Home Brew

will2

Likes Dirt
Could you use Pilsen Light malt as a base malt in an ale? Or would it not work.
May have access to a lot for free.
Yeah, I could do a Pilsener but I don't really want one I'm enjoying the ales I am currently doing too much.

scblack

Leucocholic
How was everyone's Easter?

To my point. I was wondering if some of the online stores are better than others. I'm looking to buy some bulk liquid malt extract, probably 15 Kg of Light and 15 Kg of Amber. That's from national Homebrew.
It's very good buying except the shipping is a bit killer. Do any of them offer free shipping for a certain amount spent?
Have a look at www.liquorcraft.com.au as I just got a reminder email about free shipping until March 30th.

will2

Likes Dirt

Finally after a bit of Gumtree fuck arounds and driving around late at night, I have the fridge on the boil.
Very excited to try this beer when it's done. Lots of galaxy and moteuka, should turn out alright.
I am amazed how handy milk crates are in brewing. They are the new ziptie. I chopped that one down to make it flat with the compressor hump. Love it.

Anyway, watched a video on YouTube from craigtube where he talks about pitching your new brew straight into the fermenter with yeast cake, directly after bottling the last batch.
Will be trying next week so excited to see how that goes. Will save lots of time, And a little money.

What has everyone been up to?

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
I am amazed how handy milk crates are in brewing. They are the new ziptie. I chopped that one down to make it flat with the compressor hump. Love it.
Great idea, my brew fridge has a weighed down wire shelf at the bottom struggling with my fermenter - chopping a milk crate might be a great way to stabilize it. Cool!

Anyway, watched a video on YouTube from craigtube where he talks about pitching your new brew straight into the fermenter with yeast cake, directly after bottling the last batch.
Will be trying next week so excited to see how that goes. Will save lots of time, And a little money.
Hmmm, an interesting idea, please let us know how it goes. Yes, a small cost saving but some excellent time benefits.

And to confirm - does that mean NOT pitching with any yeast at all?

will2

Likes Dirt
Great idea, my brew fridge has a weighed down wire shelf at the bottom struggling with my fermenter - chopping a milk crate might be a great way to stabilize it. Cool!

Hmmm, an interesting idea, please let us know how it goes. Yes, a small cost saving but some excellent time benefits.

Re Milk Crate- If you need to chop it to correct height the strength is going to be compromised. So when you take the thick lip off the top keep it and zip tie it on again getting the right height and also adding strength back. Even with it being cut down the middle and height reduced it is super strong and the 25ish Kg of a brew doesn't worry it. I can get extra photos at another time.

Re Yeast savings-Yes, no extra yeast. simply retain yeast cake and pour your wort straight in. It has other benefits so I have read: Yeast health, fermentation kicks off with full pace very rapidly. Providing you are doing a similar beer I can't really see what could go wrong. Saves mucking around with rinsing yeast.
Will keep posted.

Last edited:

will2

Likes Dirt
Quick update on the wort-on-yeast cake experiment.
There is a lot of yeast cake now, probably 4cm from memory. That's after one day as well. Not really a big deal though, first taste I had I though it was infected because of the incredible of funk of all that yeast in my sample. I then binned a glass full until it was a little clearer and took another sample, a lot less funk so I don't think it has spoiled. Fingers crossed.

Anyway it's my first attempt at an IPA but I don't thin the IBU's got there. Put it into the IBU calculator with about 65 IBU's and yet it wasn't very bitter, upsetting. Should be a cracker regardless, was a bit of a brew to clear up the freezer, Ella, Amarillo and Cascade.

indica

Serial flasher
I am lazy.
First brew with a yeast I generally brew something light on the hops and low gravity.
Bottle the beer.
Save a few 1/3 full bottles of the shit at the bottom of the FV for the next brew.
Make brew, pitch slurry....

I used that shit lazy method and have had 10 brews from 1 pack of WYeast Biere De Gardw without loss of quality.

will2

Likes Dirt
I am lazy.
First brew with a yeast I generally brew something light on the hops and low gravity.
Bottle the beer.
Save a few 1/3 full bottles of the shit at the bottom of the FV for the next brew.

I used that shit lazy method and have had 10 brews from 1 pack of WYeast Biere De Gardw without loss of quality.
I attempted to do that last brew with US-05. End of the brew loaded up a very well cleaned longie of yeast cake. Sat uin a cool place for a few weeks.
I remembered about it and attempted to pitch, cracked the bottle open and it spewed its guts all through my kitchen, reaching the roof with serious oompf.
The beer I stole the yeast cake from had been sitting for a month as well so it had definitely finished.
Maybe I will have another go.
That's two brews worth of savings with yours.

scblack

Leucocholic
I am lazy.
Bottle the beer.

Hmm, I might give that a go.

How should they be stored?

will2

Likes Dirt
Sad day.

My first infection has occurred and it has really bummed me. Not going to let it beat me though. Hurts to throw 23 litres of beer out on the lawn but I suppose it's part of the process of learning to be a better brewer.

Anyway, scrubbed fermenter with a soft cloth with dish washing liquid. Then filled it entirely with a strong mix of napi-san soaked for over two hours. Then soaked and shook up with bleach solution. just before I brewed I threw a pot of boiling water in and then did the regular filling of Iodine sanitising solution. Hopefully that was enough to get it sorted.
I've decided to go back to basics for this brew in case there are still pathogens hidden in the plastic. Not too basic though coopers Pale Ale can with Ella hops and Pilsen malt.

If there is a higher being, please control your creatures on earth and only let US-05 populate my fermenter.

scblack

Leucocholic
A few years back I had a bad run. I had six brews in a row go sour. Yes - six. I was so so close to giving up.

A wild yeast had entered my gear somehow, and having to boil all my water solved it.