zee vs guide rsc

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
i have a yt tues 2.0 al and bomber 888 rc3 evo 2012, if that helps on the adapters.
Not really. I have read that some adapter shapes don't quite work with Hope caliper shape. I'd factor Hope adapters in to be safe.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Not really. I have read that some adapter shapes don't quite work with Hope caliper shape. I'd factor Hope adapters in to be safe.
Pffffft this is all you need. Serious now, you need hope adapters, they have more of a bend in the middle to clear the larger callipers

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
you got me tempted for the hope tech 3 brakes.

have the e4 enough stopping power for dh duties or should i opt for the v4?

i run 203mm front and rear of avid hs1 rotors. Will they fit the hope brakes and do i need new adaptors for the calipers? (the caliper i have is avid code)

final pricing findings:

hope tech e4 - no rotors -> 270€
2017 sram guide rsc - no rotors -> 260€
saints - no rotors -> 235€
zees with rotors RT86 - not finned pads - come at 240€

sometimes too many options is not good :biggrin1:
i have a yt tues 2.0 al and bomber 888 rc3 evo 2012, if that helps on the adapters.
The other guys might be right, but I just bolted my hopes straight onto the fork (Marz 66s) and used a shimano adapter for the rear. Running zee rotors...203mm front, 180mm rear. Everything seems to be working just fine.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
you got me tempted for the hope tech 3 brakes.

have the e4 enough stopping power for dh duties or should i opt for the v4?

i run 203mm front and rear of avid hs1 rotors. Will they fit the hope brakes and do i need new adaptors for the calipers? (the caliper i have is avid code)

final pricing findings:

hope tech e4 - no rotors -> 270€
2017 sram guide rsc - no rotors -> 260€
saints - no rotors -> 235€
zees with rotors RT86 - not finned pads - come at 240€

sometimes too many options is not good :biggrin1:
I run Hope E4 with a 203mm rotor on a Pike fork (160mm PM)and had issues with Shimano adapters not working out. The 4 pot calipers meant the standard Shimano adapter, which is flat, didnt have clearance.
The Hope adapter has a bend in it for clearance of the pistons. Hope Picture, Top left is the 160mm PM to 203mm adapter)

Not sure which adapter you have for your current set up, but the Shimano on WILL NOT WORK

Attachments

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
+1 I went from Codes to Saints and hated them. Less power and no modulation. I've been running RSCs for a couple of years now and performance has been flawless. I'd rate them as highly as Codes, but a bit more reliable (only 1 lever bleed in 2 years).

Lots of Hope love happening - has anyone who waxes lyrical about how good the Hopes are actually tried anything else (apart from Shimano)? Are Hopes better than RSCs?
I'm selling a set of mint guide rsc atm. The bike they were on now has hopes. Eventually all my bikes will have hopes. IMO they are a more consistent brake, and I prefer the feel.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Lots of Hope love happening - has anyone who waxes lyrical about how good the Hopes are actually tried anything else (apart from Shimano)? Are Hopes better than RSCs?
I've had/still have Shimano (various models), Magura, Formula and Hope. I have ridden numerous others with Avid and SRAM.
I actually like Guides (RS and RSC) and there is no denying that they are great brakes.
If something is "Better" than another, it's personal opinion and subjective, but IMO the best overall performer I've had/used are Hope.

Not once, in 3 years of ownership, have I had any issues with my E4's. I've bled them once because I felt guilty for not doing any maintenance on them. They still feel as crisp and as powerful as they did the day I put them on the bike.

The quality feel and build of Hope is second to none. When you see and feel them in the flesh, they are far superior in manufacture than anything else I've owned. No cheap plastics bits, no fiddly or wobbly little adjustment knobs, just solid machined parts and construction.

There is a reason many people wax lyrical about Hope brakes (and other Hope parts, but that's for another day). But not many people are willing to drop that sort of coin on a brake upgrade from their OEM spec'd Shimano/SRAM bike, and that makes for less pairs out there for people to actually see/use/play with.

I offer anyone who's thinking about a buying set to come a pedal of my bike and make up your own mind. :peace:

Twelve

Likes Dirt
This thread pushed me over the edge in ordering Hope E4s, $350 for the pair on Merlin with braided hoses. I had been thinking about it for a while and I'm looking for a change from XT M8000. From all of the love Hope gets constantly on every forum, I need to experience it for myself.

