Derby in Tassi

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I tried to ride Ginger Ridge back in April it was late afternoon and the rest of my riding crew weren't interested so I did it solo. I really liked the big raw drops and rock roll overs but struggled with the section of track that had obviously had a large logging bulldozer recently plow through it. In a desperate attempt to make it back to the trail head before dark I ended up hike-a-biking up the logged section to try and find the shuttle road. After what seemed like hours of this but was probably only fifteen minutes the bulldozed section turned to dense bush and I was lost, it was getting cold and I was running out of options. I phoned my friends to let them know of my predicament and luckily was able to find a previous GPS track of Juggernaut from earlier in the day on my Garmin, turns out I was literally only three meters off intersecting with Juggernaut and I still couldn't see it.

We went back to Tassie a few months ago and because of this and also it was raining on our Hollybank day I just stuck to Juggernaut but would love to have another crack at the Ginger, can anyone tell me if the trail has been repaired?

Last edited:

kiwijohn

Likes Dirt
Drops is totally awesome. Did you get to do Ginger Lady? That was my favourite - so steep and drifty...
I'm a local there, like 2 minutes away.
There's a new line next to Ginger lady that's a whole different story. Plus a couple more above lower loan line.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I tried to ride Ginger Ridge back in April it was late afternoon and the rest of my riding crew weren't interested so I did it solo. I really liked the big raw drops and rock roll overs but struggled with the section of track that had obviously had a large logging bulldozer recently plow through it. In a desperate attempt to make it back to the trail head before dark I ended up hike-a-biking up the logged section to try and find the shuttle road. After what seemed like hours of this but was probably only fifteen minutes the bulldozed section turned to dense bush and I was lost, it was getting cold and I was running out of options. I phoned my friends to let them know of my predicament and luckily was able to find a previous GPS track of Juggernaut from earlier in the day on my Garmin, turns out I was literally only three meters off intersecting with Juggernaut and I still couldn't see it.

We went back to Tassie a few months ago and because of this and also it was raining on our Hollybank day I just stuck to Juggernaut but would love to have another crack at the Ginger, can anyone tell me if the trail has been repaired?
I did ask the Launceston MTB club and they said that as far as they know Ginger Ridge is good to ride.

moorey

call me Mia
Loved the new bottom of Blue Tier...well, all of it as usual. Was meant to ride it today, weather looked shite (and it is), swapped it to yesterday and met more great peeps, including farkiner Hungrytiger. Never gets I'd.

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Good to meet you too Moorey. Was a great day. Love Derby and will definitely be back! Throwing the spitfire down atlas into dambusters at full chat will be one of the highlights of my riding year.

Not much I can add to the wisdom in this thread except that aldimobile works in derby (so I'm assuming all telstra network resellers do too), also if its late and you're tempted to take the Tasman "Highway" between Launceston and Scottsdale from the ferry, then just don't. Head north up through lilydale. Worst sealed road I have ever driven! (and thats saying something) :)

kiwijohn

Likes Dirt
But if you're in something nippy & don't get stuck behind a tourist, it's a blast of a drive. Look out for motorbikes giving it some as well.

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Sure you're right. I'll return when the kids have pissed off and I can spend their inheritance on that 911 I've always promised myself. :becky:

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
also if its late and you're tempted to take the Tasman "Highway" between Launceston and Scottsdale from the ferry, then just don't. Head north up through lilydale. Worst sealed road I have ever driven! (and thats saying something) :)
The sidlings is one of the top timed stages in Targa Tasmania. It's a blast driving/riding that section. You can turn off and go up Corkeys rd into the forest and have a ride there as well.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Myself and a mate just got back from 4 days/nights in Derby. We started with Hollybank on the way there and rode up and down Juggernaut. We both hated it in both directions. Unnecessary humps all over the place was the consensus and it felt like someone's first attempt at building a trail.

The Derby trails were great. We rode up each time and rode down Flickity Sticks, then Return to Sender on the first day, as well as all the stuff around the bottom. Then we did Atlas onto Krushka's and all the stuff around the bottom the next day. The final day of riding we rode up and did Black Stump - Shear Pin - 23 Stitches, which were my favourite tracks. On the afternoon of the last day we did Blue Tier - Big Chook - dinner at the Weldborough. I can see how locals or frequent visitors could really progress their fitness and riding skills in a short time on the trails there. All of the tracks were excellent.

We stayed in the Cedar House next to/behind Vertigo, building the walls for the bike storage that are still shown covered with plastic sheets in the airbnb photos. The interior is fitted out all differently too. Much nicer now. https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/15944255 https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/15945959 The World Trail team is staying in them from next week onwards so it is bike friendly accomodation if anyone is looking for a place to stay in Derby.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Just back from 3 weeks in Tasmania, no bike and the closest I got to Derby was Weldborough Pub. Which was no bad thing either. Cherries, blueberries, blackberries, cheese, salmon, sourdough, beer, cider, whiskey, gin, mountains, cool temperate rain forest, roads with no straight bits....the Tarkine....

...I'm going back.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm flying out to Launceston for 3 full days in Derby on Friday. Bike packed..... can't wait!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We need a Tassie thread, here's the North-South track, I did it with the boys, then did it myself after a beer fest at the Salamanca markets... It was an interesting descent. Watch in HD

[video=youtube_share;hXOMZ9-d0zM]https://youtu.be/hXOMZ9-d0zM[/video]

Last edited:

Stredda

Heading to Derby this weekend! Hopefully a new Blue Tier run and try to do the old school one as well then a few Black Stump shuttles.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Heading to Derby this weekend! Hopefully a new Blue Tier run and try to do the old school one as well then a few Black Stump shuttles.
I'll keep my eye out for ya! I'll be staying down at the Derby Campground, swing by for a sneaky beer.

Stredda

I'll keep my eye out for ya! I'll be staying down at the Derby Campground, swing by for a sneaky beer.
Sweet! I'll be in the camp ground or hanging with some friends at the Brothers Town Cottage (right next to the campground) with a burn your eyes orange Norco Sight.