Recent content by AaronM

1. A

MALF Newbie

New FD-M4000 front derailleur arrived yesterday. It’s basically an “Alivio” series 3x unit (obvious Shimano). The massive step up in material and structure from the FD-M390 (aka Altus or entry level) is unexpected, yet somewhat restores my faith that this was the right move. When I eventually...
  2. A

Fire Warnings

We haven’t had regular postal service (or courier) for about a month between the Hume Highway closures and the AQI getting the posties off the streets. In any case getting something like that to seal effectively is probably challenge, although way better than the disposable types people people...
  3. A

Fire Warnings

I rent a near 40 year old run-down house in the houso end of dingy neglected suburb. There’s the same air inside as outside. So getting out really doesn’t change much. That said took my time and didn’t really work up any great level of exertion.
  4. A

Fire Warnings

Just got out on the bike a did a 18km lap around my end of the world. There’s bigger all people moving about, very few cars on the roads also. It’s deathly quiet really, no lawn mowers going in the distance, nothing. The Monash Air Quality Station. It’s less visible than when we had the epic...
  5. A

MALF Newbie

@slowmick They have stock of the Epixons back at Cyclingdeal. Can say I am very happy with mine, so much so I’m thinking of grabbing a set of the NRX (hybrid 700) Airs for my wife’s bike as well.
  6. A

Fire Warnings

I think my wife counted 43 drops
  7. A

Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

That’s a proper parliament approved GeoThermal opportunity now. Green Energy here we come.
  8. A

What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Pumped my Suntour Epixon to the recommended pressure for my weight and ride it 10km including some single track. Will be dropping it a bit. Am I right I’m assuming I should get the compression (aka air pressure) rate roughly where I like it first before chasing rebound settings?
  9. A

Fire Warnings

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/help-emergency/bushfires If you know people affected - keep a watch on this site - The AGDRP of $1K May help them. They may be eligible for income support if they can’t work as a result of fires (ie casual employees of a closed store etc). Or...
  10. A

Fire Warnings

Converting low-hour military choppers is vastly different economically to converting high-hour high-cycle transport aircraft. Definitely a good strategic decision given the value of used Blackhawks on the open used arms market. Overall the Shorten/Labor approach would be a better long term...
  11. A

Fire Warnings

Mikes right, military assets are extremely useful to support logistics (as we are seeing right now), but that’s because support logistics are very common between emergency and warfare situations. Dual-role tactical functions not so much. It’s no different to trying to use a DH MTB as a commuter...
  12. A

Dictator for a day

Get a sweet Company car and then start sorting shit out ;)
  13. A

“Monash Air Pollution Monitor” - it measured the most polluted air in the ACT in the past few days. 400m from my place as the smoke drifts.
  14. A

What can’t ride in this? That’s about half an hour ago 600m from my place, the wasteland is more wasteland than usual.
  15. A

The election thread - Will the new PM last a full term - who will you futilely vote for?

And the only way it will change is if people start at the grassroots backing candidates of their choosing, participate in their party at a local level, be vocal, be heard, change it from the inside. Step up and take part in more than just the final popularity contest that is the election. It...