Bargain buys thread

link1896

Mr Greenfield
XC crank brothers wheels and a rider @ 100kg.

Oh dear. Going to be messy. Matt Amee is going to be riding to sadvilles ebike fast

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
XC crank brothers wheels and a rider @ 100kg.

Oh dear. Going to be messy. Matt Amee is going to be riding to sadvilles ebike fast
I may have resembled this characterisation. The wheels are still in one piece even after all this time...but I wouldn't use them anymore for XC!!

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dont know if this has been posted before but this was a very funnt pisstake on crank bros wheels (and more generally applicable to a lot of new shit that comes out)
View attachment 364597
Love this! I have searched for it multiple times after reading it a long time ago to no avail.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Dont know if this has been posted before but this was a very funnt pisstake on crank bros wheels (and more generally applicable to a lot of new shit that comes out)
View attachment 364597
A piece of very good history...

moorey

call me Mia
View attachment 364597
I’ve never seen that...yet feel like I could have written it.

Ponchoatdirtworks

Likes Dirt
Ah yes. Cobalt wheels.
I had become the Australian distributor for Crank Brothers shortly after they released their amazing “Eggbeater” pedal.
Their two designers, Frank & Carl seemed to be on a hot streak. Starting out with a clever tyre lever design, then the pedals. Soon after we welcomed these minimalist multi-tools...
So I’m invited to a private product launch in a suite of the Taipei Hyatt.
I’m told of an innovative new game changer product.

Meet the Cobalt wheelset!

After the presentation I was asked for my honest opinion. I gave it.

• they’re heavier than a conventional 32H wheelset I already build for customers.
• they can’t be trued
• they use heavy rims to resist the high point loads of the paired spokes
• they use odd spokes that can’t be substituted
• low & paired spokes makes them susceptible to sticks & debris jamming through them on trails
• there’s no credible sealing/shielding of the bearings
• they are one size fits most. We build to the rider, spoke count, spoke gauge, rim weight tuned to the rider’s needs & weight
• Oh, they’re tubeless! That’s nice!

Mum always said to try to finish with a positive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Ah yes. Cobalt wheels.
I had become the Australian distributor for Crank Brothers shortly after they released their amazing “Eggbeater” pedal.
Their two designers, Frank & Carl seemed to be on a hot streak. Starting out with a clever tyre lever design, then the pedals. Soon after we welcomed these minimalist multi-tools...
So I’m invited to a private product launch in a suite of the Taipei Hyatt.
I’m told of an innovative new game changer product.

Meet the Cobalt wheelset!

After the presentation I was asked for my honest opinion. I gave it.

• they’re heavier than a conventional 32H wheelset I already build for customers.
• they can’t be trued
• they use heavy rims to resist the high point loads of the paired spokes
• they use odd spokes that can’t be substituted
• low & paired spokes makes them susceptible to sticks & debris jamming through them on trails
• there’s no credible sealing/shielding of the bearings
• they are one size fits most. We build to the rider, spoke count, spoke gauge, rim weight tuned to the rider’s needs & weight
• Oh, they’re tubeless! That’s nice!

Mum always said to try to finish with a positive...

Please tell us their response......

Ponchoatdirtworks

Likes Dirt
That was an uncomfortable meeting. I assured them that we could still sell them. But I’d clearly broken the assumed contract of being a complete stooge & team player. It took them a while, but they were off to seek out a new distributor pretty much from that point on.

It’s really hard. I know that they’d put their heart & soul into it but I couldn’t look past the obvious shortcomings.

Conventional wheels are not some compromised design.
They are exactly the result of near 200 years of development, innovation & refinement. That’s why they can be so cheap, yet work so well.