Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Gulfstream GIV SP uses 415 gallons/hour or 1571 litres x 22.3 hours flown = 35033.3 litres of fuel x0.8 kg/litre x 2.3 kg CO2/kg = 64.461272 tonnes not the 166 claimed. Still not cool but Fox are really shit at math.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Makes me wonder what's going to happen to all these old solar panels and batteries, it's the same as these cockheads that stockpile tyres for recycling, take government grant money and suddenly go belly up.

Tyres get harmlessly dumped in the forest.

Or sometimes turned into road.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Makes me wonder what's going to happen to all these old solar panels and batteries, it's the same as these cockheads that stockpile tyres for recycling, take government grant money and suddenly go belly up.
This question keeps getting asked by deniers and it gets answered every time. These things aren't hard to recycle and it gets easier with volume.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
These things aren't hard to recycle and it gets easier with volume.
Also an argument to move away from individual systems and towards large scale commercial though. We can't even recycle normal recyclable plastic at a domestic level, solar panels and stuff would likely follow suite and end up n landfill like everything else.

Flow-Rider

Burner
This question keeps getting asked by deniers and it gets answered every time. These things aren't hard to recycle and it gets easier with volume.
More so easier to recycle is paper, plastic bottles and glass but look at the outcome when the public private sector gets involved.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Are we forgetting something about solar panels? Not too many years ago an Australian scientist came up with a way to make solar panels out of cardboard (I think it was) in a pizza oven. The idea was born out of an interest in helping the developing world skip shit electricity and go straight to solar on mass. She won an award...obviously Australia doesn't science well so the knowledge was moved off shore.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
More so easier to recycle is paper, plastic bottles and glass but look at the outcome when the public sector gets involved.
I think you mean private sector. The government was forced out of running recycling operations for those items because there was the chance of making profits.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Tyres get harmlessly dumped in the forest.

Or sometimes turned into road.
Years ago a family of pricks, collected all the tyres in Brisbane and dumped them across 10 or so acres of land, took a fee for doing so and told the government they were using them for landfill, mysteriously they caught on fire and much like coal you can't put them out. Then you have this other prick trying to do the same. As much as people want to believe the dream, recycling isn't cheap and most tyres end up in land fill.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-28/tyre-fire-rocklea-tyremil-tony-di-carlo/8658416

Last edited:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
More so easier to recycle is paper, plastic bottles and glass but look at the outcome when the public private sector gets involved.
Easier, yes but they don't have much value. Any profit comes from volume. The metals in panels/batteries are much more valuable and will only become more so.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Easier, yes but they don't have much value. Any profit comes from volume. The metals in panels/batteries are much more valuable and will only become more so.
It's a problem we pass onto another country to keep our hands clean, just like the plastic bottles.
  • only 2 per cent of Australia's annual 3,300 tonnes of lithium-ion battery waste is recycled
  • this waste is growing by 20 per cent per year and could exceed 100,000 tonnes by 2036
  • if recycled, 95 per cent of components can be turned into new batteries or used in other industries
  • by comparison, of the 150,000 tonnes of lead-acid batteries sold in 2010, 98 per cent were recycled, and the majority of Australia's battery waste is shipped overseas, and the waste that remains left in landfill, leading to a potential fires and environmental contamination.

https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/EF/Areas/Grids-and-storage/Energy-storage/Battery-recycling