COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Pfizer #1 did nothing at all, Pfizer #2, within 1 day, had me down with cold like symptoms and sore throat for nearly 3 months. Same shit that the flu jab does to me but on a longer timeframe. I ended up at the Doc three times for tests and symptom analysis... yeah, vaccine, err... nothing.

I've had no boosters and probably won't bother, not against them but the virus weakening Omicron strain vs another bout of vax illness is not worth it for me at this time.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I've had no boosters and probably won't bother, not against them but the virus weakening Omicron strain vs another bout of vax illness is not worth it for me at this time.
Have a read of this from the FT article I got the graph on the previous page from:

The problem is compounded by the fact that of the 31 per cent of elderly Hong Kongers who have had at least one dose of a vaccine, more than two-thirds have had Sinovac, the Chinese-made vaccine. One or two doses of that vaccine offers negligible protection against Omicron. The remainder have had the more effective BioNTech vaccine which is distributed by China’s Fosun Pharma. Since Omicron began, every Covid case has been between 20 and 50 times more deadly in Hong Kong than in peer countries.

Five per cent of cases in Hong Kong have resulted in death, compared with 0.3 per cent in South Korea, 0.2 per cent in Japan, and 0.1 per cent or less in Singapore, South Korea and New Zealand.

The varying degrees of pressure felt by their respective health systems highlights a widespread point of confusion over Omicron’s mildness, according to Prof Michael Baker, an adviser to the New Zealand ministry of health. “Omicron is milder than Delta, but it’s not mild by any stretch of the imagination,” said Baker. “It’s really less severe because of the vaccines and the boosters. Without them, we’d all still be in a whole lot of trouble.”

Don't discount the booster.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
unfortunately, a significant number of people (no evidence, just an assertion via personal experience of interactions with dumbcunts)
seem to have the critical thinking capability and attention span of a protozoa, so IMO, many CBF looking at the stats, just go with their echo chamber anecdotes.
"My anecdotal evidence is that people rely on anecdotes too much!" :p

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Ha, I used to do just that re haircuts (#2 though), but it's been vetoed by the partner. However given current circumstances it may be the only way currently ;)

And don't get me started on MAFS, it's pathetic, patronising yet incomprehensibly basic af shite.
I made the jump to a number 2 haircut at the beginning of the pandemic. Working from home, thinning hair, why bother paying $30 for a hair cut when I have a perfectly good set of clippers at home. I also grew a beard again because why not create the whole covid look?

danncam

Likes Dirt
Also lot of the people I know (higher % among young casuals) are all declaring they won't test again because they can't afford the time off and don't want to spend a week locked up. So compliance is really slipping on that front as well.
My daughter has had weeks of low level cough and sniffles from being back out in the real world working and partying. She only tested because the Grill'd work party required it. Wish she hadn't (sort of). The covid for her is clearly no worse than the non-covid infections at this stage (young, fit, boosted)

ozzybmx

Don't discount the booster.
Alright for people who didn't have the side effects to say.

3 months of mild muscle aches, a bit of additional fatigue, snot, phlegm and constant lump in my throat.

This subsided about November and been feeling pretty good since.

If I get corona and live to tell the tale, I'll weight up the virus vs booster after that.

Thanks you lot, I know you are only concerned for my health and wellbeing ;)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

3 months of mild muscle aches, a bit of additional fatigue, snot, phlegm and constant lump in my throat.

If I get corona and live to tell the tale, I'll weight up the virus vs booster after that.

I haven't got my booster yet and after my wife's reaction it did make me think twice.
I will probably still get it once I have some time free to be sick lol.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wife and I and kids all vaxxed up. Wife was sick after each vax and booster but I felt nothing but had a massive bruise for a couple of weeks.

Both kids (8 and 10) got it last Monday. Eldest woke up middle of night saying he couldn't feel his arm or leg and was boiling hot. A few hours later and he started dry wreaching but that was the worst of it. Next 2-3 days they just had high temps and very lethargic.

Wife and I had splitting headaches all Monday but tested negative. Friday I woke up with massive sore throat and tested positive, asthma started kicking in too. Was dizzy and tired and had to nap during the day. Saturday I even had 2 naps and still went to bed at normal time. Feeling lethargic but fine. Wife started getting a sore throat Sunday and super tired yesterday and today but I wouldn't say it was as bad as I was. She still tested negative today though.

I would hate to have felt what it was like not being vaxxed and hope it doesnt make my mild asthma any worse long term.

Cheka

Likes Bikes
It isn't people being conspiratorial, the old 5g tracker or genetically modifying our empathy something something (that's the 2 conspiracy versions I have heard), it is apathy. They have taken the vaccine and still got sick, so fuck it why bother? Add to it that a lot of people get unwell from the vaccine too, more than just the "felt shit over night" in some cases. A few people I know have had 1-2 weeks of severe side effects and one has died. So I can understand why there is a growing disinterest in ongoing vaccines.

The quarantine side of things is simply self preservation. Quarantine = no work = no pay. Not everyone can afford that situation, so fuck it. Skip the test, stay home if dying. Otherwise come to work and sniffle away on your coworkers. Bonus if they all get sick next week as you'll get even more shifts!
I hear this a lot too. "I had the vaccine and still got sick so why bother"
But it's like saying I crashed my bike whilst wearing a helmet and still got concussion so why bother?
Or I crashed my car whilst wearing a seatbelt and still got fractured ribs so why bother?
All these things are there to try and prevent more serious illness or injury, not completely prevent them from occurring.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

I had nothing with the first two (AZ) other than a sore arm and slight headache. The Moderna booster knocked my on my arse for a couple of days. And a few hangovers after that for a few weeks. Arm was crazy sore for two weeks but that is probably the operator rather than the vaccine. I will carefully think the 4th and definitely not get it at a chemist. Not dissing chemists but this one...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I hear this a lot too. "I had the vaccine and still got sick so why bother"
But it's like saying I crashed my bike whilst wearing a helmet and still got concussion so why bother?
Or I crashed my car whilst wearing a seatbelt and still got fractured ribs so why bother?
All these things are there to try and prevent more serious illness or injury, not completely prevent them from occurring.
I crashed my bike and got fractured ribs and sternum so clearly I am in front?

ozzybmx

I had nothing with the first two (AZ) other than a sore arm and slight headache. The Moderna booster knocked my on my arse for a couple of days. And a few hangovers after that for a few weeks. Arm was crazy sore for two weeks but that is probably the operator rather than the vaccine. I will carefully think the 4th and definitely not get it at a chemist. Not dissing chemists but this one...
Reckon my missus has had her 2nd booster only a couple of weeks ago, that's 4 jabs in her arm without even a whimper... which is a absolute miracle because if anyone is going to feel imaginary pain or have a whinge about nothing, its my missus :rolleyes:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Maybe it's because you called them a chemist, not a pharmacist.
Perhaps because it was a registered nurse at a chemist (the place and name of business) rather than someone with a degree in pharmacy? The pharmacist at my local chemist where I usually get a flu jab is quite proficient with the syringe thing.