Shock Replacement - Turner 5 Spot

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Ok, I need schooling in modern shock technology. The Turner arrived with a DNM coil shock, and it's doing everything that a $160 shock does, i.e. ⅘ of fuck all.

So with a bit of Google fondling, I've found the FOX RP23 is what's most commonly found on them, but the 2013 5 Spots were delivered with a Fox CTD. I've also seen a few reviews with a RS shock (Monarch, I think).

Further to this, they had a 'low' tune. I understand the difference, but in real terms how much difference will it make? What's the modern equivalent?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hmmm, shock no go? New bike time. Sell this one on line for 3x what it cost you then buy new.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
For road riding, does the lockout work? Isn't that all you need this bike for, riding to Adelaide?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What are you looking for out of the bike? The Turner 5 spot has a really high level of anti-squat, has a very progressive leverage curve, and the force curve is really steep early in the travel. See http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2011/02/turner-5-spot-2011.html?m=1

The Rp23, Dps, Monarch etc etc are digressive shocks - ie they tend to provide a lot of low speed damping but not much high speed. This is fine for more XC style riding but at the expense of traction in chunkier terrain. The Rp23 with boost valve would be the best of these shocks.

A better option would be something like a CCDB inline air or even better a coil. A DVO Topaz would be good too but give less tuning options.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Whack a monarch+ in there and fill it with rubber bands.
Easiest shock to set up, and warranty support is good.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
came w rp23, didn’t like - tried monarch rt3, tiny bit better, size is 190x51
prob still have the orig fox kickin around somewhere

moorey

call me Mia
came w rp23, didn’t like - tried monarch rt3, tiny bit better, size is 190x51
prob still have the orig fox kickin around somewhere
RP23 is a fairly basic shock, granted.....but ANYTHING is better than a DMN. Period. Yes, I’ve had a couple over the years. Given your disdain for decent geometry, usable gears and practical tyres, I can only assume you wanted a bike that ride terribly, and the DNM ticked that box.
@Cardy George I have a couple of 190x51’s you’re welcome to try out for comparison. Sold the CCDBA, but have a float x and a solid old DHX5 air.

Cardy George

RP23 is a fairly basic shock, granted.....but ANYTHING is better than a DMN. Period. Yes, I’ve had a couple over the years. Given your disdain for decent geometry, usable gears and practical tyres, I can only assume you wanted a bike that ride terribly, and the DNM ticked that box.
@Cardy George I have a couple of 190x51’s you’re welcome to try out for comparison. Sold the CCDBA, but have a float x and a solid old DHX5 air.
That would be fantastic. Then I can work out what its supposed to feel like and work from there.

It's a massive testament up the DW design that even without form of support from the dampening there's still no pedal bob.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've run a DHX air on my Burner and it was very good.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Yep. Cheers.

I'm hoping to stay away from the piggy back designs, i'd like to use the bottle cage

Sadly this isn't going to see a lot of gnarlyness, I just need something that'll stand up to an occasional trip to the hills
I confess I was flabbergasted when Dan said the DNM was the best shock he’d ever had in there.
What size, @Cardy George?
Oh, it's pluuuush. Takes out every tiny little bump. Completely against what this bike was ever designed for

They are a super solid old shock. Punch well above their weight.
So it'll suit the age of the bike too. Even better

moorey

call me Mia
That would be fantastic. Then I can work out what its supposed to feel like and work from there.

It's a massive testament up the DW design that even without form of support from the dampening there's still no pedal bob.
Too easy. As I say, neither are modern Uber shocks, but happy to post them to you. The float x’s get a bad wrap, but on an Orange, they perform better than a custom tuned CCDBA. A turner isn’t an orange though.
Message your addy and I’ll post them both off.

edit. Both are piggy back. Just saw last comment.

Cardy George

Too easy. As I say, neither are modern Uber shocks, but happy to post them to you. The float x’s get a bad wrap, but on an Orange, they perform better than a custom tuned CCDBA. A turner isn’t an orange though.
Message your addy and I’ll post them both off.

edit. Both are piggy back. Just saw last comment.
It's all good. Anything is better at the moment :rolleyes: