stories of bike thefts? theft attempts?

bryce

Likes Dirt
when i was about 10 i had this shitty BMX given to me by some friends of the family. then the dude across the road (pretty sure) decided to pinch it out of our yard... anyway the cops were called and insurence money was given and i got a totally sweet new malvern star MTB!! only about $200 worth but i was cheerin!!

dromana7411

Likes Dirt
when i was about 4-5 i was at the tennis club with my mum, (she was playing) and i left my bike inbetween these 2 big pipes, that were part of the playground, and me being young i forgot about it, and we went home. when we got home we realised that we had left the bike there, and went back to get it, and it was gone, so we reported it to the police, and they went out and about and did there thing that they do, and 3 days later they arived at my door with the bike. they found it in the same spot that i left it tho... but i got my bike back and i was happy.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
I had my Norco Bigfoot flogged from the University of NSW. The fat bastard UNSW Security said that the uni has the highest rate of bike theft in all of Sydney (several bikes per week). My bike was stolen because the bike racks at UNSW are always full of crappy bikes and its difficult to properly secure your bike (not the least because they are inadequately designed and hold too many bikes). Also there is no survelliance in and around bike racks (which are heavily trafficked). A fella at a bike shop said a customer had lost his the key to his lock and returned with a hacksaw, no one bothered asking him what he was doing the whole time it took to cut through the lock. UNSW refuses to do anything about the rate of bike theft and instead blames riders - quote from fat bastard: "gee I wouldn't ride anything that expensive..." I wrote nasty emails and letters to senior UNSW staff without a satisfactory response (the Police line was equally useless).

Anyway, Bozo the bike thief decided to become a bike courier. I am a big hard rider who generally trashes and upgrades things, so my bike was rather unique. In the meantime, the thief had damaged my bike including the front brake. Bozo the bike thief was directed by the other couriers to Cheeky Monkey. Cheeky Monkey had sold me the bike, done the services and upgrades and recognised my bike straight away. I recovered my bike (+ some damage+ repair costs), Bozo was without his ill-gotten gains, police were happy on stolen bike off their books.

Between Bozo obtaining my bike and Bozo loosing my bike, I had negotiated with my wife to blow all our savings on my dream bike. So now I have two bikes the Bigfoot (commuter + night riding) and that dream Cannondale (XC race and riding).

lala

Cannon Fodder
I have been pissed off about this ever since it hapened. My dad was living in a flat and i was staying with him for the weekend. My bike at the time a Kona King Kikapu was locked up in the so called "secure" parking under the flats. After a day trip to the coast i returned to find my bike gone outraged i called the police as soon i got up to the flat. After about two weeks of searching we aplied for insurance but for some stupid reason the underground "secure" parking was not part of the home insurance and so they said i had no claim. not only did i loose my bike but i did not get insurance. Just a message to all the riders out there living in a flat. please take the time to cary it up the flights of stairs and keep it safe and sound next to your bed!!
lala

Adam 74

Likes Dirt
Insurance

After talking to an insurance rep on the phone I've found out you can insure a $10,000 bike for theft while you are anywhere in Australia or NZ for $140 a year. This is a small price to pay for the satisfaction of knowing that if the bike does get stolen you'll have it replaced. Both my bikes are insured and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Adam.....

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Which insurance co. is this? Also, does the annual cost vary according to the value of the bike?
cheers.

Adam 74

Likes Dirt
Insurance Company

It's through NRMA. It's just added to my home and contents. I'm not sure about the cost varying with the price of the bike but I guess it would.

Adam.......

HYOSHIMO

Straight up emo gangsta
ive seen a fight once at a skatepark with a bunch of wu tang kids (wiggers) where the start a fight- when the guy drops his bike to fight they rush him and one makes off with the bike- pretty smart for a bunch of fucktards....

but then they met a guy from cambelltown- i think thats where they created this method of bike theft, anyways the guy was not skinny guy and when wiggers at katoomba tried to do it to him he managed to take on 3 fuckers, keep his foot through the main triangle of his frame and beat the piss outta two of them- (they had to go to hospital)

And the fuckers tried to press charges -FUCKERS.

nothing ended up happening i dont think -but ill always remember that guy ( iwas like 12) - he was a bmx idol of mine...

