Frame protection debate

Minlak

custom titis
As per title - getting my first full carbon mtb and thinking about frame protection - my first thoughts were just the obvious spots - second thoughts were full kit as you can buy a pre cut kit for the bike - third thought was do j really need more than the bike comes with - has chain stay for chain protection and bb protection.
The old bike wore very well the torrent is destroyed in so many places with chips etc.
Discuss please :)

Binaural

Eats Squid
Honestly, frame protection is pretty much a cosmetic decision. My commuter road bike gets treated with kid gloves and is in immaculate condition, but my MTB always looks like I've been dragging it through rocks and bushes (which is not untrue). I kind of like it to look a bit used, stops me being too precious or careful when I feel like giving it some.

Minlak

custom titis
Do you have a link to the full kit you’re looking at?

I can never be bothered and just do under the downtube and rub points. Never ruined a frame cause of something that tape would have saved.
I was looking at these guys https://www.ridewrap.ca/
$189 for a full kit around 22 pieces cut for your bike - you have to wait til next week to get a link to the exact kit :)

nathanm

Eats Squid
I think it comes down to resale value so how long you'll hold onto the bike for? If you're going to sell the bike in a year or two then wrapping would be well worth it to retain it's value down the track. The other consideration is being Carbon, will you ride it until it cracks and if so then no point wrapping it as you can't prevent that type of damage.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I use Invisiframe. Had it on my current ride (Carbon) for years now, it’s a bit of a faff to install but has worked well at shrugging off scrapes etc. Worth the effort as keeps the bike looking nice and if you sell bikes after a few years Could help with the resale.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've tried Frameskin / Invisiframe / AMS and the one I'm using now is SUP stand up paddle board tape.

It's clear, has a honeycomb texture like the AMS (broader so not the same), covers more, for less. You just have to cut it.

Find it on eBay

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I put invisiframe on the no warranty TRc and will also put it on future bikes. It isn't cheap but does look a factory as it will get. You take you time and do it a warmish day and it isn't that hard. Start on the top tube or seat tube and take your time. Has to help and you are onyl going to do it once.

The problem I see with the frameskins is that they aren't good for impact hits which is the one you have to think about. A decent hit on a down tube from rock is the one I'm thinking about.

I also got the custom made cytoe guard from MTBR whcih sits under the downtube. It isn't noisy and doesn't look too ghetto considering what it is.

After a park wark with Mrs around a soccer field, I found a kids shin pad lying around. These are foam on the inside and hard plastic on the outside and pretty small - mostly downtube size, well. I have a what-if shed experiment later on and trim it up just to see.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've used Invisiframe on a few frames too. As others have said, it won't help with impacts, but does help prevent scratches that would otherwise cut through the outer gel-coat/resin of the carbon and potentially lead to stress fractures over time. The kits aren't cheap (and postage may be cost prohibitive at the moment too), but the coverage is excellent.

I'm pretty sure there's a local mob that does the cut-to-shape kits as well, but I can never remember their name. Maybe someone else knows?

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
Yep I put FrameSkin kit on my carbon bike when new - not cheap and I found it took ages (did it over two nights) and there were still a few dodgy spots around linkage/BB where there’s lots of small curves etc so was pretty frustrating, but overall I’m glad I did it. Its been nearly 3yrs now and some edges are lifting a little and I’ve scratched through it in a couple of spots but good to know if I sell bike I can take it off and it’s will mostly look like new.

Would I do it again on next bike? Yes I think so (though immediately after finishing it the first time I may have said no!).

Oh do it before the frame is built up if you can and definitely before you ride it as cleanliness is your friend!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have never used it myself, but I can show you a good example of what happens to bikes without it haha
Now that its clean!

Probably would do it if I get something a little more exotic. At the very least in the high wear areas of the rear triangle and downtube.
This bike has done just on 2000km in a couple of years.

Attachments

Minlak

custom titis
Price is similar to what frame skin charge for their kits.
The question is do you have the patience to do a full kit properly? They look shit if misapplied
I have the patience to do half of it - realise it all looks shithouse and rip it all off and say fuck it. If it doesn’t catch fire first.
Would you certainly pay some one to do it If it was an option here

Minlak

custom titis
I have never used it myself, but I can show you a good example of what happens to bikes without it haha
Now that its clean!

Probably would do it if I get something a little more exotic. At the very least in the high wear areas of the rear triangle and downtube.
This bike has done just on 2000km in a couple of years.
I could just do the old Raceday motorcycle trick and throw it off the back of the Ute and call it stolen or a strap broke if it gets too scuffed :)

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I have the patience to do half of it - realise it all looks shithouse and rip it all off and say fuck it. If it doesn’t catch fire first.
Would you certainly pay some one to do it If it was an option here
I have built my own house. I just re-roofed my garage. I diagnosed & fixed an intermittent misfire in my car.

I wouldn't attempt to apply frame protection myself.