Frame protection debate

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I just buy a square metre or so of the vinyl skin stuff cheap on eBay. Cut to shape... Something like 20 or 30 bucks I think.

I do under the down tube, top of the top tube and back of seat tube. And chain stays. Keep the road rash off and will do pretty well against most oopsies...

Do it in summer when it’s easier to stretch it.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
I just buy a square metre or so of the vinyl skin stuff cheap on eBay. Cut to shape... Something like 20 or 30 bucks I think.

I do under each rib, top of the shoulder and back of the shoulder. And love handles. Keep the stromlo rash off and will do pretty well against most class 1 bingles...

Don't do it in summer when it’s easier to.....just don't do it.
Follow this mans advice

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I couldn’t wait to ride my Fuel EX when I picked it up from the shop, and the only frame protection stuff I could find locally was the Altrex paint protection from Supercheap Auto. It was about $60 for a big piece that did two bikes with some left over. Some skill required and a fair bit of patience but I did it anyway. It’s worked well, a bit of lifting on edges in some spots, those happened pretty quickly and haven’t gotten any worse since the first few weeks. I’d use it again, but would apply to a bare frame prior to assembly.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I couldn’t wait to ride my Fuel EX when I picked it up from the shop, and the only frame protection stuff I could find locally was the Altrex paint protection from Supercheap Auto. It was about $60 for a big piece that did two bikes with some left over. Some skill required and a fair bit of patience but I did it anyway. It’s worked well, a bit of lifting on edges in some spots, those happened pretty quickly and haven’t gotten any worse since the first few weeks. I’d use it again, but would apply to a bare frame prior to assembly.
I used this stuff last, it's also known as skinz. It's fairly thick and durable but it would be murder wrapping the whole frame in it.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Same here RE Invisiframe. I've used pretty much all of them out there and Invisiframe are the best in my opinion. Firstly their coverage is awesome, they even have parts for the inside of the chainstays etc. Secondly their price and delivery times. They are cheaper than pretty much everyone else and even though it comes from the UK their delivery has ALWAYS been faster than the local companies.

Personally I would go this way instead of a DIY frame skin. You are spending some serious coin on a new bike, you want it protected and to look PIMP AF!!!! When the bike gets dirty you will see the edges of the frameskin which will show up any half arsed DIY jobs. When you wash it, it will look good again but the bike won't always be clean.

Vote 1 for a proper frameskin!!
Ditto on the recommendation for Invisiframe. Have done 2 frames with it and one prior to that with Frameskin. The coverage is better with Invisiframe and it’s a superior quality vinyl, less prone to lifting at the edges.

If you spend $1000’s buying a new frame, keep your bikes for a while or are precious about your ride, frame protection is worthwhile IMO. Sure, it doesn’t offer much in the way of crash protection, but you don’t have to worry about cable rub, foliage scuffs and small stone chips when riding.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
For those who don't want to spend $100-$200 for frame protection, I can highly recommend this tape from aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000855940616.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d56RIH1

For around $5 delivered you can get 100 cm x 15 cm.
It's advertised as being 0.4mm thick, but is probably only 0.3mm thick. So not as thick as 'Frameskin' or other brands, but still does an excellent job. For this price it becomes very reasonable to throw some protection on any bike.

I find that this stuff makes the bike much easier to clean as it seems that dirt, mud, grime, etc.. has a hard time sticking to the plastic. It also still protects from scratches and general wear and tear. I think it also does an excellent job of protecting your paint. I've noticed more and more people in the last 1-2 years complaining about their paint chipping, flaking, etc.. on new bikes.

For a few bucks more you can also make an excellent down tube protector out of Kydex as shown in this video.
Kydex:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33015151472.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dxx2SzV

Minlak

custom titis
Alright thank you all for your input here is the decision -
I don't think I have the motility skills to fit a full frame skin / guard correctly or more so to a level I would accept so
  1. Have some car protection film here I have used on other bikes - This will be cut and fitted in a couple of key places
  2. I bought the AMS Honeycomb kit to place on the down tube and a couple of strategic locations - I have used this on other bikes and not been disappointed.

MacMan

Squid
I used this stuff last, it's also known as skinz. It's fairly thick and durable but it would be murder wrapping the whole frame in it.
I did the same, mainly because nobody makes a kit for the XXL Herman Munster size. One company said XL would be close enough, but the tubes are all longer so I couldn't bring myself to pay full ticket for a kit that doesn't cover everything.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Anyone tried this?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
You are all such pussies.
I love scratching my bike frames and my cars.
I even bought a really nice cheap SC frame that was dented and scratched that no one wanted .
Obviously it wasnt structural cos I have ridden it a million miles.

teK--

Eats Squid
Same here RE Invisiframe. I've used pretty much all of them out there and Invisiframe are the best in my opinion. Firstly their coverage is awesome, they even have parts for the inside of the chainstays etc. Secondly their price and delivery times. They are cheaper than pretty much everyone else and even though it comes from the UK their delivery has ALWAYS been faster than the local companies.

Personally I would go this way instead of a DIY frame skin. You are spending some serious coin on a new bike, you want it protected and to look PIMP AF!!!! When the bike gets dirty you will see the edges of the frameskin which will show up any half arsed DIY jobs. When you wash it, it will look good again but the bike won't always be clean.

Vote 1 for a proper frameskin!!
Have used frameskin and invisiframe and agree the latter is much better value. I googled discount code and found one that gave an extra 15% off or thereabouts.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
+1 for Invisiframe. The fork skins are worth getting too. Had them on for almost two years and they've done a great job.
With the amount I stack, the bike would look rough o_O

Tonne of coverage, breeze to install and the edges don't peel easily.

For the price difference of DIY vs Invisiframe, personally paying the extra for reassurance that its all a clean cut, with more coverage, won't peel or go yellow over time and is a good quality product is worth it. Plus factoring time saved from not having to do extra research, cutting it and some trial and error as it'd be my first time.

There definitely have been very good DIY jobs, but I likely would've done a subpar job and have issues down the track.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
If I showed you a photo everyone would freak EEWWWWW its dangerous but its only the rear triangle , not carbon and its obviously fine.
I have thrashed it down limestone tracks in the Northern Hemisphere for 1500m vertical , been to Rotorua and Derby twice.
It may break one day , another dually that looked fine broke both sides of the rear triangle next to the weld landing a jump properly , it just went whoomp, nothing happened except I walked back.
Just saying you cant make an omelette without breaking the eggs and unless you sell it to someone else or are OCD its just a bike not fine art?