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
I had a Giant atx 990 stolen in the city (syd) once. It was a 98 model with Hi-5 forks and running CTR plates. It was stolen in surry Hills at the australian institure of music. A mate actually saw it around the place......but didnt know it had been stolen. I would love to hae this bike back, sentimental value and all. It was taken in 01

I had a Trek Bruiser 2 stolen from my work in hornsby (hornsby inn) (in a security camera area, but they weren't seen on camera?). I figure it is either still in the area, or possibly in QLD. One local seemed to be awful interested in "helping" me find the theif, but about 2 days later he moved to qld, without telling me or anything. Pretty strange for someone who is a "mate". I also never told him where I kept my bike but he already knew, and as a local he might have known the camera layouts (they werent hidden).
The bike was unique in the fact it had different fork legs to the standard model. Mine were black and the originals were silver. My forks were snapped and had the lowers replaced. stolen in 03.

a guy walked into my open garage and reached for my handle bar of my bike 2 pick it up then i open the door and saw hil and he quickly tried to look normal and then he said 2 me 'do u know where millitary rode is i was looking for it and i ended up here' (its like a half an hour drive away)

then i said no and he ran off

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
this got me laughing pretty hard:
http://vpfree.pinkbike.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=98920

FreeridingXCguy said:
2:15 AM. I leave my freinds house after a night/afternoon of drinking. Drank a decent amount of beer, we made another beeramid. Good times. I come home in the front door, without setting off my garage remote lights. I come in a little wrecked and horribly tired. Have to get up in 2 hours for work. Goddamn it. Well I go into my room and proceed to take my clothes off for bed. Shirt and socks, gone. All of a sudden my remote lights turn on. First thought is its my freind messing with me, or taking something he forgot. So I decide to scare the sh*t out of him. I glance at my weapons collection and decide on my 55LB draw longbow off the wall and an arrow, hoping to do some kind of show and make him sh*t himself. No sooner do I grab it, I look out my patio door and theres some black dude (all the people I was with are white) inching out my gate with my 20 dollar commuter road bike. Drunk and tired are gone, only a mixture of desperation and rage. I whip through my hallway and decide on the way theres no time for shoes, its too dark and would waste time. I spill onto the street wearing no shirt and bare feet clutching a native longbow with a nocked arrow. I look around quickly trying to find any sign of him. I spot the sonofabitch halfway into a condo complex. Its a U shaped complex with many exits but I figured its a road bike so he may stick to the road, and I wouldnt be able to catch him if he did take those. So I take my last ditch of hope and run to the exit of the u shaped road. I was training for the Canadian Death Race and was running more then 100k a week before I tapered so I can get some mean lead out. I sprint down the road and sure enough, theres the boner exiting the road. I run as fast as humanely possible, stop dead, re-nock the arrow and take aim (hes not going TOO fast since he obviously had no idea how to work the old school suicide shifters and i was in a disgustingly low gear beforehand). I release, and off goes the arrow. Straight into his ass. I hear the most pathetic groan/scream/whine I have ever heard and he continues on (using the leg without the punctured ass cheek I would assume) making these "uhn uhn uhn" crying noises as he goes. Definately worth the 20 bucks I paid for that bike! hahahaha!!!!!!!!! He still got the bike, but good luck taking that arrow out. From the other side of my yard that bow can put an arrow straight through my fence. Regular target tip (didnt think i would need a broadhead to scare my friend ) but the job was done. I laughed for hours at this, and of course completely kaiboshed the possibilty of sleep doing so. I could just imagine what was going through the bastards head as he watched an enraged dude chasing after him with a native bow, no shirt and no shoes. I feel like a million bucks right about now.

Me: 1

Bike thieves: unfortunately 5... but hey its progress!

sammy boy

Likes Dirt
fartaholic27 said:
This bike wasnt stolen but its a funny story. My mate was over at my house once when we decided to go for a ride. He had left his bike at the top of my driveway and when we got there it wasnt there. He borrowed my bike and took of thinking someone had nicked of with it. While he was gone i looked around my front yard and there was his bike hiding behind my dads boat. Our freind next door had moved it as a joke. Anyway i rode the bike down to his house and his mum said he was up the street. Me and his naibour went up the street to find him and we waited at the top of the hill. Then the cops come round the corner. "whos bike is that" its my freinds '" why have u got it" im trying to find him to give it back to him becausew he thought it was stolen "he is up at the station looking for it" anyway they ended up calling the station and telling my mate to come down and get his bike. so he got there and we swapped bikes and all was good

Sorry if i bored sum of u
not the funniest joke, but its a good story :D

d@ve

Likes Dirt
Well my stories are nowhere near as hilariuos as that previous one. But anyway, firstly I had this shitty old repco superlite racer that I got for next to nothing at an op shop,but I still would always chain it up. One day I came back to it (parked outside the bikeshop mind you) and sum pathetic person had hacked my cable lock something shocking, to try and steal my old racer, ifelt pretty good actually because, the lock had not let me down, all the plastic had been stripped off and the strands of cable were partially severed but he didn't win.

