Carbon cranks vs shuttle trailer

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi All,

This has been covered before I know but keen to know the 2017 consensus as carbon cranks have been around for a while now...

Got a predicament with my new DH bike.

On past bikes with alloy cranks I've just put a bit of tape/tube on and accepted the inevitable gouges 3/4 of the way up my LH crank that come from my grip rack or shuttle trailers at races.

Does anyone have any semi permanent ideas to combat this? I've tried inner tube and tape which both rub through after a couple of journeys.

Will frameskins(available online) be strong enough to hold for a while? I can modify my own bike rack to stop the gouging but need something on the bike for races.

Cheers

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Heat shrink sleeve

I went to the local electrical wholesale supplier and got some heat shrink. It was probably about 1.0 to 1.25mm thick and about 40mm OD. It has been excellent in protecting my carbon cranks on shuttles.
I don't know the brand, sorry

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I went to the local electrical wholesale supplier and got some heat shrink. It was probably about 1.0 to 1.25mm thick and about 40mm OD. It has been excellent in protecting my carbon cranks on shuttles.
I don't know the brand, sorry
This, but I did two wraps.

thabazz

Likes Bikes
Hey mate, yep +1 for the heat shrink. I've used the thicker type which has resin impregnated in it too. The brand I got from the wholesalers is "Raychem" its awesome, but not cheap. I would suggest pre- wrapping the cranks with electrical tape first so that the resin doesn't bond to the Cranks. I removed the Heatshrink after 3.5 yrs off my carbon X0 cranks and they were like new. I bought a length and chopped it up and spread the love with all my riding buddies, everyone is stoked on it.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep went to the store today and grabbed some. seems pretty burly and $15 by the meter means its cheap to replace or double up on. Cheers for the replies

Ackland

chats d'élevage
You can also carry a sock and chuck it over the whole pedal/crank.

Mate who runs shuttles carries them for clients

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Wrapping is a must!

Hey mate, yep +1 for the heat shrink. I've used the thicker type which has resin impregnated in it too. The brand I got from the wholesalers is "Raychem" its awesome, but not cheap. I would suggest pre- wrapping the cranks with electrical tape first so that the resin doesn't bond to the Cranks. I removed the Heatshrink after 3.5 yrs off my carbon X0 cranks and they were like new. I bought a length and chopped it up and spread the love with all my riding buddies, everyone is stoked on it.
Yep, used that the first time I did it and boy, was it a prick to get off because of that adhesive!
I've just used the normal heat shrink the last couple of times and it's done the job well