zee vs guide rsc

freeriding

Likes Dirt
I want to buy a set of new brakes for dh use.
Zee's seem to be amazing from a lot of reviews i read.
I found, for just 90$ more, a pair of the new 2017 guide rsc with the S4 caliper.

What would you buy?
I am really tempted for the guides, but i am a bit concerned of the issues that read in multiple forums.

Cheers!

jarrod839

Banned
Ive had both the zee's and guide RSC and both are equal in power and both have there share of problems.
Me personally the guides have a better feel and more adjustability over the Zees. Sram ultimates can be picked up for 300 a end if your budget can stretch and to my knowledge don't have the issues as the guides do. Haven't heard much on the 2017 guides i would imagine that they would have fixed the issues.
Both will come with warranty but SRAM will be the one that honour their warranty.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I had Shimano warranty my brakes.

If I was looking at saint/ultimate money I'd just go straight for hope though.

Z

Zaf

Shimano's Warranty Department isn't quite as good as SRAM's, but then again that's because they've had significantly LESS practice at it.

freeriding

Likes Dirt
zees with rotors RT86 come at 250€ (the best price i found)
saints with rotors RT86 and finned pads come at 330€ (the best price i found)
guide rsc with s4 caliper (no rotors, cause i'll use the hs1 i have with my codes) come at 260€

now it is clearer moneywise.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
guide rsc with s4 caliper (no rotors, cause i'll use the hs1 i have with my codes) come at 260€

Hope E4 with Floating Rotors - $420 AUD...... SOLD

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
I've got both and the RSCs are a better brake. Cutting the BS and putting the anti Avid prejudice of people aside.

In saying that Zee are also good

teK--

Eats Squid
I have a set of Saint M820 for sale in a couple of weeks PM me if you want first dibs.

Very powerful brake and has been reliable I just want something different.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I want to buy a set of new brakes for dh use.
Zee's seem to be amazing from a lot of reviews i read.
I found, for just 90$ more, a pair of the new 2017 guide rsc with the S4 caliper.

What would you buy?
I am really tempted for the guides, but i am a bit concerned of the issues that read in multiple forums.

Cheers!

it's not definitive yet but seems the latest Guides will suffer the same fate.

Hope 3 V4 for DH http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/hope-tech-3-v4-disc-brake/rp-prod112987 $279 an end

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
I've had issues with brakes from both Sram and Shimano- and that seems to be the experience of most of the people I ride with, which tallies with what the LBS says. The LBS also tells me that Sram warranty support is probably a little more user friendly.
You can argue about feel for days- but its a personal thing. The Guide RSC's are one of the best brakes I've ridden. Hopes are THE best.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Hope E4 with Floating Rotors - $420 AUD...... SOLD
this 100%. Why WOULDN'T you buy hope for that money??? I've had mine for ~5.5 years and only needed to service the rear caliper and rear lever. It has had 2 sets of pads front and rear and still going as good as the day I got them.

D01

Likes Dirt
typical shimano Muppet
I ain't not no ones bitch. Just telling you how I see it.

I dealt with Shimano a few months ago about 3 different issues. They said no problems just send affected items with proof of purchase, both local and OS purchases. I had new parts a week later. Too easy.

I rang SRAM about 2 weeks ago about a broken Maxle, and they said I've got to take it back to place of purchase, or if that's not convenient my LBS and pay a service charge. Since I got the fork with a frame from an OS manufacturer it wasn't worth it for a part that will probably break again. FU SRAM, I bought a KCNC replacement.

jarrod839

Banned

CRC has a big sale on shimano at the moment and you can pick up saints with icetech rotors and adaptors for $300. Best ive found guide ultimates is $310 for just the brakes from mountainbikesdirect.com.au.
Hopes are a bargain at $280 but depending on your adapters and rotors you may need to buy hope gear. Most people get away with mixing gear but sometimes not.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had Zees for a couple of months and never got on with them so bought Hopes.

Just buy Hopes, the E4's were about 364 for the set, minus rotors, from Merlin.