The other story is only a few weeks ago. I had ridden to the pub on a tuesday night (regular occurance) and parked my then GT hardtail outside and locked it up. As I had never had any problems before I didn't expect anything to happen to it. On leaving the pub (a bit tipsy mind you) I preceded to unlock my bike and noticed that some prick had stolen my frigging helmet, i thought oh well at least the bikes OK, I then rode home and parked the bike in the shed. The next morning I went out to get my bike to ride to UNI, I then discovered that in my drunken state the previous night i ahd been lucky to escape serious injury, the theif had also taken my quick release skewers and i had ridden home with the wheels only sitting in the frame and being held in by my V brakes- I had even bunnyhopped a gutter. Aty the time it was actually very funny but it could have been very nasty.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I had my Giant hardtail nicked just over a year ago from right outside the gym I train at on Flinder St in Melbourne. It's a fairly busy street even in the evening but off the thieving bastards went with my bike and one (I assume) severed Kryptonite cablelock. It was parked in the view of a cctv camera but unfortch the cops didn't seem too bothered about having a look.

Personally I agree with the rottweiller idea. Be a bugger to feed though...

On a lighter note though I dropped my mobile phone coming home from the pub on Fitzroy St, St Kilda a couple of years ago. Those of you who know melbourne will know just how seedy it is so I pretty much wrote it off. Imagine my shock when one of my mates called it a day later and got through to St Kilda Police Station. Someone had actually handed it in? Can't say that happens too often!

residentslacker

Cannon Fodder
I had most of a bike stolen recently. It was a commuter/light trail rider and I replaced it quickly, but that doesn't make me feel any better about some loser riding on things I paid for.

Funnily enough, this happened over the road from a cop station. And only a few nights before they'd fined me for crossing a street when the signal wasn't green (yes, "jay walking"). Of course, the cops don't give two shits about my bike. Just the road I crossed. :mad:

That crossbow story is funny, but kinda scary. Who scares their friends with a crossbow?! :)

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
residentslacker said:
I had most of a bike stolen recently. It was a commuter/light trail rider and I replaced it quickly, but that doesn't make me feel any better about some loser riding on things I paid for.

Funnily enough, this happened over the road from a cop station. And only a few nights before they'd fined me for crossing a street when the signal wasn't green (yes, "jay walking"). Of course, the cops don't give two shits about my bike. Just the road I crossed. :mad:

That crossbow story is funny, but kinda scary. Who scares their friends with a crossbow?! :)
it was a longbow bit of a difference...a decent crossbow would of gone right though the prick...i used to own one and could fire it though dads archery(compond bow targets) targets and it would continue(about 10-15 m from target to fence) though the fence and stop about 20-40 metres form the fence when it would go into the ground so you could only see the ends of the bolts

skivi

Likes Dirt
that story about the longbvow to the ass was a pisser, i mean imagine pulling an arrow out of you ass and all for a hunk of poo bike :D

demo man

Used to be cool.
the only story that fits in here (sorta) is when i had only just got the Demo 9. i was riding it and this very heavily built guy started talking to me about it (turns out he used to be a pretty highly skilled local DHer). i am there, sitting on this spanking new Demo 9, freaking out in my head that he was going to take the thing, and there was so nothing i could do about it, he was my height (just under 6ft), but all muscle, he was a builder, and around 25yrs old.

anyway, that guy ended up buying my Stinky from me! after he expressed his interest in picking up a bike again i told him about my Kona and he was interested, so he came to my place (yes, right then and there, i trusted him at this point, i don't know why though) and paid a decent price for the old rig. i was quite happy!

i have also decided that i am going to buy some form of slightly ammiusing firearm, such as a bow + arrows after hearing that story.
any suggestions on what sort of non-lethal weapon would suit best?

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
used to work at a well known big brand chew and spew pizza place in windsor NSW, and there was a guy there that raced XC, and from what i know was pretty damn good at it 2 ( state champion at one stage??) anyways, he used to leave his bike parked out the back all the time, was a blue steel thing, but i have no idea what brand, expensive tho. no one ever touched it.

one nite this other guy blew up the motor in his car so borrowed his roomates shitter and rode it to work, he hid it under a big pile of boxes out the back, came out at the end of his shift and gooooonnneeee! couldnt beleive it. scum.