COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
From the ABC this morning:

Clive Palmer purchases 32 million doses of drug

Billionaire and former MP Clive Palmer's foundation has bought more than 32 million doses of hydroxychloroquine.

The malaria drug has been touted as a "game changer" by US President Donald Trump in treating patients with COVID-19, but recent research — which has not yet been peer reviewed — found no benefit.

A US-based study at veterans' hospitals actually found more deaths among those given the drug, compared to patients who received standard care.

In a statement posted to Twitter, Mr Palmer said: "The Palmer Foundation has donated the drug to the Australian Government to be placed on the National Medical Stockpile so it may be made available free to all Australians."

Mr Palmer did also point out in a media release from The Palmer Foundation that if not found to be useful in treating COVID-19 the drugs could still be used to treat "malaria, lupus and auto-immune diseases" and that Australians who need it will not have difficulty acquiring the drug.

Mr Trump has stockpiled 29 million doses of hydroxychloroquine as a potential treatment, but trials in Sweden, France and Brazil were called off after patients had negative reactions.

Can't see chloroquine as being the COVID-19 panacea Mr. Palmer, nor does the TGA:

"...these medicines pose well-known serious risks to patients including cardiac toxicity (potentially leading to sudden heart attacks), irreversible eye damage and severe depletion of blood sugar (potentially leading to coma)."

Tell you what Clive, you take a bunch of doses first to make sure it's safe for the rest of us...

He would have been better off buying 'ludes to save a few relationships during the lockdown, and to help poodle with his 3 ways.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
No sushi or dog rolls that day.
Fuck mate are you serious? This started as a pretty thin "not racist but..." comment and then ended up at avoiding sushi and "dog rolls"?

Again - everyone who is in Australia has either not travelled in the last month, or has returned from O/S and done two weeks quarantine.

You can't tell them apart by looking at them - they look like your classmate's Indonesian husband or my Italian partner, and a large number of them look like the hipsters making your focaccia and flat white who just got back from their trip to Berlin where they spent four days sharing sweat, saliva, and MDMA with everyone at Berghain.

Again - yes be concerned about going to TAFE and the close contacts with others it necessitates because you can't know for sure what others are doing to mitigate viral spread, but drop the xenophobic bullshit.

moorey

call me Mia

Billionaire and former MP Clive Palmer's foundation has bought more than 32 million doses of hydroxychloroquine.

The malaria drug has been touted as a "game changer" by US President Donald Trump in treating patients with COVID-19, but recent research — which has not yet been peer reviewed — found no benefit.

A US-based study at veterans' hospitals actually found more deaths among those given the drug, compared to patients who received standard care.

In a statement posted to Twitter, Mr Palmer said: "The Palmer Foundation has donated the drug to the Australian Government to be placed on the National Medical Stockpile so it may be made available free to all Australians."

Mr Palmer did also point out in a media release from The Palmer Foundation that if not found to be useful in treating COVID-19 the drugs could still be used to treat "malaria, lupus and auto-immune diseases" and that Australians who need it will not have difficulty acquiring the drug.

Mr Trump has stockpiled 29 million doses of hydroxychloroquine as a potential treatment, but trials in Sweden, France and Brazil were called off after patients had negative reactions.

Can't see chloroquine as being the COVID-19 panacea Mr. Palmer, nor does the TGA:

"...these medicines pose well-known serious risks to patients including cardiac toxicity (potentially leading to sudden heart attacks), irreversible eye damage and severe depletion of blood sugar (potentially leading to coma)."

Tell you what Clive, you take a bunch of doses first to make sure it's safe for the rest of us...

He would have been better off buying 'ludes to save a few relationships during the lockdown, and to help poodle with his 3 ways.
Maybe he’s planning on capitalizing on the shortage caused by Trumps self serving stupidity. People who actually require the drug for its intended purpose are apparently finding it in short supply.

There’s up to a 2 week lag in showing symptoms (or not) of COVID19. US cases have jumped overnight. Has is been 2 weeks yet since morons ramped up the protesting and ignoring of Shut downs/social distancing?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I disitinctly remember this cartoon when it came out, and thought it was hilarious. I've thought of it many times in my life when someone walks out of the dunny without visiting the sink, and it's even popped into my head and made me chuckle just washing my own hands in a public toilet, a true classic.

We've always been good hand washers in my family, I can rmember my son would have been in his early teens and one of the very few times in my life where I've taken a piss and been rushing or distracted so bypassed the hand washing, he noticed and called me out on it.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Great minds think alike.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
went out last night to pick up an ikea order, they have 35 spots for contactless delivery. the order confirm gives you a timeslot, ours was a 7 hour window last night. You park, sms the number with your order and what bay you are in and they place the order near your car after confirmation.

2 of the 35 spots had people in the cars. Even in a massive shopping centre with endless empty spots, people can't stand to do the right thing. like the idiots who think they're making a point about equality by parking in parents spots.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I disitinctly remember this cartoon when it came out, and thought it was hilarious. I've thought of it many times in my life when someone walks out of the dunny without visiting the sink, and it's even popped into my head and made me chuckle just washing my own hands in a public toilet, a true classic.

We've always been good hand washers in my family, I can rmember my son would have been in his early teens and one of the very few times in my life where I've taken a piss and been rushing or distracted so bypassed the hand washing, he noticed and called me out on it.
No matter how nice the handsoap looks never ever walk out into the main area sniffing your fingers.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
There was a Farside animated show called "Gary Larsons Tales From the Far side", it was actually the best thing ever.
We taped it off TV and wore out the VHS, and I've never been able to find it online.