Falls Creek Shuttles (Blue Dirt) - trailer type

petertronica

Likes Dirt
Hey folks,

Just a quick question - I'm doing the Falls Creek enduro this weekend, and have signed up for a day of practice shuttles on the Saturday with Blue Dirt.
Does anyone know - does their bike trailer use crank holder style things for securing the bikes - so do I need to put some protection on my cranks? Or does it secure them by the wheels only, or something like that?

thanks in advance.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
They have a few different trailers, wheel mount + low crank + high crank types.

So yeah, get something to protect them, it's never a bad idea

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
They use 2 types of trailers. Crank holders and ones that strap the front wheels.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
At a guess - Most of the crank protecting rubber/silicon "boots" probably wont allow your crank arms to drop into the crank holders.

My XT M8000 cranks were a pretty snug fit when I was up there last year. They got a bit scratched up but nothing terminal.

Anyone have any experience with protectors that may be compatible?

petertronica

Likes Dirt
At a guess - Most of the crank protecting rubber/silicon "boots" probably wont allow your crank arms to drop into the crank holders.

My XT M8000 cranks were a pretty snug fit when I was up there last year. They got a bit scratched up but nothing terminal.

I have carbon X0's with the rubber boot protectors, so you reckon they won't fit?

petertronica

Likes Dirt
that older thread's helpful, thanks.

I have some leftover 3M helitape that I've used to frameskin my frame, reckon that'll be thick/tough enough? I used gaffer tape in the past for the apollo bay shuttles and that was cut through after a couple of runs, but the bikes get fully bounced around on that trailer.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
I have have race face alloy cranks + rubber protectors on the ends and Hope pedals. Worked fine all weekend at Ignition and at Buller etc.

I just wrap some electrical tape around the non drive side crank arm and it should be ok. Yeh it probably rubbed through a tiny bit after 2days of shuttles but i guess you could rewrap it a few times as required.

Travis.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Head to clark rubber and get some of their rubber sheeting cut up. Then use a releasable zip tie to held the rubber in place.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

slowmick

38-39"
Have used the blue dirt trailers with carbon cranks + boots on - they will fit.

Used the clear outdoor on the cranks with cloth gaffa tape wrapped over the top to hold it all together. makes getting the gaffa easier to get off.
the place to watch is the back of the crank about an inch below the spindle. Crank holders are straight and back of the sram cranks curve away from the front face meaning that the cranks will sit on this face. Load carefully. Keep an eye on your tape and reapply in that area as it wears through. enjoy the enduro.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My XX1 cranks with boots and a shit load of gorilla tape on LHS crank arm worked fine at Ignition.
Wish I could do the Enduro.
Bring your pedalling legs.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Have used the blue dirt trailers with carbon cranks + boots on - they will fit.
Yep, actually looked at my cranks when I got home last night and the marks were a lot higher up than I remembered. Cool to know they'll fit with little booties on though.

teK--

Eats Squid

I had m8000 with raceface boots and they fit just fine.. then again most of the time I got first dibs on the front wheel holder trailers.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Yep, actually looked at my cranks when I got home last night and the marks were a lot higher up than I remembered. Cool to know they'll fit with little booties on though.
I noticed they had some higher and some lower crank mount trailers. The higher ones sit with more or less all the weight on the crank, the lower ones don't jam in the same way.

Duct tape works for me so far, cheap and easy. Was going to try some heat shrink next and see if it lasts a bit better.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I use an inner road tube cut and slid onto the crank (then put the pedal back on). Then a couple of layers of gorilla tape, its never worn through, even at Apollo bay, which rattles the shit out of the bikes.

Also, fuck crank holder trailers, it is a shit low effort solution, that adds pointless damage to ones bike.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I noticed they had some higher and some lower crank mount trailers. The higher ones sit with more or less all the weight on the crank, the lower ones don't jam in the same way.

Duct tape works for me so far, cheap and easy. Was going to try some heat shrink next and see if it lasts a bit better.

Heat shrink for the win. I’ve M8000 cranks and picked up a length of 40mm (?) heatshrink. It worked a treat on the crankholders at Ignition. No scratches or gauges this time.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Unless carbon aren't cranks just built to get scuffed up? I've never cared about my cranks... that said I've probably never had nice ones.