Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Scary thing is those new ones are a lot better dynamically than the ones a couple of generations before. They were full "understeer is safe" handling design. Proper scary on the road.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Scary thing is those new ones are a lot better dynamically than the ones a couple of generations before. They were full "understeer is safe" handling design. Proper scary on the road.
This one is super floaty - very soft shock settings. And totally dead steering. After an hour in it I’ve learnt it a bit and can place it ok on the road, but damn it’s lifeless.

Set up is very much for the US market im guessing...

Radar cruise is interesting, not used one before.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
And totally dead steering.
The early gen hybrid ones had appalling steering, 0 feel from dead center to about 10 degrees off and very little auto recentering. They were the staple choice in our car fleet and after driving one for 2 hours along a fairly boring and straight stretch of highway I was exhausted. Had to concentrate hard af just to keep the thing between the white lines.

Haakon

The early gen hybrid ones had appalling steering, 0 feel from dead center to about 10 degrees off and very little auto recentering. They were the staple choice in our car fleet and after driving one for 2 hours along a fairly boring and straight stretch of highway I was exhausted. Had to concentrate hard af just to keep the thing between the white lines.
Yeah, i just did a couple of hours highway/freeway work in it. It’s not awesome.

The lane keep assist made me jump the first time it tugged on the wheel though!!

Weird spec - radar cruise and lane assist, but manual wipers and AC. Crappy gearbox too, rough as hell downshifts...

I’m going to be kinder to my bog boring non sport Megane - it’s possibly sporty compared to this!

Haakon

What the fuck are you up to anyway? Stroking corporate cock?
Learning all sorts of interesting things.

But Hyundai and Toyota are dead serious about making their fuel cell cars at full production scale. They’ve basically perfected it, and it’s just a matter of economics and hydrogen supply now.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Which method emits less CO2 - electricity production into charging batteries or manufacturing & transporting hydrogen?

And wouldn't a hydrogen vehicle have more maintenance than an EV?

These are the questions that need to be answered.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
In time wouldn't the vehicles transporting the hydrogen also be powered by hydrogen?

I'd heard of the process, have a vague understanding of it, was wondering why it hadn't been developed further

Haakon

Which method emits less CO2 - electricity production into charging batteries or manufacturing & transporting hydrogen?

And wouldn't a hydrogen vehicle have more maintenance than an EV?

These are the questions that need to be answered.
It’s a bit more complicated than that... short version is it depends.

Longer version is it doesn’t matter if renewable electricity (for direct use in batteries or for making hydrogen) is being made in enough quantity.

Haakon

Hydrogen for transport is getting legs because Japan and Korea have energy security issues in conjunction with a drive to decarbonise. Without much in the way of renewables themselves, hydrogen is a way to import renewable energy from places like Australia. So for them it makes sense.

For us, fuel cell cars are not needed and battery electric is better.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It’s a bit more complicated than that... short version is it depends.

Longer version is it doesn’t matter if renewable electricity (for direct use in batteries or for making hydrogen) is being made in enough quantity.
Why did you ignore my question about maintenance?

And remember my previous statements about energy reductions as the first port of call for solving CC? Energy used to produce hydrogen is stupidly large.

We don’t have the luxury to move to green electricity in volume to cater for hydrogen alongside transitioning our existing FF energy needs to green electricity.

Hydrogen is a scam.

Last edited:

Haakon

Why did you ignore my question about maintenance?

And remember my previous statements about energy reductions as the first port of call for solving CC? Energy used to produce hydrogen is stupidly large.

We don’t have the luxury to move to green electricity in volume to cater for hydrogen alongside transitioning our existing FF energy needs to green electricity.

Hydrogen is a scam.
Oh right sorry. Maintenance - yeah it’s higher (but lower than an ICE) and the 160K km service life Hyundai are quoting isn’t great.

It’s not a scam, it’s just a part of a total suite of solutions. There being no one silver bullet beyond massive depopulation...

You have to remember the collection of approaches differs from country to country.

My view is transport fuel cells isn’t the main use of hydrogen, it’s as a feedstock for chemical and synthetic fuel manufacturing, and for replacing fossil fuels where heat is still required for processes like steel and cement making.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
To me, hydrogen seems to be the closest replacement to the 5 min FF top up so therefore there's a commercial proposition to transitioning that way (for private vehicle transportation).

But the downsides are huge.

Watch this:

Haakon

Yeah seen that and don’t disagree. Like I said, Japan and Korea have some unique problems and fuel cell cars are not really needed elsewhere.

In California, Toyota are selling 3 year old Mirai that have come off leases for $20k with a $15k fuel card thrown in...

Haakon

The thing is that with a hydrogen car you need a fast fill every time because you’re having to go to a filling station like an ICE. For a BEV car, who cares how long it takes to charge when 95% of the charging is overnight at home. The need for a fast charge is rare and 200kms of range in 10 min is fine.

The whole “it refills fast” argument ignores the way electric cars are actually used in the real world.

stirk

Burner
The thing is that with a hydrogen car you need a fast fill every time because you’re having to go to a filling station like an ICE. For a BEV car, who cares how long it takes to charge when 95% of the charging is overnight at home. The need for a fast charge is rare and 200kms of range in 10 min is fine.

The whole “it refills fast” argument ignores the way electric cars are actually used in the real world.
I've been musing over the electric car and it's recharging requirements for ages and I can't recall if I've mentioned it here.

Swap and go batteries are the only way to go, pull into a servo and swap out low batteries for full ones and off you go. Charging might be ok for city cars but then you need long distance ones in the big country. There is no easy solution in this country.