All Mountain Tyres

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
One week old Continental X-King MTB Tyre - ProTection
Ouch, I have a near new set in the shed and they are fragile with the same knobbage issues.
My old Verticals lasted forever on the back and only lose a few knobs but also get skittery once they get a worn and blunt.

Trouble with tyres is that there are so damn many on the market and you just end up collecting them by accident.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Ive been running the latest gen NN front RR rear combo most of this year. Its a pretty good allround xc combo that ive been happy with across all the different trails in Vic, HOWEVER the Ralphs dont last long at all as you guys have just found.
The Evo Liteskins deff last a fair bit longer then the Snakeskin versions with IMO pretty similar grip so id say give them a go if your keen to stick with that tread pattern. (Note the sidewalls are as designed a lot thinner then the Snakeskin versions so not for places really hard on sidewalls).

Ive spent a little time recently on Thunder Burts 2.1's and ive been extremely impressed with them for what they are / and there sure isnt much of them! (Had my first flats for the year on these tho (1 front and 1 rear on different rides) deff crucial running adequate tyre pressures (im running tubes still).

Ive currently got NN's back on front (trailstar) and rear (pacestar) and all in all its not a bad allround setup - amasing in the wet conditions at this years B24 race. I dont think it gives much away on the RR in terms of rolling resistance but nothing comes close to the Burts they are insanly fast. If i had two sets of tires i think id have one set with Nic's and one set with Burts and call it a day - and go tubeless.

Travis.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
The Protection Conti thingy seems to to work well enough though, although I may be super, super lucky.
Contis have been fine for me as well. X-king rear and Mountain King front is a good all round combo. They do have flexy sidewalls though.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I don't mind a bit of sidewall flex. Free suspension for low frequency ruts.

Sent from my PDP-11 with typos and bad grammar courtesy of Tapatalk

dunndog

Eats Squid
It's disappointing for sure. They are a really nice tyre when brand new but the performance drops away quickly as they wear, the side knobs become so easy to fold over.
Isn't that a trait of all their tyres? From my experience, they're good when in peak condition, but wear out way too fast. I've gone back to maxxis and am glad I have.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Tried a Maxxis DHF WT 3C Maxx Grip up front yesterday and was thoroughly impressed. Finally Maxxis have made a 2.5 that's not a skinny little runt of a tyre. First tyre I've used on the front that's possibly better than a Magic Mary. Have just installed a Minion SS on the rear in a 2.3 and am impressed that's it also has a decent profile. Thinking of running the SS on the rear for tamer trails, but putting another DHF on the back for steep gnarly stuff. Fortunately I have a spare wheelset, which makes this easier!

At present I've got a Butcher Grid on the back and it's been excellent, although getting pretty chewed up after a couple of months...

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Isn't that a trait of all their tyres? From my experience, they're good when in peak condition, but wear out way too fast. I've gone back to maxxis and am glad I have.
It probably is, just far more noticeable on the rear and on a tyre like the Ralph which has fairly low knobs to begin with.

I'm thinking Schwalbe front Maxxis rear would be a good compromise. I've been noticing a fair few of the enduro guys running magic mary up front and some form of maxxis in the rear.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm thinking Schwalbe front Maxxis rear would be a good compromise. I've been noticing a fair few of the enduro guys running magic mary up front and some form of maxxis in the rear.
I've got a Hans Dampf up front and Ardent out the back. It is great so far but still nice and new.
Sure gives confidence but most new tyres do anyhow.

dano_mtb

Likes Dirt
It probably is, just far more noticeable on the rear and on a tyre like the Ralph which has fairly low knobs to begin with.

I'm currently using Magic Mary front with a Maxxis Aggressor on the rear on my Stans Flow MK3 wheels.

I find it a great all round combo that suits a varied range of terrain.

I tried a Hans Dampf on the rear but had to much rolling resistance.

SDA

Likes Dirt
What does everyone pair with a Rock Razor on the rear? I think a Magic Mary will be too much for the hardpack trails I ride. Maybe a Minion, E13 TRS or Onza Ibex?

Z

Zaf

What does everyone pair with a Rock Razor on the rear? I think a Magic Mary will be too much for the hardpack trails I ride. Maybe a Minion, E13 TRS or Onza Ibex?
Just get a Hans Dampf. Gotta match brands at least!!

SDA

Likes Dirt
Just get a Hans Dampf. Gotta match brands at least!!
Haha.. my inner OCD tells me that too! But not sure about the transitional knobs - how do they feel cornering hard? Do they lock in or feel drifty? Or maybe that's part of the fun?

P.s. Already running a similar tire (ie. rounded profile with transitional knobs) - the new bontrager se4 2.4". They don't let go, but they don't feel as locked in as a Minion either.

Last edited:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I dont think any of those tyres are particularly quick rolling. Personally I would be inclined to just step straight to the magic mary.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I dont think any of those tyres are particularly quick rolling. Personally I would be inclined to just step straight to the magic mary.
Magic Marys are an overkill here in Australia unless you use them for muddy conditions and as mentioned they roll like shit. If you push a bike to its limits on hardpack the knobs twist and you will loose traction on the front really easily. I found them to be advantageous on the totally loose trails and that's about it.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Magic Marys are an overkill here in Australia unless you use them for muddy conditions and as mentioned they roll like shit. If you push a bike to its limits on hardpack the knobs twist and you will loose traction on the front really easily. I found them to be advantageous on the totally loose trails and that's about it.
Hey Flow-Rider - what do you used for use for hardpack?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I think the answer to any "what proper tyre to use" under pretty much any circumstance is Minion DHF.

The rear is more dependant - if like me, you are used to moving up a hill at speed, a Minion SS is good. Or any one of a number of other Maxxis choices for additional traction (albeit at the expense of rolling resistance).

Vermont Felton knows what he's talking about:

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/pinkbikes-holiday-wish-list-2016.html

What out there beats a Minion DHF up front???

Last edited: