Experience with SRAM NX/GX/X1?

Squid
Alright, I've been riding NX for a couple weeks and it is much better than I expected. It's impressive for a cheap, entry-level groupset.

I rode it back to back with an X1 bike, and while there were differences, primarily in the shifter feel, they were minor. I've also switched between the new NX bike and my XT/XTR bike, and can't say I find NX lacking. I was all set to order an X1/GX drivetrain, but at this stage I'm going to leave NX as-is until I break something or get bored.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Alright, I've been riding NX for a couple weeks and it is much better than I expected. It's impressive for a cheap, entry-level groupset.

I rode it back to back with an X1 bike, and while there were differences, primarily in the shifter feel, they were minor. I've also switched between the new NX bike and my XT/XTR bike, and can't say I find NX lacking. I was all set to order an X1/GX drivetrain, but at this stage I'm going to leave NX as-is until I break something or get bored.
Bet if you buy an X1 shifter, you wouldn't tell the difference in a complete X1 vs NX (with X1 shifter).

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
The Torrent comes with a RaceFace Aeffect crank that takes direct mount rings and looks decent enough. The only downside is that I have a SRAM 1400-series crank on my SS and the rings aren't interchangeable.
Let me know if you want to swap the raceface for an X1 (1400) or X9 (same).

Squid
GX.jpg

I recently swapped the NX cassette and Shimano freehub body on the Torrent for a GX cassette and XD driver. As you'd expect, the 10t cog made a noticeable difference to the top-end gearing, but there was also a larger than expected weight savings.

The steel Novatec Shimano freehub body was 148g
while the new aluminium Novatec XD driver is only 80g. The cassette weights were close to advertised at 527g for the NX and 391g for the GX (the 1150 with the steel 42t cog). The total weight reduction was a bit over 200g.

For anyone with a Novatec D712SB hub, the XD driver part number is fh-xd-b2-4p-al and it was $130USD from Novatec USA, which seems a bit steep, but it works.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
View attachment 334965

I recently swapped the NX cassette and Shimano freehub body on the Torrent for a GX cassette and XD driver. As you'd expect, the 10t cog made a noticeable difference to the top-end gearing, but there was also a larger than expected weight savings.

The steel Novatec Shimano freehub body was 148g
while the new aluminium Novatec XD driver is only 80g. The cassette weights were close to advertised at 527g for the NX and 391g for the GX (the 1150 with the steel 42t cog). The total weight reduction was a bit over 200g.

For anyone with a Novatec D712SB hub, the XD driver part number is fh-xd-b2-4p-al and it was $130USD from Novatec USA, which seems a bit steep, but it works.
Wash your bike ya grubby animal :washing:

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas

More importantly, what's your opinion of the Torrent? Can you compare it to a full suspension (120-140mm)?

What kind of terrain are you riding on?

Squid
More importantly, what's your opinion of the Torrent? Can you compare it to a full suspension (120-140mm)?

What kind of terrain are you riding on?
zaNR-j3WSxavGfAmN9rAKvq4IwVE-6xuUtXqEPLRsU8-2048x1536.jpg

I am really liking the Torrent. Coming from mostly XC bikes (26" hardtail, rigid 29er), I wasn't convinced that I'd like the geometry and the plus tyres. Prior to the Torrent, I swapped some wide carbon rims w/ 29x2.4 tyres and a dropper on to my rigid 29er. Soon after, I broke the frame, had it repaired and then immediately broke it again. The Torrent was probably an overreaction all of this.

I bought it with a plan to swap the 27+ wheels for a lighter 29er option if the plus tyres didn't work out. However, I've found the tyres to roll quite well, and they don't feel as heavy as they look. Likewise, the geometry and 780mm bars were a nice surprise. I didn't expect riding a 14kg bike up a long climb would be much fun (the Torrent has at least 3kg on my other bikes), but it's been fine.

I haven't ridden many FS bikes for extended periods, but those that I have I didn't particularly care for. I'm not opposed to getting one at some point, I just haven't found one I like.

I've ridden the Torrent on my local trails around Adelaide, which I suppose would be mostly rocky, loose and sandy. Most rides are in the 1-2 hour/20-30km range with 500-1000m of climbing. It does well on the tracks in Sturt Gorge, Eagle, Mitcham and Shepherds Hill, but I think it really feels right at Fox Creek which is a bit more open and faster than the others.

Back to the original topic, I swapped the NX shifter for an X1 a few weeks ago. The X1 feels less flexy/plasticy than the NX and has more positive clicks. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable.