COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Indeed. I'm hoping our pissweak leaders actually make the obvious decision in a few minutes time.........
I'm far from convinced it will make any difference out here... there's very little left in town in terms of discretionary services to actually shut down.

Nor is there much capacity to keep people in their homes given we don't have a large police group and they are already reasonably stretched.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yep, onflow from construction delay or stand still is huge. And if banks can't lend servicable loans to keep funds flowing. Fun. On the flip side, investors are having a ball with the "near free" money.
How long do you think they'll be able to hold onto them if rents stop flowing in ? I had a look today at sales and no one is dropping the ball in my area yet, just some shitty overpriced houses up for grabs, there was better stuff around a month ago.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Construction industry is now starting to feel it, clients not able to service loans, settlements on land etc. Developers going to have to forego some profits if they want to keep the price from collapsing.
I'm lucky in that our clients are government in the ACT, business as normal as governed by the common law Contract between Contractor and Principal. Rumour is that the ACT will be pushing more works for infrastructure in the very near future.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Here's a superannuation hypothetical for the forum, it probably has too many assumptions to be considered practical for most people but given the opportunity to take $10k from your super or redraw $10k against a mortgaged asset which would be the better option?
Not financial advice, etc etc, but you can really only know the outcome of one of those options, being redrawing on your mortgage. I ran the numbers on my own mortgage and redrawing $10k would end up costing me $4k in extra interest paid over the life of the loan, all things remaining equal. Without taking into account any tax implications, if your super is indexed against the sharemarket (i.e. more of a balanced option, rather than growth or conservative options) if the share market has dropped 30%, before that drop, $10k would've been worth $14285, so you are locking in a $4285 loss by withdrawing $10k.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
You should have seen my little town today...the only difference between normal and now was the pub was shut, the cafes were only doing takeaways and... that's about it. Plenty of people about the place as usual...
It was noticeably quieter here, but still people out and about. We were only in town to get the final supplies. We now have food and heat sorted. And enough space around the house to see the zombies coming

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
How long do you think they'll be able to hold onto them if rents stop flowing in ? I had a look today at sales and no one is dropping the ball in my area yet, just some shitty overpriced houses up for grabs, there was better stuff around a month ago.
I wouldn't expect established to drop, people will turn to it as construction slows and the smaller builders fold and developers have been taking the hard line recently. Banks will enjoy bricks and mortar aswell, compared to running into any possible risks from folding builder/developers.

There's already talk of some mid sized buildees who have been running on no margin and all promo being in strife.

We are sitting for a minimum 120 day gap and got our stocks secured for for the next few months. No talk of staff lay-offs either, actually pretty chuffed with how works owners and senior managment have been handling it and us staff.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Well done mate, good to have secure employment.
Yeah, it's nice to have. Got a fair amount of pay to come through, so even if we stop selling for 2 to 3 months I'm lucky enough to have a fair bit of income already locked down.

Managements already crunched their numbers and are working out the back end post this to get a step up on the flip side. I know post this, construction costs will blow up, trades trying to recover, the weaker dollars on goods and general surge in demand. Going to be a wild ride once we get through this if doesn't turn for the worse.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Boot camps with 10 or less observing strict social distancing is fine, as is sending your child to school.

Fuck the teachers though, they're expendable.....

Flow-Rider

Burner
I wouldn't expect established to drop, people will turn to it as construction slows and the smaller builders fold and developers have been taking the hard line recently. Banks will enjoy bricks and mortar aswell, compared to running into any possible risks from folding builder/developers.

There's already talk of some mid sized buildees who have been running on no margin and all promo being in strife.

We are sitting for a minimum 120 day gap and got our stocks secured for for the next few months. No talk of staff lay-offs either, actually pretty chuffed with how works owners and senior managment have been handling it and us staff.
I wonder if people will rush to try and downsize from the larger homes, say around the 1mil~800k to under 500k. A big ouch for builders going under, that's rarely good for anyone.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The poor lady doing sign language on Channel 9 must be buggered. Going to need to find some stood-down Olympic athletes that know sign language to take this role over in the future.