Newly Released Bikes General

Minlak

custom titis
Seems to the PB crew's major gripe at the moment, which has me a little worried as my new bike has XTs
The only thing they complain about is an apparent wandering bite point?? - I have XT on all my bikes now (4) and can't say I have noticed anything - Also they are paid to be picky - Just cause they mention it - does it make it a real issue?

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Actofive P-TRAIN CNC prototype just passed the epically German EFBE Tri-Test: three modules, fatigue, maximum load and overload with a vertical overload value of 900kg.

(I have literally no idea what any of this means, but it sounds impressive)

In the interim here's a photo of the bike from a slightly different angle:

View attachment 369950
I want this in the red anno. So awesome

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
The only thing they complain about is an apparent wandering bite point?? - I have XT on all my bikes now (4) and can't say I have noticed anything - Also they are paid to be picky - Just cause they mention it - does it make it a real issue?
It’s not apparent. I also have shimano on all my bikes (x4) and they all have experienced the wandering bite point

It shouldn’t be happening, even more so on test bikes.

Minlak

custom titis
It’s not apparent. I also have shimano on all my bikes (x4) and they all have experienced the wandering bite point

It shouldn’t be happening, even more so on test bikes.
Maybe I am just too busy trying not to die from a heart attack and don't actually notice it?? I have 8120's all round if that makes a difference?

I honestly never noticed - Maybe I am just not good enough? (Not being silly is this one of those audiophile things? You know where the person listening to a stereo system goes oh I hate how this is one octave about c on the register)

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Maybe I am just too busy trying not to die from a heart attack and don't actually notice it?? I have 8120's all round if that makes a difference?

I honestly never noticed - Maybe I am just not good enough? (Not being silly is this one of those audiophile things? You know where the person listening to a stereo system goes oh I hate how this is one octave about c on the register)
I’d say you’d notice it if you had an issue with your brakes. The lever goes to the bar followed by an “OH SHIT” moment before you panic squeeze to get the thing to bite. I have had it on zee, xt, xtr, saint and slx. The only one that still works perfect is my 2002 m755 that doesn’t have servowave.

Minlak

custom titis
I’d say you’d notice it if you had an issue with your brakes. The lever goes to the bar followed by an “OH SHIT” moment before you panic squeeze to get the thing to bite. I have had it on zee, xt, xtr, saint and slx. The only one that still works perfect is my 2002 m755 that doesn’t have servowave.
In that case have never had it.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
In that case have never had it.
I've never had it that bad. Mine changed bite points relative to temperature, but a comprehensive bleed fixed that. I just changed to m8100 levers and royally fucked up the bleed. The lever would go half way to the bar in the morning, but be solid in the afternoon. Re-bled them and now they're within a quarter turn on the adjuster from morning to night

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Oh its a real issue but it's not consistent and I'm pretty sure it's related to micro bubbles in the master cylinder.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I'm planning on bleeding them in the near future so we will see what result this produces.
Don’t forget the sacrificial goat and you need to poke your tongue out slightly left otherwise it’ll all go to shit and reverse the earths rotation.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Mine changed bite points relative to temperature
There was a bloke at the Simpson race in 2014 who turned up with a set of XTR brakes that worked 100% in Brisbane a week earlier, arrived at Purni Bore with nothing. Both levers to the bar, the sun beating down on his master cylinders on the back of his vehicle for 7 days was probably the culprit.

He was stunned... months of prep and now no brakes :)

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
New 29ers Spectral, looks pretty good

64 degree head angle ,Fox 36 @ 160 mm travel and its their trail bike , things are getting a little confusing

Minlak

custom titis
Its the 'down-country' bike that's got me laughing. The XC bike with a little bit slacker geo and 120mm fork for those longer days in the saddle ;)
I was surprised to find the term "Down Country" originating from early 2018

"So, what exactly is a down-country bike?

It's not a downhill bike with a full-length seat tube that some goober has bolted a 100mm stem onto, but rather a bike that approaches riding from the opposing point of view. They're short-travel, quick handling rigs with a large majority of their DNA coming from the cross-country family but with a clever component spec that adds to their descending and technical abilities without also adding too much weight. A doped-up cross-country bike? Sure. The idea is to create a package that, while sporting a minimal amount of travel, quick handling, and maybe even race-day intentions, is still far more capable than what the classic view of cross-country-ing would have anyone guessing."

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Re: the Shimano moving lever point, a dude on PB has this theory...seems sound:

@BenPea: Shimano doesn't anodize the inner bore of the master cylinder after machining it. This, coupled with the off-center push of the ServoWave link, leads to the piston ovalizing it, or in some extreme cases, scoring deep gouges there. The seals are unable to do their job, fluid goes past them, and bingo, your lever goes to the bar.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Don’t forget the sacrificial goat and you need to poke your tongue out slightly left otherwise it’ll all go to shit and reverse the earths rotation.
Yeah but if you flush the toilet at the same time the centrifugal forces counter the rotational reverse. You have to do it simultaneously though otherwise it's alfoil in the microwave time. It's the only way.