inspiration.

indica

Serial flasher
Is there some sort of engine that allows me to input what grains/hops/yeasts I have, and spits out variable recipes that conform with typical beer profiles?

I'm brewing this weekend for the first time in months, and I'm struggling to come up with inspiration.
Any luck Matt?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any luck Matt?
Unfortunately not. It turned out to be a hectic Easter Saturday/Sunday anyway, so I'm actually thankful I didn't start anything. I'll just throw in some base grains next weekend and see what pops out. I've got the grain to spare!

indica

Serial flasher
I made a Belgian White IPA a few weeks ago, what a fucking cracker of a beer!
Half wheat, wheat yeast.... yum.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Post up the recipe? I've got a few kgs wheat I was going to experiment with re: head retention, but a belgian white IPA does sound interesting...

indica

Serial flasher
Alright, there it is.
Be aware the water additions are for my water so will not be relevant to you.
Omit the rye - assuming you don't have any.
Use a wheat yeast if you can.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: White Trash IPA II
Brewer: Grumpy
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 30.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.69 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.60 l
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 57.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
0.50 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
2.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 45.5 %
2.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 5 45.5 %
0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 9.1 %
20.00 g Chinook [12.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 27.5 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
40.00 g Brooklyn [17.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20 Hop 9 20.4 IBUs
40.00 g Hallertau Blanc [8.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpo Hop 10 9.9 IBUs
50.00 g Brooklyn [17.10 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.50 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 33.36 l of water at 68.1 C 64.4 C 90 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
yeast pitched 25/02
reused Belgian Wit

Bottled 7.3

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

will2

Likes Dirt
How was everyone's Easter?

To my point. I was wondering if some of the online stores are better than others. I'm looking to buy some bulk liquid malt extract, probably 15 Kg of Light and 15 Kg of Amber. That's from national Homebrew.
It's very good buying except the shipping is a bit killer. Do any of them offer free shipping for a certain amount spent?

indica

Serial flasher
It's very good buying except the shipping is a bit killer. Do any of them offer free shipping for a certain amount spent?
I would think not considering the weights involved.

The only way we manage in FNQ is bulk 40 x 25kg buys of grain.

will2

Likes Dirt
I would think not considering the weights involved.

The only way we manage in FNQ is bulk 40 x 25kg buys of grain.
G, that's a bit. Might just have to suck it up. Will do some calculations and see how it ends up. If not i'll get my drive on.