The cube was an awesome movie.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frame – Cube Stereo 140 HPC race, carbon front Ally rear, 150mm travel front, 140mm rear.
Rear shock – Fox Float DPS EVOL, 185x50mm Trunnion Mount
Front shock/fork – Fox 34 Rhythm, 2-Position Sweep-Adjust GRIP Damper
Handlebars - Race Face Ride 35, 760mm
Stem - Race Face Aeffect R 35
Headset – FSA orbit
Grips – AQUA ESI chunky’s
Saddle – Selle Royal MTB
Seatpost – CUBE Dropper Post 150mm
Brakes - Shimano Deore BR-M6000, Hydr. Disc Brake (203/180)
Cranks - Race Face Aeffect 32T, 175mm
Chainguide – Top guide Zitto ebay special
Chain – KMC X11
Pedals – Crank Bros Candy 3
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT RD-M8000-DSGS, ShadowPlus, 11-Speed
Front shifter – Going to get one and mod for dropper
Rear shifter - Shimano XT SL-M8000-I
Cassette - Shimano SLX CS-M7000, 11-46T
Wheels - Answer Atac EM DUROC 30 (sunringle)
Tyres – 2.5 DHF and 2.3 DHR2
Tubes – Yep
Total weight – 13kg

I was looking at this bike a while ago and decided against it. Then a month later got a call saying they would give me a further discount but I had 24 hours to accept. Got permission and so here it is. First impressions are that it looks really nice and well finished. It feels heavier than I thought it would but I’m not fussed by that.

Got it from 99 bikes who were really nice to deal with but it had a few issues off the bat:
· the brakes needed fluid (one nearly pulled to the bar)
· the dropper lever was facing vertical and on the wrong side of the brakes so you couldn’t operate it
· the cables are too long and the front brake had a spiral twist in it
· the rear axle was so tight I nearly needed a hammer to get it undone (am not exaggerating).
· clutched derailleur wasn’t turned on
· I thought they would have at least setup the suspension pressures for me but no dice.

I wanted to make some changes and get it set up right straight off the bat and so did the upgrades shown in bold above. The XT shifter has the double release mod done and I also added an Invisiframe kit. Not sure how I feel about the whole kit as it isn’t perfect, but like the idea of it protecting some specific areas. Am happy to have avoided the SRAM/reverb. First ride is Friday.

IMG_3176.JPG
IMG_3177.JPG
IMG_3179.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
That looks so clean. Super nice. Not sure what you paid but even that $3400 advertised price is damn good value.

Have fun!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Great buy! Looks to be a fantastic trailbike.

Please don’t take it back to 99 bikes for a service though, after putting the bike out in that condition they don’t deserve repeat business.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great buy! Looks to be a fantastic trailbike.

Please don’t take it back to 99 bikes for a service though, after putting the bike out in that condition they don’t deserve repeat business.
Yeh I got offered the free 6 week service and he said it's mainly to check cable stretching and "things like that". I think I can check my own cables.

safreek

Not bad at all, totally fucked that the shop couldn't even set up the basics properly.
They were thinking that you would spend some of that 400 to get it running properly.
Good luck in your riding

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update time!

I really prefer the feel of the old 10sp XT shifters on my old bike. They felt a lot smoother and more ergonomic to reach.
The rear freehub stopped working the other day (cranks spun both ways) and was fixed under warranty.
  • Changed rear tyre to 2.4 DHR2 which feels a lot better braking than the 2.3.
  • Fitted new bars 825mm wide and 38mm rise and back to original 50mm stem.
  • Modified XT shifter for the dropper post
  • Blue valve caps
Planning to upgrade to Super Deluxe shock and deore 4 piston calipers when I get some money.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update time!

Full Bike

The previous bars I upgraded to. Stem is now 40mm off a Honzo. The faceplate is the same as a normal raceface so I switched that over. I bought new plastic end caps for my bar ends as the previous ones got ripped out on a tree. Bike feels more like a big BMX which I love.

Crank Bros stamp pedals. I made another thread about changing to flats. Still loving them. Nice colour, wide, and not too thick.

Reisel Mudgaurd. It's a euro bike so i got a euro gaurd while getting other stuff from the germans.

Switched out the deore calipers to 4 piston deore calipers. They were about $120 for a pair and they do stop nice and as a cheap/fun/easy upgrade they are good (first time fronts nearly threw me over the bars) but I wouldn't say that deores/XT/SLX are really that much inferior.

Front tyre is now a Michelin Wild Enduro MAGIX 2.4. Will never go back to DHF I reckon. DHR2 still on rear though.

Asked for advice for flat shoes and bought some 510 freerider pros. They stick to nothing but pedals. I find it annoying that I can't twist my foot a little to get a better postion and have to lift my foot off. First time I used them I did the laces too tight and might feet went numb. They just have so much padding it's hard to tell if they are on properly. While I think they are good shoes I honestly dont think for the money that they would be heaps better than any other shoe out there.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also should have said I have been chasing a creak for a while and kept wanting to blame the press fit bottom bracket. Cleaned heaps of stuff then found out it was the derailleur hanger only in certain gears would rock a little. So stressful trying to figure it out.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Looking good @mas2. Couple of questions: how are you finding the fork and could you comment further on your experience with the Wild Enduro out front?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Asked for advice for flat shoes and bought some 510 freerider pros. They stick to nothing but pedals. I find it annoying that I can't twist my foot a little to get a better postion and have to lift my foot off. First time I used them I did the laces too tight and might feet went numb. They just have so much padding it's hard to tell if they are on properly. While I think they are good shoes I honestly dont think for the money that they would be heaps better than any other shoe out there.
You don't need to run the laces in the top holes if they hurt your feet and I usually buy pedals that you can adjust the pin height on and screw them in. I find the fivetens are way more stable and supportive than normal shoes.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking good @mas2. Couple of questions: how are you finding the fork and could you comment further on your experience with the Wild Enduro out front?
I havent ridden many different forks and my last ones were 34 Kashima Talas. The fork seems fantastic though. No issues, feels very comfy, and plows over everything. I cant imagine I would notice any difference with a fancier fork and it seems to get good reviews too. I am not sure how it would go with more than 150mm travel and reckon for anything over this I would want to try 36's.
For me the DHF would hit a certain angle when I tried to lean it and on looser stuff it would just slip out. The enduro has a lot more grip but rolling resistance suffers. Which is fine by me because i want something grippy to build my confidence.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You don't need to run the laces in the top holes if they hurt your feet and I usually buy pedals that you can adjust the pin height on and screw them in. I find the fivetens are way more stable and supportive than normal shoes.
Yep I would agree that they feel more stable and supportive. I guess with that though I tend to not be able to feel the position of my feet as well.