The stupid questions thread.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, great, thanks for the idea buddy. The bloody corners are sharp and ripped my bum, now.I can't ride for a week.
If I try that again I think I will take them out of the.package first
Tip for you crazy youngsters...take them out of the inner package as well.

Z

Zaf

In all seriousness, all of these NSAIDs and the oxy are terrible for gut health while exercising to such extremes. These can all lead to increased intestinal permeability, which is a rotten condition. Don't use while exercising. I've been there. I'm unsure if your duration of exposure would be enough......but you can do real damage.
Gonna get all medical and boring on this one. The concern with NSAIDS and gut lining is more to do with long term use with non-COX selective inhibitor based compounds (everything that's over the counter); the enzyme it inhibits production of to reduce inflammation also inhibits the replenishing of your gut lining so usually a max of 2 weeks continuous use and then cease (if you're needing pain management for longer than a week you should see a doctor anyway). They are also derivatives of an acetylsalicylic acid compound (this is why you factor in any aspirin you take to the maximum dose, as they're similar bases), which can potentially cause a stomach upset through irritation of the increased acidity; the "take with food" recommendation is to help offset this side effect.

The larger concern with NSAIDS and exercise is the increased renal strain, especially in hotter climates, you increase your risk of acute renal failure (bolded for a reason, note the acute). I did a year placement with the renal team and the dialysis clinics up here, I can assure you it's not something you want, or ANY chronic kidney disease for that matter.

safreek

Gonna get all medical and boring on this one. The concern with NSAIDS and gut lining is more to do with long term use with non-COX selective inhibitor based compounds (everything that's over the counter); the enzyme it inhibits production of to reduce inflammation also inhibits the replenishing of your gut lining so usually a max of 2 weeks continuous use and then cease (if you're needing pain management for longer than a week you should see a doctor anyway). They are also derivatives of an acetylsalicylic acid compound (this is why you factor in any aspirin you take to the maximum dose, as they're similar bases), which can potentially cause a stomach upset through irritation of the increased acidity; the "take with food" recommendation is to help offset this side effect.

The larger concern with NSAIDS and exercise is the increased renal strain, especially in hotter climates, you increase your risk of acute renal failure (bolded for a reason, note the acute). I did a year placement with the renal team and the dialysis clinics up here, I can assure you it's not something you want, or ANY chronic kidney disease for that matter.
Any truth that anti inflammatory drugs can hinder muscle building as well

Z

Zaf

@safreek Excuse some of the simplification of this reply; NSAIDS inhibit Cox-1 and/or Cox-2 enzyme production, which are catalysts to prostaglandin production. Protaglandins have a vasodilating effect (thier primary cause of inflammation) and some platelet involvement as well. This is essentially how NSAIDS work, they inhibit the production of enzymes that help transmit pain, as well as acting on the receptors themselves (both locally and centrally).
It's also why we don't recommend their use within 48hrs of trauma, as the increased bloodflow to the area is desirable for healing outcomes; so inhibiting this process in early stages can lead to longer recovery times. Stick to RICE and paracetamol if you can.

Theoretically, I guess this could hinder muscle production, but I've not read any articles or studies that have concluded that, and I'm not sure it would be in any measurably significant way.

Last edited by a moderator:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well they aren't a disease...

@safreek perhaps some dietary changes that include foods with anti-inflammatory properties. Best ask the hippies though as it could all just witch doctor bro science...chia seeds and fish from memory are perhaps helpful, bro.

Z

Zaf

Sick! I'm going to stop drinking water and get busy. Ant tips on how to not piss for a few days? I'm thinking silicon down/up the pee chute.
Just because Urologists get the best stories, and it makes me happy to think of how well that discharge summary will read, I'd love to say "sure, do that". But don't do that.

But if you do, take photos.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Just because Urologists get the best stories, and it makes me happy to think of how well that discharge summary will read, I'd love to say "sure, do that". But don't do that.

But if you do, take photos.
Don't, he'll take it as a dare...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My Sony action camera has a time lapse feature. I'll see if I can hook it up inside my pants and keep a steady record.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Can you run a 10sp SRAM cassette on a 11sp XD free hub? (Sorry put wrong thing). And can you run a shimano 10sp derailleur/shifter on a 10sp sram cassette? I know you can interchange cassettes and chains.

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

Can you run a 10sp SRAM cassette on a 11sp XD free hub?
No, the 10spd SRAM uses the Shimano splined freehub body as far as I'm aware. They produced the XD body specifically for the 11spd release and it didn't get retrofitted.