Number plate on bike rack

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Does anyone know if its ok to take the plate off your car and attach it to the rack when need be? I don't really feel like giving the QLD Govt $78 for an auxilary plate. It seems to be fine in other states but I can't find any info if it's ok here in QLD...

scblack

Leucocholic
The law says it has to be a bike plate - cannot fit car plate. Stupid but fact.

Personally I have gone onto rego website, snipped the sample with my plate numbers, blown up to size and laminated it. So it is EXACTLY a bike plate look. If I get booked for that - cop is a c*nt.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not allowed to remove the plates from your car.
It is stated on the qld main roads site here somewhere, I seen a reference posted up on another site not long ago.
Mr plod can actually book you for obscuring tail lights too but they don't seem to worry about it here yet.

John U

MTB Precision
Does anyone know if its ok to take the plate off your car and attach it to the rack when need be? I don't really feel like giving the QLD Govt $78 for an auxilary plate. It seems to be fine in other states but I can't find any info if it's ok here in QLD...
$78! Jesus fucking Christ! $15 for bike rack plate in vicco.

Auxiliary plate? Are you sure there’s not a bike rack plate option in Qld?

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
The law says it has to be a bike plate - cannot fit car plate. Stupid but fact.

Personally I have gone onto rego website, snipped the sample with my plate numbers, blown up to size and laminated it. So it is EXACTLY a bike plate look. If I get booked for that - cop is a c*nt.
Yep, I just took a photo of my number plate, printed it, laminated it and I use it for bike rack or trailer.

DMan

$78! Jesus fucking Christ! $15 for bike rack plate in vicco.

Auxiliary plate? Are you sure there’s not a bike rack plate option in Qld?
That IS the bike plate option...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It is also great if you share the bike rack across more than one car. More $$$ for more plates for more cars.
Imagine they had another plate lie found on a trailer that can be used on any car with a towbar. Why bother when a short sighted $$ grab is the thing to do. Eat a sour bag o' dicks way past their use by date RTA farquers.

DMan

I know!! Good old fucking QLD, the rip off state.

scblack

Leucocholic
Yep, I just took a photo of my number plate, printed it, laminated it and I use it for bike rack or trailer.
Cool, same thing. The only thing I would add - in NSW the plate for bike racks is an AUXILIARY plate, and is different fonts etc to a CAR plate. Maybe completely irrelevant info, but for me they are different plates. Who knows that potentially could cause an issue.

DMan

Ok, I have reported my dead one stolen, when do you want to pick it up?
We're not talking about a person are we?
Rang RTA. They said (I've changed the phrasing a little...) Double checked the price and yes it's $78.40. "But it's custom so you own it for life!!" She said like it's some amazing thing. Yay....
" But if I sell the car they're standard plates so they just go with the car no? So my "custom" plate would have to go with the car??"
" Errrrrr, yes"
" So would I have to buy a new set of plates for the car to sell it and keep the old plates and rack plate???"
"Errrrrr, yes that's right"
"So how much for a new set of plates?"
"Only $29"
"So my rack plate would actually cost me $109." "They should just make the custom plate $29 then would be in line with other states"
No real answer for that...

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, it is stuffed. I've ended up with three sets with customised plates, but you can't transfer them. You can hand them back in (but you don't get any $ back), you can keep them, or you can sell them - after you have personalised them, which costs about $400...

DMan

Yes, it is stuffed. I've ended up with three sets with customised plates, but you can't transfer them. You can hand them back in (but you don't get any $ back), you can keep them, or you can sell them - after you have personalised them, which costs about $400...
I just love it. Nothing like pure money making.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Interesting SA rules.

Can't display 2 'standard' plates on the rear, so add a bike specific one to the rack or take the one off the car. Home made not allowed.

plate.jpg