The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
What im really enjoying is the dummy spits of the left here - much the same as when Trump won.
It seems as though that Climate change is the MAJOR issue, the left tells us.
Its great people have seen through this scam - im sick and tired of been lectured, abused, given strange looks when i tell people I think CC is a crock of shit.
I dont care about feelings, just facts - we were told years ago it wouldnt rain alot, no more snow, dams wouldnt fill, etc...Guess what guys, none of this eventuated!
Even our chief scientist stated that if we had ZERO carbon emmisions, it would only increase our temp by less that 1 degree.
Labor / Greens told us this was a CC election, and guess what - the public voted NO to the scam.
Suck it up!
Forgetting that the predictions scientists have made are for well into the future, not Wednesday Arvo, what is the issue with reducing pollution?

I'm not entirely sold on the doom and gloom outlook either, but there's shit all harm to be done by trying harder to keep the planet from smelling like industrial arse. Ever smelt a truck exhaust? Or a coal power plant? Throw some money at cleaner energy research and phase out coal mining FFS. It'll work out in everyone's favor in the long run, even the wealthy right will have plenty of opportunity to grab a pile of cash from it.

Did no-one watch Captain planet?!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
What im really enjoying is the dummy spits of the left here - much the same as when Trump won.
Its great people have seen through this scam - im sick and tired of been lectured, abused, given strange looks when i tell people I think CC is a crock of shit.
I dont care about feelings, just facts - we were told years ago it wouldnt rain alot, no more snow, dams wouldnt fill, etc...Guess what guys, none of this eventuated!
Even our chief scientist stated that if we had ZERO carbon emmisions, it would only increase our temp by less that 1 degree.
Labor / Greens told us this was a CC election, and guess what - the public voted NO to the scam.
Suck it up!
What do they achieve by scamming us?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Well your definitely not voting to help them are you.

How do we fix CC while keeping right wingers happy?

What will it take to get conservatives on board?

I don’t give a fuck about the us vs. them, I just want my future kiddies to have a nice planet to live in. Help me understand so I can convey my beliefs to the conservatives I’m surrounded by so they start to care about it too. Help me help them, thus helping me and any future little me’s.
I think CC needs a rebranding - the “conservatives” (and/or those that simply don’t make the effort to understand the science/truth/physics etc.) hear “lefty bullshit” whenever they hear it because of the way it’s been brutalised in the MSM. The term climate change is describing an outcome, often with doomsday connotations which makes it sound more like a scary bedtime story than something that might actually be happening. It would be far better to focus on the causes and present them in a context people can relate with; a no cause, no effect mantra. Carrot vs stick.

When Labor says “real action on climate change”, how does the average farmer/shooter/fisher/miner/truck driver/tradie etc. translate that to something of relevance they might be able to do in their ordinary lives that will make a shred of difference? That phrase has now been relegated as one of a bunch of toxic cliches from a failed political campaign - can't see it invoking the right emotive response for a while to come.

If CO2 is the harbinger of doom, then unchecked capitalism and overpopulation are the demon hounds upon which it rides. The political message that comes through thanks to Kyoto / Paris et al is that tackling climate change through emissions reductions alone will magically save the planet. It's a flawed proposition if we don't also address sustainability. Mainstream society is already conditioned to embrace small positive steps like recycling, environmentally friendly packaging, energy efficient lighting, solar panels and electric cars. If the necessarily ambitious CC targets were rephrased as a series of incremental changes disguised as a sustainability push with a positive halo, I reckon the mainstream would find it a lot easier on the palate. Small steps as @Calvin27 suggests.

We also need a comet or plague to wipe out 30% of the world's population. Climate change as a product of global warming caused by humans doesn't worry me as much as outright consumption of natural resources and destruction of our environment. Climate change means the end of our indulgent way of life, but the planet will be ok, and probably a lot greener with fewer people. Heck, we might even see @moorey become a capitalist when he sees the uptick in the value of his Buninyong beachfront property. If however, there are so many of us that we eat every plant and animal in sight and pollute the shit out of our land and oceans, it doesn't end as well for us or the planet.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
No, we really don't. Much of that is related to our moral obligations at the very very least. But I can assure you time is up and has been for a while.

