Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So wrong it's hardly even worth responding but just in case other people don't know you're wrong I'll spell it out.
Batteries have a guarantee of ten years and that's for storing around 90% of original capacity. They will still hold a charge and be usable long after that.
Solar panels come with a 25 year guarantee
Waste is easily recycled.
You are joking me.

Back to Google matey. You are cheap panel installers dream.

Your guarantee on solar panels is a limited warranty, You get a manufacturer warranty for defects for 5-10, same with the inverter, this also outlines the acceptable deterioration of the panels over that 10 years, from 10 to 25yrs it is an acceptable deterioration curve which is basically worthless.

Here's the first 2 that Google spat out.

ozzybmx

Indeed. Case in point, my Gen 1 Leaf has a 24kWh battery. At 50% capacity it's the same size as a Tesla Powerwall. When the car dies or I replace the battery the original won't be getting recycled, it will be going under my house.
Doesnt Nissan offer a new battery replacement for a Leaf at the cost of 10k.
The battery being replaced needs to be working and have 8 bar health ?
Alternatively I believe its 30k for batteries only.

ozzybmx

You've just put up something from the marketing dept. of one solar installer dissing other solar installers.
I dont think SolarQuotes installs solar... the owner wrote the book 'The good solar guide', ex CSIRO Electrical engineer, clever bloke and also a MTBer.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Yes, but as you noted has to be eight bars, mine is still on ten. Also there are now alternatives using after market batteries or newer batteries from wrecks.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
If we're comparing nukes of ocean going vessels to other ship power plants can you give me the number of sails that have exploded or tell me about the problems disposing of old sails.
Nuclear subs have enough power to stay underwater indefinitely because they can produce their own oxygen through electrolysis. I'm yet to see this occur on a sail boat. I'm also waiting for the world's first sail powered aircraft carrier and icebreaker.

I've never said that nuclear will be the cheapest source of electricity, but it's the cheapest zero carbon on demand source that's indefinitely scalable. Ultimately all renewable sources are constrained by their natural fuel source, even hydro as Tasmania discovered a few years ago.

I believe that relying on the roll out of large scale gen4 high pressure water reactors has failed. We are better off switching to smale scale modular nuclear technology that can be scaled up. It's a technically feasible solution that we can implement now, unlike renewable combined with storage solutions.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
No. 8 bars or less, you can keep driving it until it's very low if you don't need the range to do your usual driving. Cadogan the bogan strikes again!

It's likely that a lot of these batteries will end up attached to people's houses. Nissan and other companies who get returned batteries aren't doing it to make new batteries out of the old cells, there are some rapidly growing startups buying up old batteries from manufacturers and repurposing them for home power. Local storage using batteries on their second life makes a lot of sense.

On solar, it is true that there is some shit on the market, it is true that solar panels are difficult right now to recycle. But please do your homework about manufacturing, noting that this number is from a manufacturer and in reality would be lower if the degradation of panels is not best case scenario or the buyer bought shit ones, source is LG Energy:

A 6.6kw solar system will produce around 10,600 kwh a year which will save around 10.6 tonnes of CO2 emissions per year. Taking into account the two years to pay off the embedded energy in the panel, after 25 years a 6.6kw system will have a net saving of around 243 tonnes of CO2

Decentralising power as much as possible, and increasing storage is a far better thing to do than going down the road of nuclear and continuing to burn fossil fuels. I mainly want a battery because governments aren't forcing the power companies to pay me adequately for the solar I don't use. Despite this, I still have provided a net saving of 20 tonnes CO2 in 5 years. Should be about 52 tonnes by the time 10 years rolls around. My systme cost me double 5 years ago what the same one costs now.

But try convincing someone that they should have a $5-10k battery or solar when there's still so much gas in the ground and they can have a bigger tv, a new mountain bike, a trip to Tassie to ride it. Whinging about 10 year battery or not getting 25 year solar lifespan but spending more than the cost of those systems on your hobby yearly, belching out CO2 to drive somewhere cool to ride? Good one. Please nobody take that personally, but it is a harsh reality we all need to think about instead of ranting about what we can't do. Do I get 5 new $5000 bikes and a bunch of trips to Tassie over 10 years because that's the amount of CO2 in bikes and trips (very rough estimate) saved by having solar? No I don't.

This argument will always come back to government's role, we can bang on about tech saving us but unelss the laws are in place to force people to do something rather than give them the easy way out we're all fucked.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I don't know what everyone is arguing about. Our illustrious leaders are on the job, and have fixed it. Time for another holiday.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

This argument will always come back to government's role, we can bang on about tech saving us but unelss the laws are in place to force people to do something rather than give them the easy way out we're all fucked.
100%

Do I get 5 new $5000 bikes and a bunch of trips to Tassie over 10 years because that's the amount of CO2 in bikes and trips (very rough estimate) saved by having solar? No I don't.
Were only here for a short time, I choose new bikes and Tassie trips.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Decentralising power as much as possible, and increasing storage is a far better thing to do than going down the road of nuclear and continuing to burn fossil fuels.
Not really.

We need to implement solutions to meet requirements spelt out by CC science. If only nuclear can deliver the outcome, we need to pursue it.

P.S. Individual residential PV & battery solutions are horribly inconsistent & poorly managed - installations are driven through a capitalist model (cheapest(er) solution, which one will make me the most money?). IMO, household roofs should be used to house solar panels, but the systems downstream should be at least neighbourhood centralised using best-of-breed components, maintained by subject matter experts.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Not really.

We need to implement solutions to meet requirements spelt out by CC science. If only nuclear can deliver the outcome, we need to pursue it.

P.S. Individual residential PV & battery solutions are horribly inconsistent & poorly managed - installations are driven through a capitalist model (cheapest(er) solution, which one will make me the most money?). IMO, household roofs should be used to house solar panels, but the systems downstream should be at least neighbourhood centralised using best-of-breed components, maintained by subject matter experts.
I knew it! You're one of them communists ain't ya?

(Also, I agree - but good luck getting your average Aussie to agree to it...)

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Not really.

Its what happens when conservative govts pandering to ff lobby show no leadership.
You get a hodge podge.
Locally we have Indigo Power with hubs run by experts .