Full Fat or HiLo: an eeb conundrum

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Just watched this review of the Trance. He compares it against the Orbea Rise towards the end.
I spent a bit of time reading around this today and these are starting to interest me more and more.
The Elite 2 is under 10k and has a solid spec, even without the live valve stuff.
The slightly lower level of travel probably suits my riding more too than the Levo SL

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
After todays ride on the Voima I can confidently say that the weight isn’t an issue. Getting the correct sized bike with decent geometry is the key. There are certain instances like popping off small trail features that are 100% more difficult due to the level of effort/input required to move the bike in and out of its travel but for me it is a complete non issue as that’s not why I ride. The only other time it's noticeable is picking the bike onto a rack.

Size/fit and geometry. 100% the most important considerations.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
After todays ride on the Voima I can confidently say that the weight isn’t an issue. Getting the correct sized bike with decent geometry is the key. There are certain instances like popping off small trail features that are 100% more difficult due to the level of effort/input required to move the bike in and out of its travel but for me it is a complete non issue as that’s not why I ride. The only other time it's noticeable is picking the bike onto a rack.

Size/fit and geometry. 100% the most important considerations.
Where is the PYR!?! I'm possibly the only other person on the forum that (nowadays) actually likes the look of the Voima and I want to see the new shiny thing (and what build spec you slathered all over it - I'm expecting maximum internet points on that front too... :p)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As strange as it might seem, definitely give thought to who you're likely to be riding with.

I had a ride today with full power ebike riding mates and the power and range deficit is real.
Yes they waited at key stages and kept the pace reasonable in other areas but I always knew I was putting in more effort and rinsing out more battery life on every uphill section.

If your friends are riding normal bikes, or you're riding on your own a lot, then SL bikes work fine.

Rorschach

I ride with a mix normally - one on a full fat Rail, one on an EX-e and one on a meat powered bike - so both an SL or full powered should be fine

Rorschach

Another one for the mix.
The new Cube Stereo Hybrid One55. Comes in 2 variants over here, although not out yet. Can get them at 99 Bikes (of all places) for 11k. Spec looks great for the price!
Either Fox Factory all round with XT or SRAM with a Lyrik Select+ and GX

kten

@Rorschach do yourself a favour and check out the Voima. I am honestly super impressed with it.

Or buy my Levo which will be for sale shortly :D

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another one for the mix.
The new Cube Stereo Hybrid One55. Comes in 2 variants over here, although not out yet. Can get them at 99 Bikes (of all places) for 11k. Spec looks great for the price!
Either Fox Factory all round with XT or SRAM with a Lyrik Select+ and GX

Almost the best of both worlds with the Cube - just over 20kg with the 500wh battery on top spec model.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Given that human powered single speed is a thing, why isn't it an e-bike thing too?

kten

10 speed is what you want, 11 is marginal, 12 is shit.
Whilst I agree that 12 gears is 2 too many saying it's shit is a stretch imo. I've had zero issues with 12 speed Shimano or SRAM, durability is on point and with a straight derailleur hanger what's not to like apart from the cost?

Rorschach

Had a sneaky idea.
The EXe 9.5 is on sale for 8k. The Trek dealer near work has one in matte black in my size.
I can swap out the wheels, cockpit and forks for the ones on my Prime and get a better dropper, lever, rear mech, shifters and brakes for about 1k, a Bomber CR is $500ish so for under 10k I’d have arguably the nicest looking frame and a killer spec. Thoughts?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Had a sneaky idea.
The EXe 9.5 is on sale for 8k. The Trek dealer near work has one in matte black in my size.
I can swap out the wheels, cockpit and forks for the ones on my Prime and get a better dropper, lever, rear mech, shifters and brakes for about 1k, a Bomber CR is $500ish so for under 10k I’d have arguably the nicest looking frame and a killer spec. Thoughts?
Second hand market is rubbish at the moment so anything good you can take off the prime is very worthwhile.