Video makers 'post here'

STRETCH JP

Likes Dirt
G'day guys thought i would start a thread about video stuff, dosn't matter if its questions about techniques for filming or editing or anything like that.

Any problems you have post it up and if i dont no the answer im sure other video making farkiners would have something to say.

OK i should start then, i thought about this for a while, whats better for editing sport vids final cut pro or avid, i know they are almost the same but does one have a certain better quality than the other?

Post away!

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
Ahh goodie. Is there a way to connect a firewire cable to a camera that doesn't have a firewire output? Is there some attachment that you can plug in to the S-Video output or USB output? It's probably not THAT nessisary right now but would like to know if it can be done. The camera is from JVC's Everio G series.

I can't help you with the software question, I would still be concidered a n00b.

PS. General MTB?

Last edited:

STRETCH JP

Likes Dirt
Sorry mate there si no such thing. i klnow because my mate has the same camera and i have a mac. I tryed so many places like dicksmiths powerhouse and lots of speacialty computer shops and they said it would be illegal to have such a connection because it goes against the rules or something. You reckon JVC could make a firewire connection on there everios eh!:mad:

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, what is a good video media converter. I've looked for ages but have been a lil' unsuccessful, Thanks.

The Paperboy

Likes Dirt
Can some of you guys who know a fair bit about cameras. Make a post about what to look for in a new camera and what is a good starting price for someone wanting to start making their own videos.

Thanks
The Paperboy

STRETCH JP

Likes Dirt
Can some of you guys who know a fair bit about cameras. Make a post about what to look for in a new camera and what is a good starting price for someone wanting to start making their own videos.

Thanks
The Paperboy
Alright, if you want a camera that picks up footage and crispness, i reckon the panasonic NV GS180 is great at only $899. The size is a little small so you might want a tripod because smallness adds to your shakeness, but really it dosnt matter to much if you got a steady hand. It is also a 3ccd camera which means it analyzes your footage with 3 chips unlike the your basic camera that only has one chip, which means better quality colour and sharper footage. Its also a tape camera which i recommend over harddisk or dvd cameras because there a lot morer reliable and theres no difference in the overall quality. That is what you want in a camera but if you have a little bit more money you go for the new sony range of Hidef cams there also good but a little pricey.

Hope i helped.

jack giant

Likes Dirt
I am buying a camera in the next week and have my mind set on a panasonic NV GS-300 (retail for around 1400 but i am only paying 900). Are there any other cameras out there that would be a better overall package or that are just better for the price range. thanks

nathanm

Eats Squid
In regards to "The Paperboys" comments about what camera to buy, I'd suggest the below -

Essentially as previously stated you're looking for a Camera that's "3CCD", which allows the camera to view Red, Green and Blue separately.
WTF does that mean though? Basically better and sharper picture quality.

You also want to look for something with the highest pixels, like you would with a stardard digital picture camera! Again, more pixels, better picture quality.

There's debate now about MiniDv (tape) and Hard drive/DVD camera's. personally I used MiniDv but destroyed a camera due to dust/weather and have converted to Hard Drive. personally I think less moving parts = less wear plus you don't lose quality/suffer breakups in conversion from tape to computer

Also worth considering is does the camera have the ability to connect and external mic as the internal ones are crap and subject to wind distortion. It may not mean that much in biking action shots as most movies have soundtracks, but think about things such as interviews with riders and that all important thudding and breaking noises after a crash!

Lastly, take into account things like start up time, as there's nothing more annoying than filming a race and missing a rider whilst waiting for your camera to go from standby to ready! Plus Battery time, as think about how long a race/ride takes. Most camera's only run about 60 minutes so can you get bigger/cheap extra batteries.

My background is amateur rally (car) videography. I've filmed/edited/produced and sold a video of my local states rally series.

On a parting note, for everyone (me included) that has dreams of running out and making their own DVD I say go for it. But don't be fooled into thinking you can film one session of your mates, edit it with something you down loaded over the net and have something like what you can buy.
It's doable but it takes 100's of hours of footage and patience!
Best way to learn it get out there and start shooting, get hours and hours of footage and play it back. You'll quickly learn about camera angle's, focus, framing etc and you're on your way.

