All Mountain Tyres

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
To be fair, I don't think its all that bad on the front. Feels like dragging a decent sized anchor when you stick one on the back though.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Would never put one the rear. Paired with a Minion SS or Aggressor is ideal IMO. But yeah, it's a gravity oriented tyre, so if you care about rolling resistance on XC rides then it's probably not the tyre for you.

Z

Zaf

High roller II up front is amazing! Do not mount on the rear though.

Hans Dampfs are a brilliant tyre, they just wear so quickly. But for the first 200km, great tyre!

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the answer to any "what proper tyre to use" under pretty much any circumstance is Minion DHF.

What out there beats a Minion DHF up front???
Not much. You could be pretty comfortable on it anywhere. Some other tyres excel in one location, but fail badly in others, but the DHF is consistent across alot of different terrain.

In saying that, currently have a nobby nic with all the special letters and find that pretty good...not as good though.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Not much. You could be pretty comfortable on it anywhere. Some other tyres excel in one location, but fail badly in others, but the DHF is consistent across alot of different terrain.

In saying that, currently have a nobby nic with all the special letters and find that pretty good...not as good though.
The NN does roll a fair bit better though, grip is decent if you get the 2.35 trailstar (but still not quite at DHF level).

dunndog

Eats Squid
Question for the Maxxis Aggressor fans - what's the rolling resistance like? On the little 4 dot guide on the packaging it puts it as a 2, where the dhr2 is a 3. I'd have thought the Aggressor would roll better than the dhr2 being less aggressive, am I wrong?

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Question for the Maxxis Aggressor fans - what's the rolling resistance like? On the little 4 dot guide on the packaging it puts it as a 2, where the dhr2 is a 3. I'd have thought the Aggressor would roll better than the dhr2 being less aggressive, am I wrong?
Can't speak for the DHR2, sorry, but I would put the Aggressor somewhere between a Minion DHF and an Ardent in the rolling stakes.

It rolls well, but for me it doesn't do other stuff well enough to win me over. Not great climbing traction, and only ok corner traction.

Overall I rate the Tomahawk higher, but it's climbing grip could be put down to it only being a soft compound jobbie. It rolls super fast and grips n corners like jizz on leg hair.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Can't speak for the DHR2, sorry, but I would put the Aggressor somewhere between a Minion DHF and an Ardent in the rolling stakes.

It rolls well, but for me it doesn't do other stuff well enough to win me over. Not great climbing traction, and only ok corner traction.

Overall I rate the Tomahawk higher, but it's climbing grip could be put down to it only being a soft compound jobbie. It rolls super fast and grips n corners like jizz on leg hair.
Thanks. Not a fan of the Ardent at all for anything more than very light trail use. The aggressor seems to get decent reviews so I'll give it a razz on the Epic at Buller tomorrow and see how it fares. If like you I'm not too impressed, I'll go back to a dhr2 and that will be my go to. They climb, roll and corner very well for an aggressive tyre, anything they lose over an Ardent in terms of rolling resistance they more than make up for in every other area.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks. Not a fan of the Ardent at all for anything more than very light trail use. The aggressor seems to get decent reviews so I'll give it a razz on the Epic at Buller tomorrow and see how it fares. If like you I'm not too impressed, I'll go back to a dhr2 and that will be my go to. They climb, roll and corner very well for an aggressive tyre, anything they lose over an Ardent in terms of rolling resistance they more than make up for in every other area.
Yep, not a big fan of the Ardent, especially on the rear.

Very keen to try the DHR2, but I should actually use a single tyre for a season for once...

dunndog

Eats Squid
Yep, not a big fan of the Ardent, especially on the rear.

Very keen to try the DHR2, but I should actually use a single tyre for a season for once...
ha yeah, I've been turning them over quicker than a coke whore lately, just trying to find one to fall in love with (also just like a coke whore). Pretty happy with the hr2/dhr2 combo, but will give the aggressor a go seeing as it's on now and only riding the epic on it. Should still give a good indication of what it does and doesn't do well.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt

Have run a DHR2 rear for a while now and DHF on the front. Love it but has an annoying wobble and has damage from a crash. Anyone run DHR2 on the front? Thinking running it front and back. Although as per others have a Hans and aggressor I need to wear out sitting in the bike room also.