Recent content by big gags

1. B

Lighter Trail/AM-ish bikes for tall blokes: Reach and TT comparisons

Of course if you want ridiculously big then there's always Zinn - can also get some custom 205 mm cranks to tap into some of that tall man power!! http://zinncycles.com/Zinn/about/project-big-custom-series/full-suspension/gigabike-am-29er/
  2. B

Hilo, Just saw the Turner Czar online - they have an XX size and the geometry looks pretty big: https://www.turnerbikes.com/bikes/czar-v1-1/ Might be worth including in your considerations??
  3. B

Hey PB (obviously worked out who you are!!) - check out the Fikas bike in the 6th image on this link (as you can see, I'm actually in the photo checking it out!!). http://modularbikes.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/wooden-bikes-at-melburn-custom-bicycle.html I played footy with Luke up in Canberra in...
  4. B

Yarra Trails regulars

Rode out to Candlebark today for 40 km or so - that corner that you mentioned as being blocked off has now been reversed and the straight line has been blocked off with piles of logs/branches and the sweeper is now the only way to get through there - go figure!! The trails were in great shape...
  5. B

Yarra Trails regulars

Someone asked me why I was going to do it on an SS and the only thing I can come up with is "just because" :) My other thought with running the 20 on the BT is that I only have 175 mm cranks on it compared to 180 mm on the KM and so I figured that one gear easier might be the way to go. I...
  6. B

Yarra Trails regulars

JD - was on the Karate Monkey SS but still getting out on the Big Top regularly (now 1x10). I have actually entered the Bright 24hr for next month as a solo and I am doing it on the SS. Plan is to use the Karate Monkey but I am in the process of changing the dropouts on the Big Top and I am...
  7. B

Yarra Trails regulars

Got out on the YT today for the first time in ages!! Found the new (or at least newish) section from a bit before Bonds Rd (outbound) that cuts down to the right and links up with the track paralleling the path just before Odyssey house.....nice bit of trail work there - good job whoever put it...
  8. B

Handlebar Height/ rise questions

Got to agree on the wide bars JD - love them!! When I first went from 680 mm to 780 mm Renthals on the SS 29er it was a revelation - it seemed to open up my whole chest and make it a whole lot easier to breathe and the extra leverage allowed me to pull a bit harder on the bars when climbing...
  9. B

VIC XXL Santa Cruz Highball Carbon, REMOVE thanks

Hey JD - I'll swap you for an XL Yeti Big Top!!
  10. B

Home gym versus Commercial gym

A good option for general fitness that takes up bugger all space is a TRX suspension trainer - you can attach it to a ring mounted in a wall, a tree, some play equipment, or there is even an attachment that comes with it to let you use the top of a door. There are stacks of exercises that you...
  11. B

The Smiths Gully Thread

Got out for a SS ride at Smiths Gully today - the recent rain has improved things a lot out there and the traction available this morning was better than it has been out there for a long time!! On the drive out a mate called me and said he had stopped just North of Panton Hill as there was an...
  12. B

Concussion

I was getting some pretty severe headaches a couple of years ago and vibrations through the handlebars on cross country riding were sending shooting pains through to my left temple and it got to the point that the impact of my feet when walking was sending shooting pains through my head!! I...
  13. B

Yarra Trails regulars

I did a couple of laps of Candlebark yesterday on the SS with three other guys - the tracks were definitely better for the recent rain and apart from being really, really humid it was a great morning to be out riding (and no snakes spotted which was a bonus!!). For those who haven't done so...
  14. B

Cracked ribs, approx recovery time.

Six weeks. Also about the same for severely bruised ribs which I reckon are just as if not more painful than a cracked rib!!
  15. B

Yarra Trails regulars

Was talking to a mate of mine who lives in Wattle Glen. He had a tiger snake that was hanging around near the front door so he called a local snake catcher to remove it for him. The guy apparently bashed around a couple of bushes with a window squidgee of all things and then located the snake...