COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I paid the $13 extra for DHL for a wiggle order on Thursday thinking things might grind to a halt soonish. It’s cleared customs in Sydney this morning.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Absolute shit show down at the shops this morning. First stop, Woolies. Got judged hard for buying a box of sardines (48 tins, which we use to make our own dog food and freeze). People shopping are on a mission and common courtesy has gone out the window. I feel sorry for the cashiers and anyone else working in a shopping centre.
Next stop was our local bulk food cooperative - the place was full, usually it's just a couple of mums in linen pants and hemp shirts, and a farmer or two doing their monthly shop loading up their old AU ute, but there were a few fancy cars in the carpark and different sorts of people in there this time. They were out of oats, limited amount of flour, not much rice left, plenty of hand soap left though.. go figure.
Next was the green grocer, packed again. Different vibe to usual; more hurried and people less courteous - more potatoes, onions, pumpkins in everyone's trolleys.
Finally, the cafe for coffee beans - cafe was empty at lunch time and only one person on for the arvo shift.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Local Aldi out of potato chips, some Arab people arguing over 2kg packs of sugar, shop had little else left,only soft drink & lollies chocs.. insane

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I hope my flywheel for the rpoject car turns up before lockdown... Would be nice to spend the time getting the drivetrain back in and running! But DHL and auspost from Germany doesnt sound hopeful.
I've held off ordering some bike parts from aliexpress because it's bad enough on a good day.

Flow-Rider

Burner
My Ti frame is going to have a very hard time getting here. Parts are no good if they have nothing to go on :(
Oh no, that doesn't look good ATM.

I was going to ask a few weeks ago if anyone had received mail from China in a good time frame but wasn't game to ask after everything in the media of late :(.

Last edited:

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
We've made a conscious effort over several years to encourage a few independent shops (yes we still have these in Tassie) to stock stuff we use, and consequently now never have to go near Coles or Woolies. Usual weekly shopping trip on Sunday found them all still well stocked (pallet load of dunny paper in the middle of the floor was still there from last week in the IGA) except for oats and some flour. Weirdly the shortage of flour was self raising, plain flour no problem. Either people think they are going to survive this by baking cakes and bikkies, or they are fuckwits who have never made bread before. I know what I'm betting on.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
SR flour makes great pancakes. That's how I'm going to live...

Potato box? You know they grow in the ground right @Zaf ?

Just a out to venture into the grocery store...vibe is just like any other day. Regular rude novocastrians being jerks. The city seems to be an oasis of calm or underprepared people.

I hear WA is in a bit of a state.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
An even better spud box can be made by making it a bit narrower front to back so that when you take of the front panel at the bottom you can reach right in. Grow your spuds as above but when you harvest the spuds take them and the soil from the bottom and push the remaining soil down. Throw the dirt that comes out with the spuds back in the top with a bit of compost and keep it cycling.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
kids footie academy just cancelled. Clubs haven't pulled the pin on preseason training yet but surely that's coming

An even better spud box can be made by making it a bit narrower front to back so that when you take of the front panel at the bottom you can reach right in. Grow your spuds as above but when you harvest the spuds take them and the soil from the bottom and push the remaining soil down. Throw the dirt that comes out with the spuds back in the top with a bit of compost and keep it cycling.
just use the old septic tank out the back

moorey

call me Mia
My organization trialling a shut down Wednesday. More to come. No attending external meetings. Our work revolves around supporting people in foster care, residential care, family violence refuges, temporary homeless houses.....not exactly sure how it’s meant to work. :oops:

stirk

Burner
SR flour makes great pancakes. That's how I'm going to live...

Potato box? You know they grow in the ground right @Zaf ?

Just a out to venture into the grocery store...vibe is just like any other day. Regular rude novocastrians being jerks. The city seems to be an oasis of calm or underprepared people.

I hear WA is in a bit of a state.
Everyone is calm as they already have full pantries and TP to last a year.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My organization trialling a shut down Wednesday. More to come. No attending external meetings. Our work revolves around supporting people in foster care, residential care, family violence refuges, temporary homeless houses.....not exactly sure how it’s meant to work. :oops:
Thats not going to be fun. Good luck.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The more I hear about the measures being taken the more I wonder if we are sacrificing our young to save the old.

Severe economic disruption and widespread unemployment will kill people just as surely as a virus.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk