That gay marriage thing........

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I’m just happy it’s not QLD Queensland leading the charge. We’re not the full bogans everyone thinks we are (I can say this for a week until One Nation has the balance of power).
Hehe I was pleasantly surprised by QLD and WA.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Warringah, represented by Tony Abbott - yes 75%
I saw that! Interesting/frustrating times ahead while the nay sayers gather their skirts and prolong the inevitible using whatever shit tactics they can muster. Even Katter's empire was close to a yes return.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
That is a really tough question. The heavy no seats in NSW are where there are a lot of Muslims who one may assume voted on their religious beliefs. By our setup he has to represent their views and vote against.

It's the other side of the coin from the Abbott situation. Clare can say "I have to do the will of the electorate" and vote against. Or he can say "I have to support democracy and the majority is for so I cannot vote against but I will not vote for, as per the will of the electorate".

Can you abstain from voting in Parliament?
Christensen has said he will abstain rather than vote against his electorate...

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
That is a really tough question. The heavy no seats in NSW are where there are a lot of Muslims who one may assume voted on their religious beliefs. By our setup he has to represent their views and vote against.

It's the other side of the coin from the Abbott situation. Clare can say "I have to do the will of the electorate" and vote against. Or he can say "I have to support democracy and the majority is for so I cannot vote against but I will not vote for, as per the will of the electorate".

Can you abstain from voting in Parliament?
If it's a conscience vote, as it should have been, you can abstain. Clare, like the rest can vote however the frick he wants. The plebiscite, as reiterated a bazillion times during the whole shit show, isn't binding. It comes down to how safe he feels his seat is, to whether he's confident enough to go against his electorate.

Abbott, is a whole other kettle of flyblown fish. As the driving factor behind, and poster boy for the plebiscite, he should be required to vote with both his electorate and the national result, or be sent an invoice for the cost of the whole thing.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If it's a conscience vote, as it should have been, you can abstain. Clare, like the rest can vote however the frick he wants. The plebiscite, as reiterated a bazillion times during the whole shit show, isn't binding. It comes down to how safe he feels his seat is, to whether he's confident enough to go against his electorate.

Abbott, is a whole other kettle of flyblown fish. As the driving factor behind, and poster boy for the plebiscite, he should be required to vote with both his electorate and the national result, or be sent an invoice for the cost of the whole thing.
It shouldn't be a conscience vote, they went to the electorate on this. If the MPs get to vote on their conscience (as opposed to the will of the electorate) what was the point in doing the postal survey in the first place?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I think the conservatives have argued so long they wont go without a fight.
Dick head Abbott the obstructionist will think of some obscure distraction.
About time Turncoat showed some backbone and lead like Prime Ministers should , rather than telling us what a strong leader he is.
We will get there eventually and then all talk will magically cease.

John U

MTB Precision
It shouldn't be a conscience vote, they went to the electorate on this. If the MPs get to vote on their conscience (as opposed to the will of the electorate) what was the point in doing the postal survey in the first place?
It wasn’t completely pointless as it delayed everything further which was its main aim. There will be further stalling tactics from the people now. These people don’t want equal rights for all Australians.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I think the conservatives have argued so long they wont go without a fight.
Dick head Abbott the obstructionist will think of some obscure distraction.
About time Turncoat showed some backbone and lead like Prime Ministers should , rather than telling us what a strong leader he is.
We will get there eventually and then all talk will magically cease.
The obscure distraction is religious rights (the rights of a cake baker to refuse to make a cake for a gay wedding, etc.), they will try and block any bill with that reasoning. However, I think that there will be enough people voting for the bill in both houses, based on the survey results, that it won't be blocked by the Abbottstrutionists.

I can see the Libs pushing Abbott out in the next preselection for his seat. He is so badly on the nose with the majority of his party and he only held his seat last election because the party saved him. I think that they'll ditch him now as they're heading for a bad loss anyway and that's something that might actually help, dumping the dead wood.

This SSM issue might also be the tool Turnbull needs to rid himself of some of the right-wing that are hamstringing him. The Abbotts, Abbetz' and Duttons of the Party who look to obstruct any vote on SSM can be pushed to the margin as anti-democtratic and working against the interests of the nation and thus the interests of the party.

Beej1

The obscure distraction is religious rights (the rights of a cake baker to refuse to make a cake for a gay wedding, etc.),..
And the safe schools distraction - don't forget safe schools!!! Because same-sex marriage being made legal will all of a sudden mean that a program already in existence (despite federal funding cuts) will suddenly be more in existence and schools will be teaching our kids how to be gay, or making more kids become gay, or ... some other incorrect bullshit the No team were sprouting.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Dutton is on record as saying that he is a no but if his electrorate (Dickson) votes yes then so will he.

I suspect Abbott really expected a no result to bolster his view while Turnbull pushedfor the opposite reason.

I hope you are right about kicking the monk out.

moorey

call me Mia
It wasn’t completely pointless as it delayed everything further which was its main aim. There will be further stalling tactics from the people now. These people don’t want equal rights for all Australians.
It's point was to be divisive, and give a (l)awful public voice and a international spotlight to homophobic cusswits. Job done.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I can see the Libs pushing Abbott out in the next preselection for his seat. He is so badly on the nose with the majority of his party and he only held his seat last election because the party saved him. I think that they'll ditch him now as they're heading for a bad loss anyway and that's something that might actually help, dumping the dead wood.
I'd like to say I agree, but I've seen stranger things happen in politics. I don't think the hard conservatives are done yet, even if he does go.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Far out! I hadn't expected the media to littered with so much sensationalised, exaggerated, repetitive, cliche ridden reporting on this. Page after page after page of it in the Sydney Morning Herald. It read like the bosses handed out a writing guide to all journalists with words and phrases that must be used.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
ABC and Guardian are all over it too (and the soccer, which is apparently very fashionable to follow now)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
ABC and Guardian are all over it too (and the soccer, which is apparently very fashionable to follow now)
With football season over and the cricket not yet happening Australians need a sport to fill the void. Odd that something we aren't particularly good at.