The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
And of course the other big one is reducing wastage and making sure nothing or at least very very very little is wasted, because currently we waste a lot of food that could otherwise, if we gave a shit, be shipped off to Africa, I'm sure they'd be A-ok with food that was a bit old.
You do realise a container ship takes between 30 to 90 days to travel from Australia to Africa, not including additional transport logistics at both ends... how often do you eat second hand food up to 90 days old?

SOURCE: http://www.australiatrade.com.au/Shipping/Destinations/Africa.htm

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I should have said not just about power and I was using the word waste in its broadest sense.
No, you are correct I completely agree that excess consumption and waste need to be drastically reduced I just can't comprehend how it could be remotely practical to send that waste to Africa as Skydome suggested... not even considering the amount of fuel burnt to achieve it. Kind of like the sentiment around electric cars... run from batteries of mined lithium with a finite lifespan... charged from outlets whose majority of power comes from coal.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ our desire to "help" often overrides common sense. When I was working in the save the world sector there was a few sizable disasters overseas (earthquakes and cyclones for example) and despite specifically asking for cash donations, which were tax deductible, we would be inundated with shit like "our hospital wants to give you guys a full hospital worth of linen...cool, how will we get that to Vanuatu? Could you just transfer us the cash please? My family can't live on good intentions Marge.

The other is not fucking and multiplying like the plague and not taking up too much land because currently we're just spreading out and taken over what used to be good farming bush and forest land.
Ummmm...you do realise that we aren't spreading out right? Australia is all about denser living just now. Major cities clogging up and more and more apartments. Add to this a governemrmt bonner for centralisation and regional life is on the way out. Or about to swing back in again as people flee unrealistic prices.

Farm land (at least here in the heartland of coal) is being lost to mines or other valuable industry.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
You do realise a container ship takes between 30 to 90 days to travel from Australia to Africa, not including additional transport logistics at both ends... how often do you eat second hand food up to 90 days old?

SOURCE: http://www.australiatrade.com.au/Shipping/Destinations/Africa.htm
there's this beautiful thing called air freight and a C-130 is a very versatile aircraft.
^ our desire to "help" often overrides common sense. When I was working in the save the world sector there was a few sizable disasters overseas (earthquakes and cyclones for example) and despite specifically asking for cash donations, which were tax deductible, we would be inundated with shit like "our hospital wants to give you guys a full hospital worth of linen...cool, how will we get that to Vanuatu? Could you just transfer us the cash please? My family can't live on good intentions Marge.

Ummmm...you do realise that we aren't spreading out right? Australia is all about denser living just now. Major cities clogging up and more and more apartments. Add to this a governemrmt bonner for centralisation and regional life is on the way out. Or about to swing back in again as people flee unrealistic prices.

Farm land (at least here in the heartland of coal) is being lost to mines or other valuable industry.
Actually we are spreading out and it is having some devastating impacts on the ecosystem.

I'm sure by now we all heard about the koalas in vic stripping the trees because too many were getting cut down for houses and etc leaving too many koalas fighting over a small amount of trees that couldn't sustain them long all thanks to us spreading out and yes, the urbanized areas has spread out ALOT more now than it was even in the 90s due to unsustainable living.

If we want to keep fucking like rabbits whilst having a city life people are gonna have to get over the fact they'll be getting rammed into housing like they do in Hong Kong, we can't keep spreading residential areas further and further out and if people want a comfy half acre block they'll have to stop fucking so much.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Flying by a herc would still take days (I’ve spent more hours in hercs that care to recall) and that would be a VERY expensive way to ferry small amounts of food.

Basically, 100% impractical. You’d need to find better logistical solution.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Could we just make a real big food pipe? Once it is up to pressure and constantly being pushed in at our end it will just keep pooping it out at the other end...

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
To be fair you did say "shipped" but without getting hung up on semantics maybe it would be better for the larger supermarket chains to scrutinise their wastage data and identify areas where they can reduce the amount of product they order, I agree with your sentiment but I believe that issues like this need to be addressed at the corporate level as the impact individuals can have is minimal in comparison.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
In the African nations you have to deal with corruption. A work colleague of mine worked on a project to get HIV medicines to Africa , tens of millions of dollars worth. The decision was made not to send money because money gets siphoned off too easily. As a result they direct shipped the medication instead from Australia.

2 weeks later, crates were in London instead of the destination. Onsold to some other govt, presumably heading to the west somewhere.

I don’t think you can underestimate the importance of general corruption when it comes to poverty

Freediver

I can go full Karen
In the African nations you have to deal with corruption. A work colleague of mine worked on a project to get HIV medicines to Africa , tens of millions of dollars worth. The decision was made not to send money because money gets siphoned off too easily. As a result they direct shipped the medication instead from Australia.

2 weeks later, crates were in London instead of the destination. Onsold to some other govt, presumably heading to the west somewhere.

I don’t think you can underestimate the importance of general corruption when it comes to poverty
Links please, not saying it didn't happen but would like more info.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Much of it is dead now. Emergency already declared.

Except by most of us who ignore the canary in the coal mine...

Trip to Bali anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Yep, one of the main reasons why a lot of drug companies won't donate medicine to under-developed nations as they know it will be hijacked and resold in the developed world (undercutting their own sales and profits). Yet then when the developed world says "We will donate stuff only if we get to distribute and implement" the accusations of paternalism and neo-colonialism start flying about.

*edit - colonialism for liberalism...

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yep, one of the main reasons why a lot of drug companies won't donate medicine to under-developed nations as they know it will be hijacked and resold in the developed world (undercutting their own sales and profits). Yet then when the developed world says "We will donate stuff only if we get to distribute and implement" the accusations of paternalism and neo-liberalism start flying about.
Reminds me of the Palestinian liberation front on the Life of Brian.

"What have the Romans ever done for us?"

"Built roads, schools and hospitals..."

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
My money says Barnaby won't see the day out.

Which is a real pity given that the world needs more moralising pricks who have no morals themselves.
The moralising is the bug bear for me not the affair. The math on her pregnancy is interesting....

Current information sees him holding position as there appears to be no strong candidates to replace him.