Frame protection debate

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Having used Frameskin and AMS on a couple of bikes now but also having a carbon dual suspension bike that isn't wrapped in anyway...I'd say just go with impact protection on the down tube, BB and chainstays and rub protection from cables and water bottles.

The rest is mostly only needed if you want to try (and most likely fail) to maintain an immaculate frame...

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I purchased my Intense Carbine the frame had been to frameskin so they could fit their kit to it for website pictures, so essentially it came with a free frameskin. Bike did four years of hard service and was recently sold and looked almost new under the skin (which was a bit rashed up)
Having said all that, my current bikes just have ghetto helicopter tape protection on them at the moment

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I have the patience to do half of it - realise it all looks shithouse and rip it all off and say fuck it. If it doesn’t catch fire first.
Would you certainly pay some one to do it If it was an option here
If you were here in Canberra, the owner Allan of frameskin (one of Kowalski Bros also) might have done it for you

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I used the dots that came with the Bronson, stuff trying to heat and bend it around a whole frame.

slowmick

38-39"
The guys at Tint a Car in Mornington have been doing frames for the guys at Chain Brain Workshop. I guess it keeps them busy in the quiet times. The pictures look pretty amazing on their instagram feed.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Were they your efforts? IIRC, old bluey was done by the shop?
Nope, I did both of them.

Vastly different application techniques from memory though. I think I just flat-out stuck the blue-bird's skins on (and then read the instuctions, haha whoops!). With the black-bird I did the proper "apply with soapy water and squeegee" method.

Last edited:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Honest question, would the cost and time involved in putting a frameskin on your bike equate to the same/greater dollar value at resale?
I'm doubtful.

A frameskinned Specialized would nearly be worth more than RRP when it comes up secondhand

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I used the dots that came with the Bronson, stuff trying to heat and bend it around a whole frame.
I have a hundred or more approx 6x2cm stickers from the 26inches.com days and have done multiple layers on bits where cables rub. Thread has reminded me to do a check and see if I need more sticker action. But you can smash SC carbon frames into concrete pillars and nothing happens so I'm not too fussed ;)

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Current carbon bike the top tube has been grateful it had wrap teice (supplied with bike). Both shuttle related.

I intend to either snap or thrash the hell out of my current bike so that it isn't worth much when I choose to replace it.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Nope, I did both of them.

Vastly different application techniques from memory though. I think I just flat-out stuck the blue-bird's skins on (and then read the instuctions, haha whoops!). With the black-bird I did the proper "apply with soapy water and squeegee" method.
Well you nailed both!

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use Invisiframe. Had it on my current ride (Carbon) for years now, it’s a bit of a faff to install but has worked well at shrugging off scrapes etc. Worth the effort as keeps the bike looking nice and if you sell bikes after a few years Could help with the resale.
Same here RE Invisiframe. I've used pretty much all of them out there and Invisiframe are the best in my opinion. Firstly their coverage is awesome, they even have parts for the inside of the chainstays etc. Secondly their price and delivery times. They are cheaper than pretty much everyone else and even though it comes from the UK their delivery has ALWAYS been faster than the local companies.

Personally I would go this way instead of a DIY frame skin. You are spending some serious coin on a new bike, you want it protected and to look PIMP AF!!!! When the bike gets dirty you will see the edges of the frameskin which will show up any half arsed DIY jobs. When you wash it, it will look good again but the bike won't always be clean.

Vote 1 for a proper frameskin!!