Newly Released Bikes General

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have a steel, 160mm front Cotic BFE Max and it doesn't get ridden. It's 14kg, the same weight or heavier than my FS bikes.

Yeah the Transition looks nice and has a bling name but needs to go on an expensive diet immediately or it will ride like a brick.

I know Tranny's published weight doesn't include pedals and takes in tubeless conversion.
This will be 15kg+ ready to ride.

Pricing, going on USA to AU typical pricing and current exchange rate will be around $4200-$4500 for complete bike with below average components, apart from dropper and fork.

Personally I can't see the point in what could conservatively be a $7000+ HT just to get the weight down in the 12's.

SO yeah, it's a Tranny, it's got sliding dropouts, it's nice but not for me.

Screenshot_20231103-124358~2.png

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a steel, 160mm front Cotic BFE Max and it doesn't get ridden. It's 14kg, the same weight or heavier than my FS bikes.

Yeah the Transition looks nice and has a bling name but needs to go on an expensive diet immediately or it will ride like a brick.

I know Tranny's published weight doesn't include pedals and takes in tubeless conversion.

Pricing, going on USA to AU typical pricing and current exchange rate will be around $4200-$4500 for complete bike with below average components, apart from dropper and fork.

Personally I can't see the point in what could conservatively be a $7000+ HT just to get the weight down in the 12's.

View attachment 404091
Have to agree. Steel hard tails, and steel generally, seem to be all the rage now. Nothing special about this bike. Just a marketing metaphor. I see on the Transition site there is a sale on nearly every bike. Definitely one for the Transition fan bois.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Is that because it doesn't have a motor?

ozzybmx

Is that because it doesn't have a motor?
I still ride normal bikes.

I've owned the Cotic since June 2022 and ridden it 2-3 times.

Before that I had (still have) a 27.5 Alu Nukeproof Scout with a 150mm fork which I rode while my Deviate was delayed, I didn't mind that bike as it was the first 27.5 I ever had, did 1200km on it according to Strava.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title

Particularly when a Norco Torrent S1 with Lyrik Ultimate, SLX/XT Drivetrain and TRP Trail Evo brakes is 4.5k

Last edited:

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt

View attachment 404091
How are you getting $7k? Frame is $800USD, so probably around $1800-2000AUD
Fork, brakes, wheels and drive train aren't coming to $5k unless you go super bling, and with a 3kg frame weight you should be able to get it to 12-13kg without doing anything too stupid.

It's Transition so it's not going mad value, but it doesn't seem very for off what other frames go for

ozzybmx

How are you getting $7k?
If you can get frame only here, good job.

$4200 to $4500 for full bike, with $2500 of upgrades.

Wheelset $1000
Cranks $400
Gears/chain $300
Cassette $300
Brakes $300
Bars $200

There's $2500 without the small parts like saddle, stem, headset, pedals, tyres, grips, rotors and BB.

Frame only, add a $1000 fork, $300 dropper, the above costed parts with all the small parts and you'll be nearly up on the $5k mark with parts, then add the frame cost... for a 12kg+ HT.

Yes, if you buy full build, you can flog off some of the bits if you take off before riding it but I have a box here full of used SX, NX, GX derailleurs, shifters, cassettes and SRAM brakes. They are worth bugger all used.

I did this exact thing with a full build Tranny Spur a couple of years back, no frame only available, just full Deore build entry level bike or nothing. The only bits worth keeping were the frame, shock, fork and dropper. Everything else got upgraded.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I still ride normal bikes.
I know just sharing the pile on away from Hambo/Bubu.

For what it's worth, the BFE Max I had was an absolute blast - Only reason I got rid of it was because @kten sent me another one of his discards.
Yes, it could get rough at times but I rode it at Mt Buller, Lake Mountain, Red Hill & Silvan without ever hating it.

I probably regret selling it but a more XC hardtail is more appropriate when I have a big(ish) bike

Jpez

Down on the left!
Have to agree. Steel hard tails, and steel generally, seem to be all the rage now. Nothing special about this bike. Just a marketing metaphor. I see on the Transition site there is a sale on nearly every bike. Definitely one for the Transition fan bois.
What do you mean “all the rage now”? Been the rage for years, decades really but hardcore hard tails have been a thing for a long time now.
Check the hardtail Threads on MTBR. pretty active over there. There’s a lot of peeps that will buy this bike. Not me.
But I do agree with others. It’s quite an unremarkable frame.

I don’t think anyone buying this is interested in getting it down to 12kg.

Rorschach

If you can get frame only here, good job.

$4200 to $4500 for full bike, with $2500 of upgrades.

Wheelset $1000
Cranks $400
Gears/chain $300
Cassette $300
Brakes $300
Bars $200

There's $2500 without the small parts like saddle, stem, headset, pedals, tyres, grips, rotors and BB.

Frame only, add a $1000 fork, $300 dropper, the above costed parts with all the small parts and you'll be nearly up on the $5k mark with parts, then add the frame cost... for a 12kg+ HT.

Yes, if you buy full build, you can flog off some of the bits if you take off before riding it but I have a box here full of used SX, NX, GX derailleurs, shifters, cassettes and SRAM brakes. They are worth bugger all used.

I did this exact thing with a full build Tranny Spur a couple of years back, no frame only available, just full Deore build entry level bike or nothing. The only bits worth keeping were the frame, shock, fork and dropper. Everything else got upgraded.
For direct(ish) comparison
An NX-build alloy Smuggler retails in the US at USD5399. The build kit is the same as far as I can see. The same bike here is $6499 rrp via Supersports. This gives a conversion of AUD1 to USD0.83
A USD2699 build of the TransAM will be approximately AUD3250 based on this.
A Norco Torrent S2 has a similar retail of AUD3400 rrp, and has a full Deore groupset, TRP Slate Evo brakes, better wheels. The downside is it comes with a RS Gold 35 RL where the Z2 is likely better, but everything else is a step-up from the Tranny

ozzybmx

For direct(ish) comparison
An NX-build alloy Smuggler retails in the US at USD5399. The build kit is the same as far as I can see. The same bike here is $6499 rrp via Supersports. This gives a conversion of AUD1 to USD0.83
A USD2699 build of the TransAM will be approximately AUD3250 based on this.
A Norco Torrent S2 has a similar retail of AUD3400 rrp, and has a full Deore groupset, TRP Slate Evo brakes, better wheels. The downside is it comes with a RS Gold 35 RL where the Z2 is likely better, but everything else is a step-up from the Tranny
Check a few more places, they are discounted in a few places now in the US, just like the Supersports price. It will be more than $3250.

@xero will have an approximate price for us.

Rorschach

Check a few more places, they are discounted in a few places now in the US, just like the Supersports price. It will be more than $3250.

@xero will have an approximate price for us.
Hmm, Supersports doesn't show it reduced, only the frame. Maybe as the build isn't in stock.
1698992807666.png

1698992835585.png

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What do you mean “all the rage now”?
It's probably a reflection of the riders I know. I agree with what your saying but a lot of the people I know seem to have just discovered steel. They have seen few vids by Jeff Lenosky talking up REEB steel bikes, etc. Watched the occasional vid about hard core hard tails and now they want one. Go for it, I say.

Jpez

Down on the left!
It's probably a reflection of the riders I know. I agree with what your saying but a lot of the people I know seem to have just discovered steel. They have seen few vids by Jeff Lenosky talking up REEB steel bikes, etc. Watched the occasional vid about hard core hard tails and now they want one. Go for it, I say.
Ah yeah I guess you’re right. Also a lot of steel fullys coming out lately too.