New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
The Facebook page says 3.5 million buckuroos to build some jumps 12 years to get there ?

You be standing in the VIP line with your bike along time.

I'm diggling for info, because there isn't any
Alternatively knowing that these things take time and that unanticipated hurdles are likely I'll just chill with my bike at some of the other sweet riding locations around the country and around the world until such time as it is ready to ride.

Not specifically targeted at you Diggler but I'm struggling to understand why a group of people with no vested interests seem so emotional and irate over this, nobody has been able to present any evidence that an intricate scam is underfoot, what purpose does the negative speculation serve?
That has more to do with the antics of the criminals on Northern Beaches Council than empty promises and froth from the builders though.
They haven't asked for public donations, have they?
Yes GVBP have asked for the general public to support their vision but putting up some of their hard earned and as far as I am aware nobody from either the crowd funding or the VIP60 are crying fraud.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not specifically targeted at you Diggler but I'm struggling to understand why a group of people with no vested interests seem so emotional and irate over this, nobody has been able to present any evidence that an intricate scam is underfoot, what purpose does the negative speculation serve?
I started piling on when they announced the crowd funding, with no obligation on how, where and when the money would be spent. Is this fraud, or is anyone who is "not in the know" an idiot who deserves to lose whatever money they threw at this pipe dream?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I started piling on when they announced the crowd funding, with no obligation on how, where and when the money would be spent. Is this fraud, or is anyone who is "not in the know" an idiot who deserves to lose whatever money they threw at this pipe dream?
To be brutally honest yes and it's the same for any investment. It's a personal financial decision, there are no guarantees and if you aren't able to satisfy yourself that those risks can be mitigated then it would be a foolish decision.

Do you have anything concrete to prove that the park is a pipe dream? I'm not disagreeing that their initial projections were heading towards the ridiculous end of optimistic but I don't have any evidence that it won't get up eventually.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Someone in the know has finally summed it up:

The project is being run by dishonest optimists and is being funded by a handful of idiots. Chance of a MTB park = 0% :(

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Someone in the know has finally summed it up:

The project is being run by dishonest optimists and is being funded a handful by idiots. Chance of a MTB park = >0% but <100% :(
With the amendments that I have taken the liberty of making I agree with your statement.

But yeah I guess you're right, glad that it's clear for everyone now, that'll be thread closed then and just think they would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you darn kids.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
With the amendments that I have taken the liberty of making I agree with your statement.

But yeah I guess you're right, glad that it's clear for everyone now, that'll be thread closed then and just think they would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you darn kids.
It's very easy to not look dodgy, and do exactly what they've done, as in take a long time to get a project running, that inherently takes a long time. Tell the truth, keep people updated. A chairlift, is not the truth, everyone knows that will never, ever happen on a that really tiny hill. I'll eat my flower drum if it does. That was the start of me piling on, don't bring absolute bullshit to the table and expect everyone to eat it.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I'm not going to argue that the level of froth hasn't been excessive to the point of cringe worthy or that any favours have been done with the lack of a solid marketing strategy but I don't believe anybody is being intentionally dishonest, delusional yeah possibly but dishonest no.
It's very easy to not look dodgy, and do exactly what they've done, as in take a long time to get a project running, that inherently takes a long time. Tell the truth, keep people updated. A chairlift, is not the truth, everyone knows that will never, ever happen on a that really tiny hill. I'll eat my flower drum if it does. That was the start of me piling on, don't bring absolute bullshit to the table and expect everyone to eat it.
It's also very easy to get overexcited and a tad carried away when these things start to take shape.

Flow-Rider

Burner
To be brutally honest yes and it's the same for any investment. It's a personal financial decision, there are no guarantees and if you aren't able to satisfy yourself that those risks can be mitigated then it would be a foolish decision.

Do you have anything concrete to prove that the park is a pipe dream? I'm not disagreeing that their initial projections were heading towards the ridiculous end of optimistic but I don't have any evidence that it won't get up eventually.
There are so many red flags it's not funny, quoting an estimated completion date nowhere near the time needed, no feasibility study that I can see, a trail building company quoted $20 a meter for 10km of trail, which is unheard of these days, are they going to get a 17 year old kid with a rake and pick to dig trail at $20 a meter. Not to mention the chairlift saga.

It's the typical get people and people's money involved to bend local council over a barrel that's backfired, it's a developer strategy. The government doesn't usually give free grants out for MTB trails willy nilly, it takes time and money to prove that people are doing the right thing before they release funding and with development approvals, things need to be done right.

It's a dream that someone hasn't thought through enough and il prepared, I wouldn't call it a deliberate scam, it just looks like inexperience to me and big hopes. I reckon you'll see trail built but not to the scale or caliber that they had wished to do so in such a short amount of time.

