Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I didn't want to call it too early, but I think I fixed the saggy Range Rover suspension a few weeks ago.

The front end was going down overnight but the back end was staying high. A shop I spoke to said it would need one or both air shocks replaced on the front which was going to cost $$$ so I did some research. Turns out you can pump the car up to maximum height, remove the fuse that controls the air suspension computer and then see what happens. If just one corner goes flat then you need to replace that air shock. But if both fronts or both rears go flat the most likely cause is the solenoid valve block. So I bought a new front solenoid valve block for $80 and replaced it myself and the suspension has been working perfectly for a couple of weeks now! Another home mekanic win!

thumbnail_IMG_7459.jpg

This is the video guide that explains the air suspension setup really well:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I had to Google that...can't say I'd feel safe in that with an apprentice in a jacked up Raptor tailgating me.
Probably not… They rock in many places in Europe where cities are small and roads are narrow. And in places like Corsica and Mallorca.

Still. I want one :)

There is a mob inthe UK souping them up with drive units and batteries from a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Time for some new tyres before the last two events of the year. Nankang AR1s going on. Skim the brakes and clean up the pads and give it a brake fluid flush. Had all other fluids done before the last sprint.

Should have been an hour or so all up but had my own pedal nut issue.

Obviously rounded off when the brakes were done last time about two years ago. Could have been me or several others... Anyway luckily there is heaps of room around the caliper carriers. NOT. Tried all sorts of things but couldn't find my fucked bolt removers. Suspiciously missing. Ended up with the vice grips which rounded it even more and that let me drive a 12mm long spanner on and got it loose. Didn't want to weld a nut on given the fuel and brake lines are really really close. New bolt time. New spanner time. And buy another set of nut and bolt extractors. Damn.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Finally was able to sort out my air in the fuel issues today with the tractor. One of the olives on the steel line returning to the secondary filter was worn out and loose. New lines got it sorted and there's no air at the 4th injector line.
IMG_20221024_123223986~2.jpg

But, give it some throttle and the dreaded white smoke is back. Slight miss in there as well but it revs up spectacularly...but smoky. And I've no real clue what else could be wrong. Unless there was a compression issue...

And then I start to hear it as the tractor warms up and at the sort of revs you use when running attachments via the PTO. A light, sharp, squeaky repetitive banging. Chasing it down with earmuffs on did the trick. The head gasket is blown at the back of the engine on number 4 and oil/diesel/whatever is squirting out....

Looks like I'm going back in...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Finally was able to sort out my air in the fuel issues today with the tractor. One of the olives on the steel line returning to the secondary filter was worn out and loose. New lines got it sorted and there's no air at the 4th injector line.
View attachment 393762
But, give it some throttle and the dreaded white smoke is back. Slight miss in there as well but it revs up spectacularly...but smoky. And I've no real clue what else could be wrong. Unless there was a compression issue...

And then I start to hear it as the tractor warms up and at the sort of revs you use when running attachments via the PTO. A light, sharp, squeaky repetitive banging. Chasing it down with earmuffs on did the trick. The head gasket is blown at the back of the engine on number 4 and oil/diesel/whatever is squirting out....

Looks like I'm going back in...
Pretty common for the precombustion chamber caps to leak on those, they're near impossible to seal sometimes.