Recent content by 251

1. 251

Product Review Huck Norris anti flat tubeless protection

Last March I put the medium Huck Norris in both tyres on my rigid 29er (29x2.4 tyres on 30mm-internal carbon rims) after frequent pinch flats/cuts. They've done quite well and I haven't had any flats since. Based on that, about six months ago I put a large Hack Norris in the rear on my 27.5+...
  2. 251

Plus sized bikes

Yes, shops do sell tyres, but not too many 27.5x2.8" 120tpi Minions. I have one on order through my local shop, but this will have to do until it arrives. I stitched the tear/slash, used a large patch on the inside of the tyre, and clamped the patch as it dried. It held air immediately with no...
  3. 251

Plus sized bikes

My 27+ Norco Torrent 7.1 has been a great bike. It's definitely more fun than most hardtails I've ridden, but I suspect the geometry is as important, if not more important, than the tyres. As far as the tyres go, I've only ridden the original 2.8 Minion DHF / DHR II combo that came on the bike...
  4. 251

Adelaide

This is a good summary of the major trails: http://adelaidemtbtrails.com. Depending on how much time you have, you can make a good loop through Shepherds Hill, Sturt Gorge, Craigburn Farm and Mitcham Trails (Lynton).
  5. 251

Project Enduro Frame Re-spay, Graphics, Re-build.

I'm very happy with the yellow, and the powder coat has been holding up well. I did manage to crack the frame again (after four rides), but it was re-welded and it turns out that I chose the same shade of yellow you'd see on a bollard or some council warning sign, so touch up paint wasn't hard...
  6. 251

Project Enduro Frame Re-spay, Graphics, Re-build.

I recently had my cracked 29er frame repaired and powder coated. The powder coat, including sandblasting the frame and fork, was $80 or $90 at Central Powder Coaters in Adelaide. I also got some cut-vinyl decals off of eBay for about $20. Before: After:
  7. 251

Who's using pinch flat protection

I just ordered a set of Huck Norris strips/inserts. I haven't installed the yet, but I'll let you know how they go. I've been playing with low pressures in my rigid 29er w/ 29x2.4 Ardents as well as my 27+ hardtail with 27.5x2.8 Minions. I've managed to pinch flat both tyres on the 29er...
  8. 251

Experience with SRAM NX/GX/X1?

I am really liking the Torrent. Coming from mostly XC bikes (26" hardtail, rigid 29er), I wasn't convinced that I'd like the geometry and the plus tyres. Prior to the Torrent, I swapped some wide carbon rims w/ 29x2.4 tyres and a dropper on to my rigid 29er. Soon after, I broke the frame, had it...
  9. 251

What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Swapped an NX shifter for an X1. Now it has fewer clamps and is a bit more clicky.
  10. 251

I recently swapped the NX cassette and Shimano freehub body on the Torrent for a GX cassette and XD driver. As you'd expect, the 10t cog made a noticeable difference to the top-end gearing, but there was also a larger than expected weight savings. The steel Novatec Shimano freehub body was 148g...
  11. 251

Alright, I've been riding NX for a couple weeks and it is much better than I expected. It's impressive for a cheap, entry-level groupset. I rode it back to back with an X1 bike, and while there were differences, primarily in the shifter feel, they were minor. I've also switched between the new...
  12. 251

Thanks for the info. I think I'm leaning towards a GX derailleur and an X1/X01 shifter. The cassette will likely be a GX if I decide the 10t cog is worth it, or XT/Sunrace if the 11t is enough. The stock ring is a 28t, which seems low, but I'm sure these 27.5x2.8 Minions aren't going to be all...
  13. 251

I have a new Norco Torrent on the way with a SRAM NX derailleur and shifter. I'm not all that interested in keeping NX on the bike and am looking at swapping to a GX or X1 shifter and possibly the derailleur, too. I'm not really too concerned with the derailleur, but the NX shifter has its own...
  14. 251

VIC [MELB] 180mm 200mm Brake Rotors 6 bolt pattern

I have a couple of 200mm Avid HS1 rotors with minimal wear. $20 for the pair, located in SA, can post.