Video makers 'post here'

treggs

Treggs Tuned
I agree with Demo Man about Vegas. It is a very good package especially teamed with DVD Architect. It is quite easy to go from orignal footage to a professional looking finished product. Vegas does the main video content and DVD architect does the final DVD production and tweaking. The motion stuff isn't too bad once you get used to it. I tried some of the adobe products but me and adobe just don't seem to get along.

projectsplat

The film guy
I am buying a camera in the next week and have my mind set on a panasonic NV GS-300 (retail for around 1400 but i am only paying 900). Are there any other cameras out there that would be a better overall package or that are just better for the price range. thanks
Tops recommendation. It's a great camera. I have a number of friends with them who love them. Great quality for a great price, and none of the hang ups of the new consumer HD cameras. If I had the lazy grand lying around, I would be buying one asap. Unfortunately, my money is already spent :-(

Nick05

Likes Bikes
camera & programs

heyy, i make heaps of videos just of a couple of mates & i riding but..
all the footage i've got is just with my little digital camera, so it comes out on a dvd all pixelated & blury. can anyone recomend a decent video camera that isnt too pricey?
also two great programs i use to edit all my videos are imovie & then idvd on our mac, i recomend trying them sometime, its simple but one you learn the basics you can take it a long way.
cheers, nick

STRETCH JP

Likes Dirt
all the footage i've got is just with my little digital camera, so it comes out on a dvd all pixelated & blury. can anyone recomend a decent video camera that isnt too pricey?
also two great programs i use to edit all my videos are imovie & then idvd on our mac, i recomend trying them sometime, its simple but one you learn the basics you can take it a long way.
cheers, nick
Read some of the other post theres some good cameras there.

projectsplat

The film guy
cheers, nick
Read some of the other post theres some good cameras there.
Indeed. Nick, it would also help if you told us what sort of camera you are shooting with, as "little digital camera" probably narrows it down to about 7-10,000 cameras.

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok, I'd like to get a video camera and get one cheap like $100 - $200 and I came across this

problem is I know nothing of video cameras or just normal cameras. so please don't flame me.

So is it worth it?????

STRETCH JP

Likes Dirt
ok, I'd like to get a video camera and get one cheap like $100 - $200 and I came across this

problem is I know nothing of video cameras or just normal cameras. so please don't flame me.

So is it worth it?????
anything that cheap cant be good, its really worth saving up and purchasing a real camera if you save up too $450-500 would be better, it will be alot more rewarding knowing that you a good quality cam when you go film.

projectsplat

The film guy
anything that cheap cant be good, its really worth saving up and purchasing a real camera if you save up too $450-500 would be better, it will be alot more rewarding knowing that you a good quality cam when you go film.
i would agree. the camera that you have listed mr dirt seems to be a bit out there in terms of design and features. This may, at first, seem like a good thing, but it also means that this camera adheres to no current standards in the video industry.

ooh, another point of interest is that whilst the camera lists a "10MP" resolution, yet it shoots video at 640x480, which is 0.3MP - this is a big difference, and as you might suspect, 640x480 is not a current video standard.

I would also suspect that it will go for a lot more than $100-200.

what you really need at this stage is something that will shoot to DV tape (standard) and has a firewire port (standard). This will mean that you are shooting in a format that 100% of current editing programs will support and work with easily.

if you do go for the camera you listed, you will be a bit out in the wilderness in terms of support. that is cool if you really know what you are doing, but very uncool if you do not.

i would suggest saving up a bit more cash, and picking up one of the panasonic models as listed in this thread. they are great bang for buck, and will deliver great quality.

you could also try something in the canon range which are a bit cheaper, and a great first camera.

cheers

al

projectsplat

The film guy
Haha, thats what I always used to say when they told me to try and find a way to shoot film instead of DV/HD...Its a very good point!

I really can't make any points on either side of the table because i have almost NO practical experience in either mediums:eek: They are all very good points!

I guess its always been so hard to reproduce a genuine film look, but nowadays technology is catching up so fast. Just like the DSLR conversion that happened so quickly, maybe if Digital finds a really good medium things might change overnight...a scary thought!
Hey Olly,

I just checked out the new trailer for your flick. Looks good, although I am a little concerned with the colour grade. The colours are so highly saturated, they are almost bleeding off the screen. I realise that is probably the look you are going for, but you might want to back it off just a bit, as it can cause you problems with compression down the track.

Cheers

Al

Nick05

Likes Bikes
heyy, sorry :( the camera i use at the moment is a pentax optio 555 its a couple of years old. the pics are great but the videos are...umm, not great. i looked at the jvc everio hard disk cameras, a family member (who is a cameraman for channel nine) told me they were crap tho ugh. any opinions?
thanks

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
heyy, sorry :( the camera i use at the moment is a pentax optio 555 its a couple of years old. the pics are great but the videos are...umm, not great. i looked at the jvc everio hard disk cameras, a family member (who is a cameraman for channel nine) told me they were crap tho ugh. any opinions?
thanks
I've got one. The image quality isn't too bad and it's nice not having to worry about tapes but...

The brightness can be a bit annoying at times and the format for the files are impossible to work with. Ohh, and no FireWire output. :mad:

Save yourself the trouble and spend that amount of money on a kick ass DV camera.

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i would agree. the camera that you have listed mr dirt seems to be a bit out there in terms of design and features. This may, at first, seem like a good thing, but it also means that this camera adheres to no current standards in the video industry.

ooh, another point of interest is that whilst the camera lists a "10MP" resolution, yet it shoots video at 640x480, which is 0.3MP - this is a big difference, and as you might suspect, 640x480 is not a current video standard.

I would also suspect that it will go for a lot more than $100-200.

what you really need at this stage is something that will shoot to DV tape (standard) and has a firewire port (standard). This will mean that you are shooting in a format that 100% of current editing programs will support and work with easily.

if you do go for the camera you listed, you will be a bit out in the wilderness in terms of support. that is cool if you really know what you are doing, but very uncool if you do not.

i would suggest saving up a bit more cash, and picking up one of the panasonic models as listed in this thread. they are great bang for buck, and will deliver great quality.

you could also try something in the canon range which are a bit cheaper, and a great first camera.

cheers

al
Yeh I think I'll do that you guys definitely know what you're talking about by the sounds of out I haven't got a clue:p

But yeh I'll save up for a bit and grab one of those canon or panasonic dowackers.

So is a fireport like a USB to connect it to the computer?

One more question (sorry if they're getting annoying I'm just really intrested been studying Film & Televison at school and loving it)

whats a good editing program I don't wanna spend heaps but just a good program thats better than windows movie maker:p .

STRETCH JP

Likes Dirt
Yeh I think I'll do that you guys definitely know what you're talking about by the sounds of out I haven't got a clue:p

But yeh I'll save up for a bit and grab one of those canon or panasonic dowackers.

So is a fireport like a USB to connect it to the computer?

One more question (sorry if they're getting annoying I'm just really intrested been studying Film & Televison at school and loving it)

whats a good editing program I don't wanna spend heaps but just a good program thats better than windows movie maker:p .
A firewire port is like a USB plug just different format, mostly used to plug into a mac. You want another editing program, maybe try download one of the internet other than that theres,ulead, sony vegas, avid, etc. Dont know as much about pc editing software.
more of a mac guy. :)p)

Cheers

jimmy_22

Likes Dirt
i have a dillemma.
i have a panasonic gs-180, the image quality should be really good. but when i capture video onto my computer (through vegas) it always turns out dull is there something i have to change on the camera settings or is it the computer itself? what can i do to fix it? cause im out of ideas