Whisky!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
A bit before Christmas I picked up a bottle of Bunnahabhain, which has hitherto flown under this thread's radar. It's really bloody yummy! It's an Islay, so is characteristically big & bold, but quite uncharacteristically light on the smoke.

Slightly darker and thicker than most, it packs a a rich sweetness and spiciness of preserved fruit. It's like Christmas Pudding in a bottle. Delicious! A good one to try if you like the big flavours, but the smokiness of most islanders puts you off.

indica

Serial flasher
What shall I buy duty free on the way to Singapore? Complete noob with no idea. I drink beer, lots of it. I like good beers. Have a smoked lager and baltic porter on tap at the moment. Flying out of Cairns. Can I buy in Changi airport on the way in?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Flying out of Cairns. Can I buy in Changi airport on the way in?
Compare the prices. Sydney airport whisky prices are pretty sharp and there isn't a whole lot in it, but NFI about Cairns. The added bonus being that you can buy before you leave and pick it up when you return home. No lugging whisky around. It might work the same for you.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What shall I buy duty free on the way to Singapore? Complete noob with no idea. I drink beer, lots of it. I like good beers. Have a smoked lager and baltic porter on tap at the moment. Flying out of Cairns. Can I buy in Changi airport on the way in?
Singapore, Hong Kong and Taipei tend to have a bigger selection and better prices then Sydney duty free. In Taipei the selection and prices from certain bottleshops are better again. Drinks near Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT for example.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I don't think I've ever purchased whisky at the airport. Often (not always) the range is unimpressive and the prices not tempting. There is some good online retailers here that usually have good sales and my overseas destinations seem to retail much cheaper.

indica

Serial flasher
Price is not a major issue for me.
I want to try a whisky not knowing anything about them.
  1. Can I buy on the way into Singapore and drink it there?
  2. What should I buy??

stirk

Burner
Said by a person turning to the distillery because you know you won't be able to find any beer anywhere better than your own home brew, and you can't take a keg as carry on!!

I struggle to find better beer than my own in shops ;)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
  2. What should I buy??
1) I don't see why not...

2) this answer requires more probing of you to narrow down from the wide variety available. 2 common starters are:
  • Sweet or dry drinks?
  • Do you know about peat?
Add to that:
  • Do you want to have a good hard wank or just drink it?
  • What have you tried before? What was good/bad about them?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
  2. What should I buy??
Good one, wait till you see some of the rarer blends and your wallet will be lighter, don't worry about that one, it can be another pricey hobby :)

1. That should be fine. Sinking a bottle of uber whisky on a flight would be courageous.
  2. My safe bets for Islay Single Malts which are smoky and peaty (not the Steve Peat variety) are Ardbeg 10 Year (just the standard one) and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

Oddjob

Good one, wait till you see some of the rarer blends and your wallet will be lighter, don't worry about that one, it can be another pricey hobby :)

1. That should be fine. Sinking a bottle of uber whisky on a flight would be courageous.
  2. My safe bets for Islay Single Malts which are smoky and peaty (not the Steve Peat variety) are Ardbeg 10 Year (just the standard one) and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.
Oh god not Ardberg. It's very much an acquired taste.

Lagavulin, Glenlivet 18 or Royal Salute 21 in order of price.

Or something Japanese. It's hard to get anything bad.

indica

Serial flasher
2) this answer requires more probing of you to narrow down from the wide variety available. 2 common starters are:
  • Sweet or dry drinks?
  • Do you know about peat?
Add to that:
  • Do you want to have a good hard wank or just drink it?
  • What have you tried before? What was good/bad about them?
Dry
Steve?
Drink.
Nothing.

Oddjob

Same price as dan murphy's, wtf?
I've seen it for $90 at Dan Murphys. Wait for Singapore. They will have much better range and prices. If you can be arsed hunting down a duty free store away from the airport the pricing is usually sharper.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Oh god not Ardberg. It's very much an acquired taste.

Lagavulin, Glenlivet 18 or Royal Salute 21 in order of price.

Or something Japanese. It's hard to get anything bad.

Ardbeg does it for me. I have Lagavulin here too but the taste is a bit stronger, a little bit like Kavalan too.

It is all a personal preference thing. I find I enjoy the lighter tasting ones more. Talisker 10 year over Talisker Storm.

I have an unopened bottle of Royal Salute 21 that has another 21 years added to it by now. Not that it will make it better and I'm not planning on dying before it is cracked open either.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Oddjob

I like Ardberg too, but the peatiness means I usually save it for the end of the night when my palates blown out.

Why on earth are you waiting to crack the Royal Salute!? If you want to make it interesting get a modern bottle and compare. Whiskey distilling has changed a lot since the 70s.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dry
Steve?
Drink.
Nothing.
Ok, firstly don't get anything from Islay. That is the predominant supplier of "peaty" whisky, the smoked up style that many a whisky drinker believes is the only whisky. While there is some enjoyable options from there it is the kind of thing that can ruin your idea of whisky in seconds. I recommend starting off with something that has a cleaner flavour. That lagauvalin will give yiu the feeling of having dank bong water and licked out an ashtray. But it is a lovely drop in moderation.

Your local distillery has a bit of a following. Have you hough about having a taste of the big black cock? I'd say it is a bit of a harsh edged whiskey but my favourite Australian option.

Based off the price of the lagauvalin I'd recommend something like this:
It's an easy drink and has plenty of complex whisky flavours floating around in it and is a smooth clean whisky. Had an industry night recently involving a large proportion of the Glenfarclas range up to the 25 year old (sadly not their absolute top of the line gear), and the 15 year was the crowd favourite. If you wanted to try something with a bit more punch the 105 cask strength is not too bad. But it will probably give you a bit of a burn.

There are some interesting options from auchentoshan and singleton's as well. Singleton's often have a bit of a spicy leather theme happening.

Someone mentioned Kavalan and Japanese whiskey up a bit further, there's some good stuff on offer there. I do find Asian whisky to be a tiny bit sweeter than scotch, often caramel and butterscotch kind of flavours. Though they are never sweet like bourbon or other American offerings. Kavalan is one of my favourites, I can't think of a time is taken a chance on their brand and been let down. From Japan a great go to is the Suntory Hakushu. If you can find one with an age statement on the label grab it! I find it difficult to spring so much cash for Japanese whisky though because the price is massively inflated outside of Japan. I've seen stuff here for around $150 that I've purchased there for about $12.

And if money is truely not the issue:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ardbeg does it for me. I have Lagavulin here too but the taste is a bit stronger, a little bit like Kavalan too.

It is all a personal preference thing. I find I enjoy the lighter tasting ones more. Talisker 10 year over Talisker Storm.

I have an unopened bottle of Royal Salute 21 that has another 21 years added to it by now. Not that it will make it better and I'm not planning on dying before it is cracked open either.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Once it's in the bottle it doesn't change that much more...I've got 2 suntory royal blends here from the 80/90s in the collectible Chinese lunar year bottles and original boxes. One day I'll crack them. Or not!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I like Ardberg too, but the peatiness means I usually save it for the end of the night when my palates blown out.

Why on earth are you waiting to crack the Royal Salute!? If you want to make it interesting get a modern bottle and compare. Whiskey distilling has changed a lot since the 70s.
All are good, just different. Kind of like MTB's too. Having your own whisky preferences is also like MTB's too.
Therefore Whisky is a MTB.

The Royal Salute was a gift from the dearly departed Uncle Grumpy. I promised him to only crack it open in his presence. Seems like an honourable thing to do. I have plenty of other backup whiskys that will give be liver damage 10x over if I hit them hard enough.