Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

redbruce

Eats Squid
No, that’s been considered and rejected by the industry. Battery packs are not a big Energiser D cell - they’re complex. There are built in electronics, there are cooling systems plumbed into the cars, there are canbus interactions etc etc. Swap and go is not a thing...
Works in Formula E. Some differences admittedly but plug 'n' play none the less.

Fast charge is slower than fossil fuel refill and likely to remain so.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Works in Formula E. Some differences admittedly but plug 'n' play none the less.

Fast charge is slower than fossil fuel refill and likely to remain so.
Yeah, but fast charge is rare. It’s not as if you’re waiting around every single time you need juice like a petrol or hydrogen car - you just plug it in at home and virtually never need a fast charge. If it’s once in a blue moon you’re doing it who cares if it’s half an hour instead of 5 minutes to fill...

redbruce

Eats Squid
Yeah, but fast charge is rare. It’s not as if you’re waiting around every single time you need juice like a petrol or hydrogen car - you just plug it in at home and virtually never need a fast charge. If it’s once in a blue moon you’re doing it who cares if it’s half an hour instead of 5 minutes to fill...
I guess its all about context.
Refueling my vehicle on holiday, probably happy to take a coffee break (but then conditional on good coffee). Work vehicle (ag research all over Victoria) I just wanna get there.

If you remove choice, it will be a problem.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Me.

Haakon

What's he think about EVs?
He had a mate ride an electric race bike at the Isle of Man who convinced him they’re the real deal, and has already been thinking about how the business he’s in will change in coming years. He’s a proper petrol head and likes going fast - hence EV is ok if it goes fast :)

I told him to look up EV West as an example of an “electric speed shop”.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Then put yourself in the small minority who it won’t work for. But how often do you do more than 500kms in a day?

And if you do 700, that’s a 10min fast charge to finish the day.
Regularly.

And that is bullshit.

My mate with the GT2RS assures me there is a genuine F40 in SEQ but it doesn't see the light of day. Very sad really.

Haakon

Regularly.

And that is bullshit.

My mate with the GT2RS assures me there is a genuine F40 in SEQ but it doesn't see the light of day. Very sad really.
Bugger... That sucks having to drive that much... Oh well, don’t buy an EV if you don’t want to.

What is bullshit?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Your numbers.

Tesla say the Model S has 100kWh of useable battery and a range up to 595km. A 2t car on flat road will need something like 50-70kW to maintain 100km/h. That doesnt work out to 700km or even 595km. Just 2 hours or 200km. Even charging 100kWh in 10 minutes needs 600kW of energy transfer at 100% efficiency. What voltage is being pumped in? 240V, so that is 2,500A; 415V? 1,445A. Once these things have 500kWh battery capacity and can charge in an hour then @Cardy George can have one.

Edit: and I happen to know someone in the village with a model S, not sure which battery and it is an older one. I know what their real world usage is like and also that it sat outside a workshop for 3 months because it cvouldn't be driven waiting on a part from the good old U S of A.

Last edited: