The QUICK question thread.....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
And now for my quick questions!

1. Do I need to re-bleed brakes if I'm moving up to a 2mm thick rotor?
  2. Also, will any post mount brake adapter fit SRAM brakes (Shimano, Magura etc)?
1: No. Just push the pistons all the way back in, then pump the lever to reset clearance. Worst case if they've been bled to the max on the 1.8, you may need to ctrack the bleed nippl;e and vent a small amount of fluid to allow the pistons to retract enough.

2: In theory yes, providing you're using the same rotor diameter (203mm adaptors will not work with 200mm, and vice versa). However, the bike industry wouldn't surprise me if different brake manufacturers design their calipers for different tilt angles off the fork & over the rotor..... So probably safer to use matching mounts.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
1: No. Just push the pistons all the way back in, then pump the lever to reset clearance. Worst case if they've been bled to the max on the 1.8, you may need to ctrack the bleed nippl;e and vent a small amount of fluid to allow the pistons to retract enough.

2: In theory yes, providing you're using the same rotor diameter (203mm adaptors will not work with 200mm, and vice versa). However, the bike industry wouldn't surprise me if different brake manufacturers design their calipers for different tilt angles off the fork & over the rotor..... So probably safer to use matching mounts.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a set of Shimano SLX brakes, 7100. I am looking to swap to my XT 4 pot, 8120.
Can I just swap the calipers and levers over?
Or is it new hoses for the XT's? Rear brake is internal.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I have a set of Shimano SLX brakes, 7100. I am looking to swap to my XT 4 pot, 8120.
Can I just swap the calipers and levers over?
Or is it new hoses for the XT's? Rear brake is internal.
Levers and hoses are identical (although SLX levers delete the stroke adjust screw), so just swap the calipers.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Levers and hoses are identical (although SLX levers delete the stroke adjust screw), so just swap the calipers.
The stroke adjust screw can be replaced with a Philips or Allen head M4 screw. The interface is identical to XT aside from the stroke adjust screw being a two pin head rather than Philips head.

Not that I care, I have never felt the need to use the stroke adjust, so SLX levers are awesome for a hack like me.

Hey @birddog69, are you selling the levers at all? My husband busted one recently :mad:

safreek

Hey peeps, anyone have one of these. Seems a pretty simple setup.
Do they work ok and for a reasonable amount of time
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! AU$91.83 30%OFF | Tmars Dropper Seatpost Height Adjustable 27.2MM Remote Control Manual Hand Mechanical MTB Bike 28.6 30.9 31.6mm Seat Post Tube

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, upside down suss is the future. Imagine a suspension design that uses gravity to stop dust and dirt fucking your seals and lowers :eek:

The forks I'm looking at are conventional.

I'm a huge USD fan! I've never owned any, but always wanted the USD 125mm shivers. If fox knew what was good for them they would launch those again!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The forks I'm looking at are conventional.

I'm a huge USD fan! I've never owned any, but always wanted the USD 125mm shivers. If fox knew what was good for them they would launch those again!
Unless buying a bike with conventional forks, any bike I build from now on will have USD forks, whether Intend or whoever.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
I read 10 and 11 SRAM pull ratio is the same and cassettes have same spacing... this means i can use an 11 and just lock out lowest gear (10 or 11 tooth) and roll with 10?
Have 10 speed brifters and a strict budget.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I read 10 and 11 SRAM pull ratio is the same and cassettes have same spacing... this means i can use an 11 and just lock out lowest gear (10 or 11 tooth) and roll with 10?
Have 10 speed brifters and a strict budget.
Yes and more no.... 10-sp, both road & MTB, plus road 11-sp. use a common pull ratio, however the sprocket spacing is closer on 11-sp, which means the shift stroke is also shorter. So you can use a "10-sp." derailleur with 11-sp. shifters and cassette or vice versa, but to get the correct incremental shift pull the shifter must match the cassette.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
...have 10 speed (road) SRAM shifter and 10 speed SRAM long cage derailleur. Just noticed 11 speed more cheaper than 10 speed for cassettes. Need SRAM for xd free hub.