Any further delays do not possess any available justifications that are either rational or ethically defendable.
Look I totally agree. But I really don't see a way out of this in the short/medium term. Our economy is in the stink and so long as that is the case CC will always get second pick. We are not suddenly going to have a breakthrough with a flash government that somehow delivers CC outcomes - even if the Green somehow outright won government they'd have no clue how to do it. We gotta play the long game and a huge part of that is addressing three core things imo:
  1. Population growth to slow significantly (I'm hoping this has a net effect of lifting wages)
  2. Reduce economic dependency on energy exports
  3. Fix flapping transport sector (no not build more roads)
All have not been addressed in any way shape or form in the past 2 decades. All three will reduce the CC bottom line more than 10 years of debating CC science and protesting adani.

ben.north13

Likes Bikes
Just overheard in pho joint.
A young Asian Australian girl, probably just voted for her first time.
" I don't know why anybody would vote labor, it makes no difference to us who wins but Liberals are better for business which is better for everyone"
Her friend agreed.
We are doomed if she is representative of our youth
I'm 17 and i'm afraid that the majority of my peers don't know shit about politics, or believe every ad they see. I'm from the country though and I think (hope) that most kids in the city have their head screwed on. (especially in terms of climate change)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
It was at this point in our story, that Nambra thought "What if AIDS is a cure, and not a disease?"

Go on, don't wimp and forget to suggest a solid war so you at least have a bit of control over who has to go!! It's like you made the hardest jump and then decided to try and be PC about it at the finish line. We're not going to get anywhere if we leave it up to chance!! We need action, not a roll of the dice an hope!

Hello again ASIO officer, welcome to the thread.
Wars never decide who goes. We are overdue for a big one though and when looked at long term big picture yes it wouldn’t be a terrible thing. Problem is these days a big war will involve toys that will do more damage than some population control is worth...

We need a good plague.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Suck it up!
When you take your car to a mechanic, do you trust their work? What about the financial advise from your accountant? Do you follow the program set out by your personal trainer or dietician? I know that I wouldn't ask my plumber to give me a penis enlargement.

Climate change isn't a left or right issue, it is an uncomfortable truth for all of us. It is just the left dominate discussion, acceptance and solutions on Australia. The information confirming this comes from scientists...hundreds and hundreds of scientists. People who are experts in this field of study.

Also in case you hadn't noticed a lot of Australia is currently experiencing a doubt or very close to it. Water restrictions are being talked about because there is not enough stock in dams. There has been massive long lasting droughts throughout this century thus far. In parts of Siberia permafrost is melting and people are being exposed to diseases that have been long forgotten, but kept frozen until now.

and eating rice and tuna to save for it.
Fucking hell!!! You truely are a monster. Rice is one of Australia's most destructive (and foolish) farming endeavours. Tuna fisheries are among the most unsustainable fishing practises known to man. It's just one heart break after another...I'll bet you like veal?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
It was at this point in our story, that @Haakon thought...
I have actually... Something that sterilises 90% of men globally would be good. Just for one generation.

It’s a big bandaid to pull off economically and socially, but surely no one can suggest growth can be infinite. Gotta stop somewhere and the later you leave it the harder it will be.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...oward-era-finds-imf-study-20130110-2cj38.html

The Howard government was higher taxing than most, and more wasteful. The LNP being good economic managers is a myth. The myth is generally spruiked by the LNP and spread, unchallenged, by the main stream media. The MSM also seem to avoid reporting the ALP pointing the myth out.

On top of the mining boom Howard also sold off some of the major assets we all owned.

Howard's appearance was when I switched off last night.
And Why is the myth of "LNP are good economic managers" unchallenged???

Because most of the Media is owned by Rupert Murdoch and his glove puppet mouth pieces.

moorey

call me Mia
My mate on Facebook is ranting, wondering when every LNP voter will realize they voted against CC action, funding of public education, re-instating penalty rates, increasing childcare funding, cutting welfare to the rich, refugee and asylum seeker rights...

I pointed out that for many, it’s not the bug, it’s the feature..

He’s gobsmacked :D