The youtube and google video thread (MTB and non-MTB vids)

moorey

call me Mia
Fair. I like reading up on results and looking at the pictures but not something I really want to get into. I guess Enduro is probably where it’s at as represents your trail riders more. Ride up race down.
Jokes aside, I'd like to see all MTB represented properly. aside from gravel, it's just road riding for people who like terrible surfaces to ride on
Yes, GE and DH are my preferred disciplines, but not everyone's cuppa. That said, Aus has taken the last 4 EWS overalls, and the sport is growing exponentially, with events selling out in minutes and huge wait lists, but if you looked at the AC website, you wouldn't know the sport existed.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Fair. I like reading up on results and looking at the pictures but not something I really want to get into. I guess Enduro is probably where it’s at as represents your trail riders more. Ride up race down.
On the international scene, I'd suggest say modern XC courses are probably more representative of the average Aussie's riding/trails when compared to European (alpine) enduro racing.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Cycling Australia have been something to do with quite a lot of races here lately. XC, Enduro and the recent DownDuro, not sure about the DH as I've never been ;)

To what involvement, I'm not sure. Whether its turn up and plaster their CA banners around the joint, waving a handful of very bling CA medals or actually help physically and financially... not sure.

They definitely have a presence around most of the SA races.

moorey

call me Mia
Cycling Australia have been something to do with quite a lot of races here lately. XC, Enduro and the recent DownDuro, not sure about the DH as I've never been ;)

To what involvement, I'm not sure. Whether its turn up and plaster their CA banners around the joint, waving a handful of very bling CA medals or actually help physically and financially... not sure.

They definitely have a presence around most of the SA races.
You have to run pretty much everything through them, from social days to big races.
Clubs to all the work, CA put their name on it. At least, my experience in Vic.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You have to run pretty much everything through them, from social days to big races.
Clubs to all the work, CA put their name on it. At least, my experience in Vic.
Probably the same here, no doubt when the CA SA General manager turns up, he's not getting dirt on his hands.

Though we do see him at most events.

moorey

call me Mia
Probably the same here, no doubt when the CA SA General manager turns up, he's not getting dirt on his hands.

Though we do see him at most events.
You’re lucky. They’re required to provide commissaire unless it’s a small club do, and you have your own certified person, but everything else seems like just phoning it in. Unlike a road/track event where the place is flooded with CA representation and publicity.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I emailed both CEO and national MTB director last week expressing my frustration about lack of representation by AC. MTB director emailed back saying he’d like to discuss, and agreed to call me at 4.30 Thursday.
Waited. No call.
He emailed next day asking to try again. Agreed to call 4.30 Friday.
Waited. No call.
Expected an apology email or a call today.
Nothing.
He may well have good reason, but it feels indicative of the fucks given.
Keep at it Moorey, but personally, I would opt for emails, as you have an easily scannable record of what's been stated. you can always voice record a conversation, though you may find it a PITA to transcribe it. I would lay money on the probability that the AC director would record the conversation, so he can recall what platitudes & bullshit issued from his mouth at the time, just saying...

In my experience, phone calls are used by people in manager and director positions who only want to make the other person 'feel heard', not because they are going to take any useful action. YMMV

moorey

call me Mia
Keep at it Moorey, but personally, I would opt for emails, as you have an easily scannable record of what's been stated. you can always voice record a conversation, though you may find it a PITA to transcribe it. I would lay money on the probability that the AC director would record the conversation, so he can recall what platitudes & bullshit issued from his mouth at the time, just saying...

In my experience, phone calls are used by people in manager and director positions who only want to make the other person 'feel heard', not because they are going to take any useful action. YMMV
I feel similar, but refusing to talk to him also comes across as a dick move.

ForkinGreat

I feel similar, but refusing to talk to him also comes across as a dick move.
Fair enough, and keep a record of the conversation.
A Very useful thing to do is to make notes of the conversation, and then send an email to that AC director, confirming that you talked via phone, and what was discussed, with the talking points and main points of the conversation listed. If the director does not dispute this with you via return email within a certain timeframe, I understand that that your record/email recollection of the conversation can be taken as what transpired at the time. That way, they cannot bullshit you a la #ScrotuMo as to what was said during the conversation.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Fair enough, and keep a record of the conversation.
A Very useful thing to do is to make notes of the conversation, and then send an email to that AC director, confirming that you talked via phone, and what was discussed, with the talking points and main points of the conversation listed. If the director does not dispute this with you via return email within a certain timeframe, I understand that that your record/email recollection of the conversation can be taken as what transpired at the time. That way, they cannot bullshit you a la #ScrotuMo as to what was said during the conversation.
What's the etiquette around attaching some dick-pics too? Just an expected professional courtesy nowadays, or maybe too friendly/casual for a 'formal record' type e-mail?

moorey

call me Mia
I think you guys are overthinking this. It was simply an email from the point of view of someone who has been in the sport, racing, on club committees and junior development programs for the past 20+ years.
He won’t care what I think, and won’t take anything on board, he’s just giving a squeaky wheel some oil.

ForkinGreat

I think you guys are overthinking this. It was simply an email from the point of view of someone who has been in the sport, racing, on club committees and junior development programs for the past 20+ years.
He won’t care what I think, and won’t take anything on board, he’s just giving a squeaky wheel some oil.
IMO, you are not squeaking loud or long enough. Education/change takes time. No point complaining now, and then venting about the same issues for the next 5-10 years because AC CBF doing anything about your concerns. Just saying.

Email/ Talk to the sports minister's staff. It Will get back to AC.