To those who paid attention during maths...

Nautonier

Eats Squid
If I have a bike with a 65.6 degree head angle and wheelbase of 1184mm and I slacken the head angle to 65.0 degrees - what will the new wheelbase be?

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I have a bike with a 65.6 degree head angle and wheelbase of 1184mm and I slacken the head angle to 65.0 degrees - what will the new wheelbase be?
If you are installing an angleset, about 10mm.
If you're installing longer forks to achieve that, then add about 3mm per 20 of extra travel

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let us know when you measure it then.
The 10mm is close for the front end, just can't figure the effect offset bushings would have on the rear (if any)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Remove the rear shock pivot, drop the bike down the same amount the offset bushes would have and measure the wheelbase.

moorey

call me Mia
Point being, you're going to do it. And it's going to be pretty minimal. Why the need to know?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
He's one of those kids that just needs to know.
I am indeed. I'm trying desperately to convince myself that my bikes aren't too small for me. The reach is too short, but I'm hoping that the extended wheelbase will make up for that a little bit.

All this started when I rented a much longer bike in Finale Ligure recently and liked it. Really liked it. I felt like I was more 'in the bike' and it was more stable in just about every situation.

Seems like the trend in new Enduro bikes is to go much longer in the reach and steeper in the HA (~66) or a little bit longer in the reach and slacker (~65).

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Sagged or unweighted? Percentage sag? Permutations are endless.....

Flow-Rider

Burner
I am indeed. I'm trying desperately to convince myself that my bikes aren't too small for me. The reach is too short, but I'm hoping that the extended wheelbase will make up for that a little bit.

All this started when I rented a much longer bike in Finale Ligure recently and liked it. Really liked it. I felt like I was more 'in the bike' and it was more stable in just about every situation.

Seems like the trend in new Enduro bikes is to go much longer in the reach and steeper in the HA (~66) or a little bit longer in the reach and slacker (~65).
Did you end up riding the GT Sanction because it sounds like it, they're well suited to downhillers?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Sagged or unweighted? Percentage sag? Permutations are endless.....
Unweighted. Can't measure it because the bike is in bits at the moment. I would have thought that it's a simple (but beyond my maths skills) trigonometry calculation based on changing angle of one of the sides of a triangle and extending the base by x amount.

I agree that it seems likely it will be about 10mm, putting the wheelbase at ~1194mm.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Did you end up riding the GT Sanction because it sounds like it, they're well suited to downhillers?
I chose the GT because I wanted to see what a longer bike would feel like and wanted to stay with a 170mm fork. Turns out it was the perfect bike for Finale, which is very steep and technical. I was surprised that the 66 degree HA worked fine, would have thought it would be too steep.

The only thing the truly sucked on the GT was that due to the frame design, the seat post when dropped as far as it will go, is still too high for descending (well, compared to the optimum height I set on all my bikes). And it has only 100mm of drop, so the seat was way too low for climbing - had to raise it manually, which defeats the point of a dropper post...

moorey

call me Mia
They are a shit design for running a stealth particularly. Every second guy here rides a sanction, they all loath the routing down into the shock, and how you can't slam them without problems.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I chose the GT because I wanted to see what a longer bike would feel like and wanted to stay with a 170mm fork. Turns out it was the perfect bike for Finale, which is very steep and technical. I was surprised that the 66 degree HA worked fine, would have thought it would be too steep.

The only thing the truly sucked on the GT was that due to the frame design, the seat post when dropped as far as it will go, is still too high for descending (well, compared to the optimum height I set on all my bikes). And it has only 100mm of drop, so the seat was way too low for climbing - had to raise it manually, which defeats the point of a dropper post...
I'm short so the 100mm dropper wouldn't matter but even on the old GT force I have needs to drop that little more. The Sanction is one of those bikes where it's a combination of how it's designed. The rear ends seem to stick to the ground pretty well on them. If I was to buy one to race competitively, I would have looked at only the frame and build it to reduce the weight. It's a point and shoot sort of bike that loves the rough stuff.

They are a shit design for running a stealth particularly. Every second guy here rides a sanction, they all loath the routing down into the shock, and how you can't slam them without problems.
You wouldn't buy one if you're worried about looks. Cable routing has never been their strongest forte across most of their models. The cables can be a nightmare and most people find other ways to reroute them but they still seem to work without many problems.

You forgot to mention the squeaky pivots but there's way to reduce that also.

Last edited:

TonyMax

Caviar tastes on a popcorn budget
And it's going to be pretty minimal.
This. There's not enough information in your formula to be able to tell you, it depends how high off the ground your head tube is. The higher off the ground the more the increase in your wheelbase.

If your head tube is 3m off the ground (300 in the picture) the increase is roughly 4cm.

Untitled.jpg