How to cut this?

teK--

Eats Squid
For those who are handy with the tools (and fuckwits who can tell me how not to do this);

How would you suggest I cut these two pieces down in length? I.e. they are both 10mm long I want to cut them down so I have 1x 5mm long piece of each type, so the cutting blade width or scrap doesn't matter.

One is about 12mm diameter and the other about 28mm.

Materials are aluminium and Delrin.

I have hacksaws, mitre box, steerer tube cutting guide, vice, dremel, angle grinder at my disposal plus some other bits and pieces.

Cheers.

Attachments

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

With hand tools find a bolt that fits in the bore with or without a sleeve, tighten up a nut and hold the whole shebang on the bolt in a vice and cut with a fine tooth saw. Clean up on emery on a piece of glass. Or ask someone with a lathe.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
If it was me I'd clamp it in the mitre box and use the hacksaw to cut it a bee's dick too big, then put some wet and dry on a flat surface to take off the last bit.
Or listen to DC^

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
For the bigger one the steerer tube cutting guide could work, depending if its clamp design will work with such a short tube.

For the smaller one, scribe a guide mark all the way around, slip the tube over something you don't mind cutting into to prevent crushing the tube, and clamp it in the end of a bench vice as square as you can get it, with the guide mark the blade thickness + a poofteenth more clear, and use the ends of the vice jaws as your cutting guide.

Use a finer blade for a cleaner cut; the Delrin being plastic won't need a super aggro blade anyway, the aluminium will take a bit longer but will burr less.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Pm sent. I can turn these down in the lathe pretty quickly.

The split ally piece will require a mandrel, that will take all of 10 minutes to make.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The fundamental issue is how accurate do the pieces need to be? 5mm or 5.00mm makes a world of difference. Or put another way, is the flatness of the edges important or is it the external/internal diameter that's important in your application?

-

teK--

Eats Squid
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Although you might want to see angle grinder pics and a photo of me in ER, Link has graciously offered to do it for me in his workshop :D.

I have some spare pieces which I am willing to sarifice, so maybe I will at a later stage have an DIY attempt anyway and report back for shits and giggles!

The fundamental issue is how accurate do the pieces need to be? 5mm or 5.00mm makes a world of difference. Or put another way, is the flatness of the edges important or is it the external/internal diameter that's important in your application?

-
Good question. 5.0mm would be fine. internal and external diameter won't be changing; just the length of the pieces which do need to be relatively flat and square (they are travel reduction spacers in a fork).

teK--

Eats Squid
Mark said he has some downtime so if anyone else has any special projects in mind, his time is now available for hire :p:p

I'll post up some pics of the parts once they are fitted.