For everyone else, there's youtube :eek:

how long before demo_man finds this thread...:p

personally, i'm just after a basic movie editing software, i've had some fun with movie maker, and would like to move onto something a little more advanced...

ease of use a priority, but i want the next step or two up from movie maker, what should i get my hands on ?

also a little off topic, audio editing anyone ?

there are some films i have that i'd like to be able to rip the sound off & save as an mp3, as well as when i have audio i'd like to be able to cut parts out, raise volume in places, etc.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
anyone know a program that will batch convert the mod files used in JVC harddrive cameras to mpeg?

As for software I like Sony vegus but have also use premiere and ulead.

Ulead DVD studio was probably t he simplest but Premiere and Vegus have a lot more features and control

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Heres one for the serious folks....What format would you prefer...

HD or 16mm?

Given the cheap cost of filming in HD, vs the expense of developing film....will the advantage and appeal of 16mm still win out to serious filmers in the future?

One of the most interesting points of discussion, that many people seem to forget is that Super 16mm is still of superior quality to HD.....as in...clearer than 1920x1080 when properly developed. And of course with it you get the advantage of film speed (so when you slow things down it will not lose quality from motion blur and frame blending).

But what if an advance in technology sees prosumer HD cameras capable of higher tape speeds (permanently...not for short bursts)?

An interesting question. I still think given a good budget, Super 16mm would be amazzzing to shoot with, there is no way to get the REAL film look from a digital source.

STRETCH JP

Likes Dirt
16mm is much more superior to HD but the cost of film and size just makes to hard to manage unless your a high end film crew like freerdie films that make things like NWD's. HD is much more accseable for low budjet movie makers and still produce high quality footage!

But if you want to see the latest and greatest in camera tech that we will probably never be able to afford check this out!!!
Its from the guy that started oakly.

http://www.hdcinemagroup.com/red/

Attachments

STRETCH JP

Likes Dirt
how long before demo_man finds this thread...:p

personally, i'm just after a basic movie editing software, i've had some fun with movie maker, and would like to move onto something a little more advanced...

ease of use a priority, but i want the next step or two up from movie maker, what should i get my hands on ?

also a little off topic, audio editing anyone ?

there are some films i have that i'd like to be able to rip the sound off & save as an mp3, as well as when i have audio i'd like to be able to cut parts out, raise volume in places, etc.
Dont know to much about pc, because i have a mac,although heard sony vegas is good same with the new ulead, also i believe you can get avid on pc it s great and nearlly the same as final cut pro,
you cant go wrong with avid :rolleyes:

projectsplat

The film guy
Ahh goodie. Is there a way to connect a firewire cable to a camera that doesn't have a firewire output? Is there some attachment that you can plug in to the S-Video output or USB output? It's probably not THAT nessisary right now but would like to know if it can be done. The camera is from JVC's Everio G series.
There is a box called a Canopus ADVC 110. It is an analogue to digital video convertor that will allow you to plug the analogue outputs of your camera and convert it to a firewire signal that you mac will read.

http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC110/index.php

Cheers

Al

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
There is a box called a Canopus ADVC 110. It is an analogue to digital video convertor that will allow you to plug the analogue outputs of your camera and convert it to a firewire signal that you mac will read.

http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC110/index.php

Cheers

Al
Kickass! Thanks dude, sounds just like what I need.

anyone know a program that will batch convert the mod files used in JVC harddrive cameras to mpeg?
Ahh, I'm having the same problems with my camera. One simple way to convert the .MOD files to .MPG is simply change the extension to .MPG. Sounds stupidly simple but it works, pain in the ass if you want to edit a lot of videos. Ohh, and I do believe certain programs such as Video Studio 9 converts them, I am yet to try but found out here...

http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/9735p1.html

Every answer you will ever need for the camera.

that you mac will read.
I dont have a Mac. :)

Last edited: