Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
It's telling, of the entire climate change issue, that this thread is booming, while this one discussing what we could actually do has died in the arse. As with most polarising topics, no amount of talking at people will ever convince someone to change their behaviour. I think we would all do better to be a bit more open-minded about our approaches. Something no one mentions is that in a different world, with less resources, less arable land, etc, we will have to work even harder to all get along, so we might as well start practicing now. As a bonus, we might actually find some ways of implementing change that sticks rather than just shrieking about it.

moorey

call me Mia
And I'm not talking about becoming vegan or living in a mud hut.
Hey! It’s mud AND straw!

It’s well known we are capable of halting (possibly reversing) climate change. ‘We’ just don’t have the political will to do it.
The people in charge are either going to be dead soon, don’t believe in it, or don’t see enough political gain in tackling it.
As individuals, unfortunately we can’t do much. That’s not being defeatist, it’s just an unfortunate reality. I hate to say it, but the options basically need to be taken away from us, because essentially, we’re all hypocrites who want everyone else to fix it, and not let it impact our 1st world lifestyles.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Hey! It’s mud AND straw!

It’s well known we are capable of halting (possibly reversing) climate change. ‘We’ just don’t have the political will to do it.
The people in charge are either going to be dead soon, don’t believe in it, or don’t see enough political gain in tackling it.
As individuals, unfortunately we can’t do much. That’s not being defeatist, it’s just an unfortunate reality. I hate to say it, but the options basically need to be taken away from us, because essentially, we’re all hypocrites who want everyone else to fix it, and not let it impact our 1st world lifestyles.
Fuck I hate agreeing with you ahahaha.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yep. But climbing aboard an aircraft to emit 6,000kg of CO2 is a good thing???

We can do our bit, like choosing not to fly or carry out other indulgent pursuits that make the problem worse.

I'm using overseas flights as a graphic example of low hanging fruit. It's something we can absolutely do that makes a massive difference to our personal emissions.

Start the conversation with everyone you know, see how far you get. See how distant their knowledge is about CC & what's required to fix it.

As stated earlier, if all glutenous options were taken away from us, we'd have this problem half-licked!

moorey

call me Mia
I’m not saying we can’t do our bit, But government expecting and asking people to make all the small changes, is just trying to absolve them from doing something serious.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I think the evidence at hand fairly comprehensivly disputes that notion...
What evidence is that?

morality
/məˈralɪti/
Learn to pronounce
noun
principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour.
Calling you a hypocrite who should know better doesn't break any moral code.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I’m not saying we can’t do our bit, But government expecting and asking people to make all the small changes, is just trying to absolve them from doing something serious.
Is not emitting 6,000kg of CO2 a small change?

The govt isn't listening to the people, they are listening to big business.

moorey

call me Mia
It is, but it’s also an extreme example. I’m nearly 50, and have been to Europe once in my life. That said, I clocked up around 10,000 km in the car in just over two months taking Felix to races, As well as Tasmania for 20 minutes of racing. I am well aware of my hypocrisy on this matter, and taking my string bags to the green grocer isn’t balancing that out.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It's telling, of the entire climate change issue, that this thread is booming, while this one discussing what we could actually do has died in the arse. As with most polarising topics, no amount of talking at people will ever convince someone to change their behaviour. I think we would all do better to be a bit more open-minded about our approaches. Something no one mentions is that in a different world, with less resources, less arable land, etc, we will have to work even harder to all get along, so we might as well start practicing now. As a bonus, we might actually find some ways of implementing change that sticks rather than just shrieking about it.
I think I linked it in the other thread, but what's needed is explained in the document below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bze7GXvI3ywrSGxYWDVXM3hVUm8/view

Please read it & come back here.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It is, but it’s also an extreme example. I’m nearly 50, and have been to Europe once in my life. That said, I clocked up around 10,000 km in the car in just over two months taking Felix to races, As well as Tasmania for 20 minutes of racing. I am well aware of my hypocrisy on this matter, and taking my string bags to the green grocer isn’t balancing that out.
Not extreme where I live. Every fucker I speak to is off to or just come back from an overseas trip. It's like a fucking disease.

Bloke in the cafe in front of me was excited to be off to New York then Italy then Singapore. One after another I hear these stories of anticipation or tales of enjoyment.

It has to fucking stop!

[edit] And I flew to Derby to have some MTB shits & giggles. I thought about the 300kg of CO2 emissions & managed to justify it. We all justify it somehow.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
What evidence is that?

Calling you a hypocrite who should know better doesn't break any moral code.
Ok fine. If you're just going to be a dick, I'm out. Its not a "my footprint is better than yours" pissing contest, but if it were I guarantee mine is better over my lifetime.

We are all hypocrites, yourself included. Its not necessarily the point, but we've already covered that. Go and think about how you can drive change beyond your own life - if you leave it at personal actions and just rant at other people you will contribute exactly zip to the solution.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
How do you know they're unnecessary? Not that I need to justify them to a bunch of randoms on a forum...
They are unnecessary.

And it's about what we do now, now we know better.

I'm never going on another o/s flight. Never. I'm trying to demonstrate to others that they too should be making such changes to their glutenous behavior.

Tell me how else we can make a difference - and don't go down the "get involved in politics" dead end. Any change there would take too long to enact & only a fool would expect a satisfactory outcome anyway.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
They are unnecessary.

And it's about what we do now, now we know better.

I'm never going on another o/s flight. Never. I'm trying to demonstrate to others that they too should be making such changes to their glutenous behavior.

Tell me how else we can make a difference - and don't go down the "get involved in politics" dead end. Any change there would take too long to enact & only a fool would expect a satisfactory outcome anyway.
Cool, if you want to contain your efforts to things that small, go for it. I'm working towards bigger changes than that, and my flying is largely irrelevant in that. I've already made suggestions, you dismissed them and still fail to suggest other means. I'm sorry, I cant help you.