I do love saints although thought that's possibly a little overkill on what is a 125mm travel trail bike.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Bad news for me.
As I said I have front and rear 200 mm avid hs1 rotors and want to keep these in order to save some money.
According to this :

1.for the Marzocchi 888 rc3 fork no mount is needed, so all perfect

2.for the rear, I have this cps mount in my code caliper

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/avid-disc-60mm-is-adaptor-fits-200mm-rear-rotors

Unfortunately as I can see in the table, there is no hope mount for is to 200mm.

:noidea:
You 'might' get away with the mount you have, but it'll be a test fit I reckon. There might be enough of a recess for clearance.
One option is to buy a 203mm Hope IS mount and file 1.5mm off each post mount?

Or, ask really nicely in the Trading area if anyone can spare a 203mm (cheap or free) rotor for the rear?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
This thread pushed me over the edge in ordering Hope E4s, $350 for the pair on Merlin with braided hoses. I had been thinking about it for a while and I'm looking for a change from XT M8000. From all of the love Hope gets constantly on every forum, I need to experience it for myself.

I do love saints although thought that's possibly a little overkill on what is a 125mm travel trail bike.
Have fun trimming the braided lines.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
You 'might' get away with the mount you have, but it'll be a test fit I reckon. There might be enough of a recess for clearance.
One option is to buy a 203mm Hope IS mount and file 1.5mm off each post mount?

Or, ask really nicely in the Trading area if anyone can spare a 203mm (cheap or free) rotor for the rear?
When using SRAM and knock off adapters ( which are dirt cheap), I found if you really really really want to get the pad centred on the swept area, cut an adapter down and uses washers to tweak the caliper position. Measure the adapter and washer combinations height (with bolts torqued) and cut/file/mill an adapter to this height and bingo, perfect pad position on the rotor.

Had to do with with centrelines when first launched, no adapters for 200mm to be found.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
DSC_1348~2.jpg

This zee mount and rotor works just fine for me. In the image you can see evidence of the pads making contact a little outside the standard braking surface, it hasnt impacted performance. If I was really worried I could put a shim under each end of the caliper.

I tried to use the shimano xt version of the floating rotor and it is not compatible.

I didn't realise how dusty the bike was until I flash photographed it! Wow.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I was really worried I could put a shim under each end of the caliper.
You mean take a grinder / dremel to it and move the caliper down a bit, but having the pads sticking out the top is better than the bottom, as they will pulse as they grab on the arms of the rotor

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Found the answer to my question in pinkbike, avid rotor with E4 brake :

View attachment 332933

It will need lots of diy work...
The rotor is not and will not be the issue.
You can use nearly any rotor with any brake caliper (nearly!), once you have the correct adapter.

Chances are old mate has the wrong brake adapter or (what it actually looks like) has it fitted in the wrong orientation.

You will probably be ok with your own adapter, or in fact a Shimano IS to 203PM adapter, which is totally different to the Shimano PM to 203PM Adapter.

Attachments

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I've had/still have Shimano (various models), Magura, Formula and Hope. I have ridden numerous others with Avid and SRAM.
I actually like Guides (RS and RSC) and there is no denying that they are great brakes.
If something is "Better" than another, it's personal opinion and subjective, but IMO the best overall performer I've had/used are Hope.

Not once, in 3 years of ownership, have I had any issues with my E4's. I've bled them once because I felt guilty for not doing any maintenance on them. They still feel as crisp and as powerful as they did the day I put them on the bike.

The quality feel and build of Hope is second to none. When you see and feel them in the flesh, they are far superior in manufacture than anything else I've owned. No cheap plastics bits, no fiddly or wobbly little adjustment knobs, just solid machined parts and construction.

There is a reason many people wax lyrical about Hope brakes (and other Hope parts, but that's for another day). But not many people are willing to drop that sort of coin on a brake upgrade from their OEM spec'd Shimano/SRAM bike, and that makes for less pairs out there for people to actually see/use/play with.

I offer anyone who's thinking about a buying set to come a pedal of my bike and make up your own mind. :peace:
Thanks JT, it's reviews like this that can't be ignored. Hearing from someone who has tried and liked RSCs and still prefers Hopes makes me want to try them. Does the bite point adjustment work as well as the RSCs? Have you ever taken them on any real brake burner runs (super steep 500 - 1000m descents) to test fade? If I was in Sydney I'd take you up on your offer of a pedal.