Last edited:

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Yes GVBP have asked for the general public to support their vision but putting up some of their hard earned and as far as I am aware nobody from either the crowd funding or the VIP60 are crying fraud.
That question was about Belrose. Not sure how you confused that.

I'm struggling to understand why a group of people with no vested interests seem so emotional and irate over this, nobody has been able to present any evidence that an intricate scam is underfoot, what purpose does the negative speculation serve?
33 pages of froth, mate. ... what purpose does bullshitting serve?

It's really easy to check on the progress and current status of other bike park projects.

Methinks thou doth protest too much

the ridiculous end of optimistic
Is shady as fuck the moment you ask for public funding.

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
That question was about Belrose. Not sure how you confused that. It seems like a deliberate attempt to confuse the issue.
I didn't confuse the question, I assumed it was rhetorical. My reply was intended to point out that nobody who has donated money for the GVBP project has raised any concern as to where their money has gone.

33 pages of froth, mate. ... what purpose does bullshitting serve?

It's really easy to check on the progress and current status of other bike park projects.

Methinks thou doth protest too much
Looking back over the thread it seems more like 33 pages of anti-froth and I can't seem to find much bullshit in any of the comments made here, as for my protesting could you clarify that comment further for me please? What exactly have I been protesting against. I only joined back in the discussion to point out that the Belrose Park has also been many years of hard work by those involved and that it didn't happen overnight as Diggles implied.

FigBo0T

I didn't confuse the question, I assumed it was rhetorical. My reply was intended to point out that nobody who has donated money for the GVBP project has raised any concern as to where their money has gone.

Looking back over the thread it seems more like 33 pages of anti-froth and I can't seem to find much bullshit in any of the comments made here, as for my protesting could you clarify that comment further for me please? What exactly have I been protesting against. I only joined back in the discussion to point out that the Belrose Park has also been many years of hard work by those involved and that it didn't happen overnight as Diggles implied.
Early in this thread you mentioned a connection to the project. I think you know some of the people involved? You invested? I'm not sure, so these are questions.

"methinks thou doth ..." is an adaptation of a line from Shakespeare's Hamlet

As I already pointed out, the Belrose project cannot be critiqued for lacking transparency. It's really that simple. Throwing shade attracts derision.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Early in this thread you mentioned a connection to the project. I think you know some of the people involved? You invested? I'm not sure, so these are questions.
I now know what the VIP60 is for - it's genius really. It's representatives from shops, clubs, event runners. GVBP has to keep these guys onside so that if funding from the government / punters fails to eventuate they can pull the "at least we tried" card and still have the contacts to build trails elsewhere..................................;)

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
My only connections to the project are through personal ties with Adrian at Synergy, we used to ride together every so often until life got in the way, Synergy built the pump track at my house and I'm a part of the VIP60. Am I invested financially? Not really, I gave some money to a friend so that he could have a go at chasing a life long dream, I acknowledge that I'm privileged enough that I was in a financial position to do be able to do this and I don't see it any differently to the times I've given money to other friends and family when they have been in need. Am I invested emotionally? No, well not half as much as the rest of the antagonists here appear to be.
"methinks thou doth ..." is an adaptation of a line from Shakespeare's Hamlet
Thanks I am aware of Hamlet, I was trying to clarify why you doubt my sincerity?
As I already pointed out, the Belrose project cannot be critiqued for lacking transparency. It's really that simple. Throwing shade attracts derision.
I never questioned anything to do with Belrose, a statement was made that "at least that new Belrose place will open this year." and I wanted to know if the person who said it realised how much work had gone into that project to get it to where it is today.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The project is in a mid-stage of the D/A process which incidentally passed the gateway with council on the 2014 application who are now considering the 2018 amendment.

Given the scope of ambition it’s not surprising that this is taking its sweet time.

As it is currently a privately funded venture they owe nobody information or justification of how things are progressing. I don’t think the crowd funders were promised full access for theIr $50. If rate payer money were involved obviously things would be different.

As @cokeonspecialtwodollars implies, the anti-froth seems to be being pursued with as much vigour as the actual froth on the website.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I now know what the VIP60 is for - it's genius really. It's representatives from shops, clubs, event runners. GVBP has to keep these guys onside so that if funding from the government / punters fails to eventuate they can pull the "at least we tried" card and still have the contacts to build trails elsewhere..................................;)
I am none of these things

FigBo0T

As it is currently a privately funded venture they owe nobody information or justification of how things are progressing. I don’t think the crowd funders were promised full access for theIr $50. If rate payer money were involved obviously things would be different.

What's the current market rate for a day of shuttles in a bike park? I'd say $50 was a pretty good deal. It's an investment.

As @cokeonspecialtwodollars implies, the anti-froth seems to be being pursued with as much vigour as the actual froth on the website.
The anti-froth is based in reality.

Last edited: